Valvoline Extended Protection Full Synthetic vs. Mobil 1 Extended Performance

The vehicle calls for 0-20, and I trust the engineers clearanced everything correctly for that weight oil pumped by that oil pump at those temps, etc. Honda builds more small engines than anyone else, and I trust their engineering.

I am most interested in the best 0-20 oil that can readily be bought at Wal-Mart.
Given the fuel dilution issues with the 1.5 turbo, Honda clearly screwed the pooch.

As far as the title, goes, I'd use the M1 EP with CeraTec thrown in.

Yet it’s near impossible to find a report of a premature failure of a Honda DI/TGDI engine. Maybe it doesn’t matter.
The Chinese government made a huge stink about the issue and even blocked Honda from selling cars there for a while:

There are a few North American references cited in that piece too, one guy had 218ppm iron in his UOA, that's, well, "not good".

The thing with "premature failure" is that we need to qualify what exactly that is. Is it an engine with abnormally high levels of wear at 100,000 miles? 150,000 miles? What is the lifespan we expect from this engine that it might fail to meet?

"Failure" is unlikely to manifest in something dramatic like it tossing a rod through the side of the block. It will most likely present as elevated wear over the life of the engine that would result in increased blow-by, oil consumption, and poorer performance. And it will happen slowly. You might see camshaft galling on some examples (like we've seen with other engines posted on here) where surface hardening has been breached or failed.

Ultimately, the engines to reach highest mileage first will be the ones least likely to experience issues. Utilized in steady-state operation with lots of highway miles (which is how you get to higher mileage in a relatively short period of time), these are the engines that will have the lowest levels of fuel dilution and lowest wear rates. It is the short tripped engines, the ones that take many years to get up into 6 digits that will be the ones to experience increased rates of wear due to the dilution of the additive package and reduction in viscosity, as well as the decreased lubricity as the result of the significant portion of the lubricant being replaced with fuel.

What's the sense on the 300ppm moly in the Valvoline EP? Is this definitely the dimer?

I tend towards formulations with the highest moly.

The Chinese government made a huge stink about the issue and even blocked Honda from selling cars there for a while:

There are a few North American references cited in that piece too, one guy had 218ppm iron in his UOA, that's, well, "not good".

The thing with "premature failure" is that we need to qualify what exactly that is. Is it an engine with abnormally high levels of wear at 100,000 miles? 150,000 miles? What is the lifespan we expect from this engine that it might fail to meet?

"Failure" is unlikely to manifest in something dramatic like it tossing a rod through the side of the block. It will most likely present as elevated wear over the life of the engine that would result in increased blow-by, oil consumption, and poorer performance. And it will happen slowly. You might see camshaft galling on some examples (like we've seen with other engines posted on here) where surface hardening has been breached or failed.

Ultimately, the engines to reach highest mileage first will be the ones least likely to experience issues. Utilized in steady-state operation with lots of highway miles (which is how you get to higher mileage in a relatively short period of time), these are the engines that will have the lowest levels of fuel dilution and lowest wear rates. It is the short tripped engines, the ones that take many years to get up into 6 digits that will be the ones to experience increased rates of wear due to the dilution of the additive package and reduction in viscosity, as well as the decreased lubricity as the result of the significant portion of the lubricant being replaced with fuel.

Perhaps. But Honda has been building the 1.5T since 2015 and surely there are lots of high mileage examples that haven’t benefitted from extensive highway miles.

In any event, this is Honda’s volume engine and, if it is truly troublesome, it will damage Honda’s well-deserved reputation for durability. If Honda really thought it was an issue there’s a pretty simple fix: dual port/direct fuel injection like Ford, Toyota, Hyundai (!) and others have adopted. Absent this, we can either assume Honda is negligent or there really is no issue. I know we don’t like fuel dilution, but…

Perhaps. But Honda has been building the 1.5T since 2015 and surely there are lots of high mileage examples that haven’t benefitted from extensive highway miles.
The date of 2015 as introduction puts us at 6 full years, roughly, to have hit 100,000 miles by now, that puts us at just under 17,000 miles a year. The average American drives just over 14,000 miles a year in comparison. Are we considering 100,000 miles high mileage? 150,000 miles, which I think is the typical threshold, would require 25,000 miles a year, for a 2015 example to hit 150,000 miles this year. Typically, somebody doing 25,000/year isn't doing exclusively short trips, that's a lot of driving, almost double the American average.

For there to be existing high mileage examples, that sort of mileage would have had to have been accrued prior to this year, so we are talking even higher mileage per year, which isn't possible with a car that is just short tripped. And we'd also have to assume these are all vehicles sold in 2015, which also isn't realistic. That's why I noted that high mileage examples would be the least affected by the issue because in order to obtain high mileage within the short period the engine has been available, these vehicles would necessarily accrue significant miles per year, which involves a lot of longer drives, typically on the highway. It doesn't even need to be highway though, a lot of in-town driving would also get the oil temperature up, the issue is short trips that do not get the engine and oil up to temperature and where startup enrichment is prevalent for a large portion of the engines' operation, but this operation profile does not accrue significant mileage.
In any event, this is Honda’s volume engine and, if it is truly troublesome, it will damage Honda’s well-deserved reputation for durability. If Honda really thought it was an issue there’s a pretty simple fix: dual port/direct fuel injection like Ford, Toyota, Hyundai (!) and others have adopted. Absent this, we can either assume Honda is negligent or there really is no issue. I know we don’t like fuel dilution, but…
Well, it wouldn't be the first time. Honda's VCM 3.5L is known for serious issues with the one head, as has been covered extensively on here. As noted, this fuel dilution issue was a large enough concern in China to result in government intervention.

And yes, Toyota went the route of dual injection quite early on. Others have joined the party a bit later. While more complicated, it does address the drawbacks and pitfalls of DI, while still allowing for the benefits.

If I had purchased one of these vehicles, and it was plagued with a rising oil level due to excessive fuel dilution, and anyone at the dealership told me it was a "normal" condition, (like the person in that video I posted), I would be furious.

To tell a customer that is a complete insult to their intelligence. Fuel does NOT belong in a crankcase to the point where it raises the oil level, period. That's preposterous. Then, to add insult to injury by refusing to give said customer an oil change because "it doesn't need it", is even more ridiculous.

Honda should be ashamed of themselves. Not only that, but it's a purely stupid thing to do in the age of social media. Was that dealership so stupid to think there wouldn't be repercussions over something like this? Not only was an oil change needed, it was the mechanically correct action to perform..... Especially considering they weren't going to do anything else about it.

They basically told this guy to go shove it, without using that language.

If I had purchased one of these vehicles, and it was plagued with a rising oil level due to excessive fuel dilution, and anyone at the dealership told me it was a "normal" condition, (like the person in that video I posted), I would be furious.

To tell a customer that is a complete insult to their intelligence. Fuel does NOT belong in a crankcase to the point where it raises the oil level, period. That's preposterous. Then, to add insult to injury by refusing to give said customer an oil change because "it doesn't need it", is even more ridiculous.

Honda should be ashamed of themselves. Not only that, but it's a purely stupid thing to do in the age of social media. Was that dealership so stupid to think there wouldn't be repercussions over something like this? Not only was an oil change needed, it was the mechanically correct action to perform..... Especially considering they weren't going to do anything else about it.

They basically told this guy to go shove it, without using that language.
So do the rising oil levels due to fuel dilution effect the car in a negative way? Does fuel dilution cause negative side effects that impede the normal functioning of any ICE in general? Is fuel dilution in GDI vehicles actually an issue?

One more nice thing about Valvoline is the easy, no hassle $5 rebate per jug they are offering. Bought jug today at Walmart, uploaded receipt this evening, and have already gotten confirmation & approval back.

So do the rising oil levels due to fuel dilution effect the car in a negative way? Does fuel dilution cause negative side effects that impede the normal functioning of any ICE in general? Is fuel dilution in GDI vehicles actually an issue?

Time to change the oil in a Honda..

Say it is your Honda and it takes 4.5 qts...

Do You put in 3.5 qts of motor oil and 1 quart of gasoline ? ?

That's is no bueno...

Not good at all for the bearings and any other wear part within that vehicle.

Valvoline for the 100% synthetic base oil and high moly.
But I don't think choose one over another will result in significant improvement. Why not try both oil to see which one your vehicle prefer?
Frequent oil change is way more important than oil quality.

Time to change the oil in a Honda..

Say it is your Honda and it takes 4.5 qts...

Do You put in 3.5 qts of motor oil and 1 quart of gasoline ? ?

That's is no bueno...

Not good at all for the bearings and any other wear part within that vehicle.
So then these specific Honda’s are littering the streets? Would you say junkyards most likely have these and many other known dilutes in excess?

Back