Valvoline Extended Protection Full Synthetic vs. Mobil 1 Extended Performance

I didn't think so when we were very interested in getting a Honda CRV a few years ago. Fortunately found out about the oil dilution problem in their small engines before purchase and went with a Pilot instead.
I've yet to see a single bad UOA because of it, so it's not really a concern of mine. I plan to do 5K oil changes, anyway. The K20C1 and K20C4 engines have been around for almost a decade, and yet to hear of one actually having an issue.

I do not have a Camry. I have a K20C4 engine, and in EVERY country this engine is sold in, in EVERY application...0-20 is what is recommended. From Civic Type R's sold in the UK, to Accords sold in America. In fact, this engine was not available in America for YEARS. Honda still spec'ed 0-20 oil in the countries it COULD be purchased in.

The one known issue Honda has with it's recent turbo ngines is fuel dilution in the oil. I personally would recommend an Xw30 grade oil based on that or use an Xw20 under the severe service schedule.

One thing that confuses me...Mobil 1 ESP 0-20 scored a 4b in copper corrosion test. This is...wild.
Can you explain the relevancy to ICE operation and what are the limits for various licenses and approvals? Does the product exceed limits?

How is it "wild"?

Environmentalist reguations in the United States are arguably the most strict in the world, that is why.

I agree. It has nothing to do with what the engine itself, "requires". Internal combustion engines can and do run successfully on a multitude of different weight oils. It's one of the reasons why we have so many.

I've yet to see a single bad UOA because of it, so it's not really a concern of mine. I plan to do 5K oil changes, anyway. The K20C1 and K20C4 engines have been around for almost a decade, and yet to hear of one actually having an issue.
Honda has even come out with TSB's trying to quell the oil/fuel dilution issue. Has mostly been reprogramming I believe to allow the engine to run hotter quicker. Any quick search for the problem will find plenty of concerns.

Honda has even come out with TSB's trying to quell the oil/fuel dilution issue. Has mostly been reprogramming I believe to allow the engine to run hotter quicker. Any quick search for the problem will find plenty of concerns.

I hear the new Honda's are eliminating the fuel tank. Seeing as most of the fuel ends up in the engine anyway, you'll just have to fill the crankcase with 87 Regular on several of the new models. (y)

Yet it’s near impossible to find a report of a premature failure of a Honda DI/TGDI engine. Maybe it doesn’t matter.

Back