Vacuum Cleaner Recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: greenjp
Originally Posted By: R80RS
...It will primarily be used for vacuuming carpet and bare tile floors in the house. Attachments for stairs, upholstery, etc., are a must...

This to me suggests that you should be looking at a canister. Just more versatile. No attachments needed to vacuum the stairs, easy to carry around, etc.
I have an old style Electrolux which is awesome.

OP, i have a bagged canister electrolux, i like it, but i would not recommend to you for carpet, pet hair. for my bare floors and some rigs works.
mine was some open box from amazon, but walmart had some closings last year

About a year ago our Dyson died, which was good because I hated that thing. I replaced it with the Hoover Platinum Lightweight UH30010COM. It's a different approach to vacuuming. Instead of trying to make an upright do everything with all the attachments, they make a lightweight upright that is just for floors and include a separate canister vac with extension and tools. The upright is less than 12 pounds, but it's powerful and works really well. The canister vacuum is great for doing stairs or car interiors.

I would suggest considering a Central Vacuum Cleaner.

I have a Ranch House and installed the Motor/Tank in the Basement.
Only thing I need to lug around is a 30' hose.
I had to used 2 Inlet Valves. This allows the Hose to reach everywhere.

Edit: Important Note about venting, some Central Vacuums you have to vent outside.
Mine was 'optional'

Mine is made by:
Dust Care
Model: DCC1
Bought: 1996
Price: 585. plus tax

Last edited:
Panasonic MC-UL915. One of the machines that is supposedly designed for pets. We have 2 cats and this thing kicks rear.
It was about $150. on Amazon

Another vote for Shark. Wife picked up one because it wasn't all that much more than the standard Eureka/Royal/Hoover junk in Target but looked a lot smaller and lighter. Didn't even know what it was at the time.

We started using it and after a few months we both had a "holy carp, this thing's in a completely different league!" reaction.

Originally Posted By: Bud
I bought new carpet 3 years ago, super plush. My Oreck and my Dyson would not go across the carpet very well

I couldn't even use our Dyson on the carpet we installed a couple years ago. Its called frieze (basically a short shag).

The clutch in the Dyson would kick in instantly and not allow us to vacuum the carpet.

Gave the Dyson to my mom,and bought a Shark from Costco. The Shark has been working beautifully.

Meile or Panasonic I concur. I happen to own both (one for each floor) and equally happy with each.

I am a fan of bags as its far simpler to change that out and not deal with dirt/dust/filth/fur etc like the bag less type(yuck). The aftermarket bags on Amazon are cheaper.

We have always had electroluxes. Got a used one from my mom 45 years ago. We are now on our 3rd including that one. Not one ever broke.

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
That one is a good one...though I do like the Pro Version (white one). They tend to hold up well to kids and animals...

Also: this..
http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/pr...shark+navigator

Cheaper...use the 20% off coupon

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/pr...shark+navigator

Has and attachment for bare floors....also cheaper than Kohls...
cool.gif

Their Rotator canister vacuum looks interesting, too. Not sure how it compares to their uprights though as far as cleaning power is concerned.

I bought a new Dyson DC33 for $197 and it is a great vacuum cleaner. The new one replaced my old Dyson DC07 that I bought almost 10 years ago from a garage sale for $20.

Ive been researching vacuums for what seems like eternity and still looking while i continue to vacuum our fully carpeted place with an old $40 dirt devil. Vacuuming carpeted stairs with an upright is a pita though.

This electrolux caught my attention recently. It seems like it would be easier to use on stairs and it also has some unique roller brush cleaning mechanism. Not sure how well it works in practice. The only thing i dont like is that its bagless. I hate cleaning out the dust bin and getting exposed to all the dust.

http://amzn.com/B0105TXVRE

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
This electrolux caught my attention recently...

If you'd rather have bags (I would), check this Panasonic out.

FWIW the Electrolux name is now owned by Eureka (I think); the old-school Electroluxes are now called "Aerus". It's confusing. When I say old school I'm talking about ones like this (which is what I have).

jeff

This electrolux caught my attention recently. It seems like it would be easier to use on stairs and it also has some unique roller brush cleaning mechanism. Not sure how well it works in practice. The only thing i dont like is that its bagless. I hate cleaning out the dust bin and getting exposed to all the dust.

http://amzn.com/B0105TXVRE

I ended up buying this one. It did a fantastic job on carpets and decent job on bare floors. On carpet, it picked up a lot more stuff than my old dirt devil upright. It is also very quiet. Our 1-year-old was terrified of the sound the old vacuum made. He actually runs around this new one and tries to push it around.

But it is awkward to use on carpeted stairs. Having to hold the canister in one hand and the power nozzle/wand in the other hand is a PITA, despite the fact that the power nozzle brush is fairly light. I might have to find another tool for the stairs.

Also, the self cleaning brush roll is pretty useless as it can't clean itself of hair that gets wrapped around the beater bar.

I wish the dust bin was larger. It fills up pretty quickly unless you vacuum very often. Still not a fan of bagless vacuums such as this one, but it empties out very easily, so it doesn't kick up dust like our old Dyson did.

All in all, I think I'm going to keep it.

5-year warranty is nice, too.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Miele you wont regret it. They are very quiet and powerful with zero Chicom content.

Agree, very good vacuum.

The thing I don't like about the shark is if it breaks you have to send it back. Local shops, at least around here will not touch them. I went with the Miele, if it ever needs service they will give me another one to use until mine is fixed. So far ten years and it is still going strong. No issues and we have three cats and a yellow lab.

But it is awkward to use on carpeted stairs. Having to hold the canister in one hand and the power nozzle/wand in the other hand is a PITA, despite the fact that the power nozzle brush is fairly light. I might have to find another tool for the stairs.

Also, the self cleaning brush roll is pretty useless as it can't clean itself of hair that gets wrapped around the beater bar.

can you ccheck with electrolux if they have a longer hose available? or extension
hose? also stairs tool?
if not , a trip to home improvement store and a work vacuum hose and some duct tape...

hair control: are you the only user of the vacuum or can you suggest to the "shedder" (without ending in the dogs house) to clean the roller as a punishment....
(my experience: does not work! i'm mostly bald and i have 3 shedders, and i'm still the only one cleaning the brush/roller...)

We have an 11 year old Dyson that finally needs a belt on the beater bar. I bought a whole new clutch assembly and yet to put it in. Looks like fun. Ha!

Only complaint is the unit is too tall to go under low objects.....the Roomba takes care of that......and it's suction can will usually wrap a throw rug around the beater bar.

After 11 years, it's cleaning action is still as good as the day I bought it. No bags to buy and emptying is a snap and it should go another 11 years with the new clutch assembly, which comes with the replacement belts.

Good luck in your decision.

Originally Posted By: pandus13
can you ccheck with electrolux if they have a longer hose available? or extension hose?

Hose is plenty long. The issue is that you cannot attach the power nozzle directly to the hose. You have to attach the straight extension wand in-between, which feels way too long when doing stairs.

Quote:

hair control: are you the only user of the vacuum or can you suggest to the "shedder" (without ending in the dogs house) to clean the roller as a punishment....

She does try to get most of it with a carpet rake, but you'll never get all of it that way. Some of it will still end up on the roller. Not going to pick a fight over it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back