Valvoline quick lube sucked my oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I usually don't like to leave things for the last day, but today's the last day when I needed to get my car inspected.

On my way home from work, I stopped at a Valvoline Quick Lube to get my car inspected. I was the third in line. I park my car and go to the Overstock store and browse a bit. When I come back, the owner comes out and I tell him again, I need an inspection. He asks me to pull up. I pull up, pull out the registration card and leave it on the dash, and go inside the shop to read a book while I wait.

Behind me was a new Odyssey that belonged to a woman with kids that were waiting inside. The owner comes inside and she tells him to change the oil, filters, check the tires...all that stuff. Owner comes back and says tires are good and that they're checking the rest. But they need the wheel lock key to rotate the tires. I thought it was strange, since she doesn't have aftermarket wheels.

I get tired of reading my book, (it's been an hour), so I go outside and watch the techs working on my car. Immediately, I notice one tech sucking the oil out of the dipstick tube on my Accord. So I ask them,

"Umm, what're you doing to my car?"

"Oil change", he says.

I said, "No. I just need an inspection."

The owner comes back and they tell him what's going on. Owner says, "Well, what the [censored] am I doing?"

I tell them that I changed my oil recently with Mobil 1 EP 5w20. So he says, "Ok. We'll put Mobil 1 in it then."

I had M1-EP oil and filter in it 2000 miles ago and wanted to go about 10-12k and get a UOA. They put the regular M1 in it, which is alright with me. On my way home, I was thinking about the filter. I get home, turn the wheels, and check the filter. My M1 filter's gone too. I believe they put a Tearolator. Eh, I'm not going back to fuss over a filter. Apparently they mistook my car with the other lady's.

So, I paid for an inspection, which I got, and received fresh M1 fluid with a Tearolator oil filter on top of it.

Last edited:
You could call and see if they still have the M1 filter. Shouldn't be too hard to find since most of the filters are anything but an M1. Then just have them put that back on for you. Call them in the morning and talk to the owner. Tell him it's an $11 filter instead of the cheap jobber they put on. If they can't source it perhaps buy another one and have them reimburse you for it. Report back how it goes.

That Odyssey did not have wheel locks. I looked...it was also still in line and not being worked on.

Actually, I called them back and they still have it. They'll put it on when I swing by on my way home tomorrow.

Originally Posted By: Matagonka
That Odyssey did not have wheel locks. I looked...it was also still in line and not being worked on.

Actually, I called them back and they still have it. They'll put it on when I swing by on my way home tomorrow.

Yay! At least they were nice enough to replace it with a similar oil without any big prodding on your part. People make mistakes, it's nice when they own them, and correct them, without having to be encouraged.

The owner seemed like a nice guy before the problem appeared. Everything was cool. They treated me nicely and I was cool with them. We had a good laugh though.

By the way....I looked more carefully and it's a Valvoline filter, not Puro. I'll just leave it in place for now.

That's fine but I'd still pick up the M1 filter if it's not too far. Put in a zip lock bag and use it again possibly for the next oci.

NEVER EVER LEAVE YOUR CAR UN ATTENDED AT A QUICK CHANGE PLACE EVER ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,my parents wanted to save me driving from chicago to milwaukee and they took their car to the quick change place and a knucklehead left a wrench on the frame that fell a week later and wedged its self between the harmonic balance and the frame and launched it , they said oh so sorry not our fault ,,,,,,,,,

I avoid quicklube places like the plague. I go to a real independent mechanic who has been working on cars for 50 years.

My dad has been going to valvoline quicklube for 15 years, never had a problem.

He goes because he drives oil burning junk, and they offer free top offs of fluid within 3k miles.

I learned something new today. Valvoline quick lube sucks. I thought they would at least drain the oil so they could overtighten the drain plug. How disappointing.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: WillsYoda
I avoid quicklube places like the plague. I go to a real independent mechanic who has been working on cars for 50 years.

I work on my own cars
wink.gif
I just needed a state inspection.

Originally Posted By: PumpPusher
I wouldn't put the old filter back on. No telling what trash pile it rolled around in. Not for $11.

You're right too. I'm assuming they have a special container for filters though.

Originally Posted By: Matagonka
Originally Posted By: PumpPusher
I wouldn't put the old filter back on. No telling what trash pile it rolled around in. Not for $11.

You're right too. I'm assuming they have a special container for filters though.

That,plus probably they dented it all up removing it. Going back for the old filter sounds like total insanity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back