Contractor issues/sticky spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
$300/day?!?

Most folks around here with the slightest skill want $50/hr minimum.

Not sure how you find any trustworthy, legal folks for less than $20/hr... to make the $150/day number.

You'd be surprised at the difference between places like the Mid Atlantic and Northeast NY, PA, NJ, MA, RI, CT, and
"flyover" country. I used to live in SE PA and you know that where you live there are many codes and regulations which are pretty strictly enforced in our states, which in places like Indiana, codes are much less stringent, and sometimes not enforced at all. This generally means that you need AT LEAST to be bonded, insured, and licensed as well which costs lots of money.

Where I live now SC, there are some codes for building and renovating, but they are very loose and generally not well enforced which means that poorly skilled or non-skilled people can do hack jobs and not worry about being fined for it. I'm not even sure that home improvement contractors in SC even need a license, well they don't outside of a few cities. I know for a fact that you are NOT required to be bonded and insured in most of SC.

Last edited:
We never use anybody at a per hour or daily rate.

Get the whole deal in writing up front. Any reasonably skilled pro will be glad to prepare an estimate.

For work with hidden costs that are uncovered during the job (roof as an example) the rate per square foot or board can be quoted beforehand as well...

Last edited:
I do a lot of jobs for friends. It is not always easy to do work for friends, as they obviously want to pay little and have the best possible job done. They say how much and I say it will take as long as it takes and you are already getting my discounted rate.

I make it a point to show them the extra steps I take to make something I do last a long time, where as the guy who already quoted a price is doing everything possible to minimize the time and effort required to give the appearance of completion.

It is so easy to skip steps, and these skipped steps can cost many times what the original outlay was, in a few years.

I remain as busy as I want, and turn down work for those who I do not want to work for, and usually it is those people who constantly ask how much, how long, and want to brag to their friends how they got such and such for so little money.

Originally Posted By: wrcsixeight
I do a lot of jobs for friends. It is not always easy to do work for friends, as they obviously want to pay little and have the best possible job done. They say how much and I say it will take as long as it takes and you are already getting my discounted rate.

I make it a point to show them the extra steps I take to make something I do last a long time, where as the guy who already quoted a price is doing everything possible to minimize the time and effort required to give the appearance of completion.

It is so easy to skip steps, and these skipped steps can cost many times what the original outlay was, in a few years.

I remain as busy as I want, and turn down work for those who I do not want to work for, and usually it is those people who constantly ask how much, how long, and want to brag to their friends how they got such and such for so little money.

Yeah we never talked price, part of the deal is he gets to fish my lake whenever he likes (its private) and im not looking to spend as little as poss, im looking for quality work in a good timeframe and and i will happily pay accordingly when the jobs done.. Im not one of the cheapskates that is looking for a million dollar job for pennies.. and i dont blame you for passing on jobs.. amart.

Well i got up this morning and guess what, Yep.. he calls and "another job has to get done" Jason is suppose to be out first thing this morning to plumb the sink.. So i march myself downstairs and have a long hard look at what needs done, Jason had stated that parts were missing and a trip to lowes was needed.. NOPE, i put it back together myself without a leak in under 20 minutes.. So atleast i have a fully functional sink now. I sent him a pic of the completed work and he was flabbergasted.. "howd-you-do-that---duhhhh" He's suppose to be out tomorrow morning .. guess we shall see how that pans out.

$300/day?!?

Not sure how you find any trustworthy, legal folks for less than $20/hr... to make the $150/day number.

You would be amazed at the differences in homeowner pricing vs what I pay. $500 a day is the homeowner pricing for good carpentry work.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
Only broke contractors ask for materials up front on such a little job.

$300 a day is a lot that's what I pay my good trim guy in CT! I don't know what the going labor rate is in your area but I suspect its about half.

Contractors play this game all the time, Saturday mornings pain was a hangover.

Next time buy materials yourself pay for labor, agree up front in writing!

Not quite.

On large jobs I don't ask for a deposit however on decks,fences,kitchens and smaller stuff I want half up front,the last half when I'm done.
A customer has to show the green of their money too.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
$300/day?!?

are you talking carpentry trim work ? that seem very high.. atleast in my area.

You would be amazed at the differences in homeowner pricing vs what I pay. $500 a day is the homeowner pricing for good carpentry work.

He showed up today, I tried to be pleasant. he didnt order enough "slutter" so the job is at a close to standstill. He fixed a problem area on one of the tiles.

We talked $ he stated "if i had his crew out here this would have been a 3-4 day project and $2,500 in labor" I retorted that he didnt have his crew, this was a "friendly job" and it was going long on his original estimate.. no dollar figure was settled upon.. i simply told him the worse it looked when he was done the less i could give him..

You get 3 estimates then have your buddy match the best one. Then tell him he is hired! Now he is not underpaid favor.you won t feel obligated to bite your tongue when he skips out unfinished. It is being fair to both friends. And the beers will taste better.

$300/day?!?

Depends where you live and ability to earn income. Our rates our similar however my sister in law in western MA pays 50-60% for many things.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
What is slutter?

Im sure the spelling is wrong, its the metal trip piece that goes along the border when using tile's on countertops etc..

Fire him.

I would be concerned that even though you paid him up front for materials, (if I read correctly - hurriedly), that the money you paid him went to cover materials on some other job, and there may be material suppliers on your job that haven't been paid. Contractors are notorious for being one or more jobs behind.

Unpaid suppliers *may* be able to file liens - this will likely vary greatly, state to state.

AS a general rule, I always pay suppliers directly to avoid this burn job of double payment (been there done that).

Pay somebody to redo and finish the work properly.

It's probably not worth the time and effort to sue him to get any of your money back - he likely doesn't have anything to get.

*Jason* came back out this weekend for one afternoon.. I purchased all new stainless appliances this weekend and he helped me install them (remember he is a old higschool friend) He helped run water lines to the new fridge, he helped hookup the gas stove, and he helped haul the stuff in and out of the house.. he also took down a portion of the backsplash giving me room to install the new range hood that was bigger (deeper) down the wall.. He grouted in 80% of the kitchen countertop.. Its looking better..

The bad: while grouting a obvious mistake he tried to hide showed up.. a 2 inch crack in the granite by the sink near some of the finer granite cutting.. There is no way he didnt know that it was broken and he was clearly trying to hide it.. That bothered me.. however as soon as the problem became obvious he stated he was fixing it.

I asked he when i was coming back out and he claims in a week (next Saturday).

We talked prices just a bit.. Its clear this is not a regular priced job and ive informed him the better or worse it looks will effect the paycheck in the end.. I feel we are far enough along at this point i may as well let him finish and judge the end result.. I paid alot of $ for the granite and stone he's using and other than a litle money on labor i cant see telling firing him now with 80% of this project already completed.
My wife "Jason" and myself all sat down and he did explain to us that we were not a "On the books job" He and his crew are scheduled for.. We are a "side job" and he charges much less for the jobs he can do on his own time.. I did explain we were upset that when he stated 2-3 days and a week later he wasnt half done we were not happy.. he stated that alot of unforseen factorys came up to include issues with our specific job..

I guess at this point he's down to another days work and he's done.. Im just going to see how he wraps things up..

Lesson learned.

Originally Posted By: OtisBlkR1
*Jason* came back out this weekend for one afternoon.. I purchased all new stainless appliances this weekend and he helped me install them (remember he is a old higschool friend) He helped run water lines to the new fridge, he helped hookup the gas stove, and he helped haul the stuff in and out of the house.. he also took down a portion of the backsplash giving me room to install the new range hood that was bigger (deeper) down the wall.. He grouted in 80% of the kitchen countertop.. Its looking better..

The bad: while grouting a obvious mistake he tried to hide showed up.. a 2 inch crack in the granite by the sink near some of the finer granite cutting.. There is no way he didnt know that it was broken and he was clearly trying to hide it.. That bothered me.. however as soon as the problem became obvious he stated he was fixing it.

I asked he when i was coming back out and he claims in a week (next Saturday).

We talked prices just a bit.. Its clear this is not a regular priced job and ive informed him the better or worse it looks will effect the paycheck in the end.. I feel we are far enough along at this point i may as well let him finish and judge the end result.. I paid alot of $ for the granite and stone he's using and other than a litle money on labor i cant see telling firing him now with 80% of this project already completed.
My wife "Jason" and myself all sat down and he did explain to us that we were not a "On the books job" He and his crew are scheduled for.. We are a "side job" and he charges much less for the jobs he can do on his own time.. I did explain we were upset that when he stated 2-3 days and a week later he wasnt half done we were not happy.. he stated that alot of unforseen factorys came up to include issues with our specific job..

I guess at this point he's down to another days work and he's done.. Im just going to see how he wraps things up..

Lesson learned.

I've been in this situation - it wasn't a "friend" but a recommended contractor by a friend. It was a very similar situation: granite counter tops etc. However, it appears your project will end better than mine did. I don't really have anything to add here for advice. Nobody likes being in these situations, but it appears you are interacting in a way (fair, feedback & firm) that provides an opportunity for the "friend" to grow/learn. It doesn't mean you'll do it again, but it is the current situation so why not interact in a way that is meaningful? This appears to be your approach and I found it encouraging - thanks!

take care.

Last edited:
I should have known.. "jason" just called and cancelled for this weekend.. figures.. 4th of July weekend.. im not suprised. just about the time i give him some le-way..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back