Vacuum Cleaner Recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our trusty floor vacuum finally died and we're in the market for a new one. It will primarily be used for vacuuming carpet and bare tile floors in the house. Attachments for stairs, upholstery, etc., are a must. We have dogs and a cat, so this vac will be used on a daily basis. All our vacs so far have been the bag type, but we'll consider a bagless.

My wife is leaning toward this model, primarily because it has all the attachments she wants and has 4.6/5 stars over 300+ reviews. Plus, she is eligible for an additional 30% off this sale price. Any thoughts or recommendations on what's good, or what to avoid?

I hear good things about the Shark. Bad things about Dyson.

Bagless is ok. We have bag and bagless. Each has its pluses and minuses. I would not spend big bucks on one. They all seem to last a few years and then break.

If not for the stairs I'd recommend a Kirby. They are the most powerful, and will last a lifetime, but are heavy. I'd recommend sticking with bagged vacuums, because they are much less messy and most of the time there's no filter to clean. If you're going to be doing a lot of stairs, bare floors and upholstery I'd recommend a canister. I'd recommend a metrovac. They also will last and have serviceable parts.

We had a Telus for over 30 years, never did a thing too it. Just before xmas we got the Kirby demo, what a rip off - so we found a 5 year old one with all the attachments for 200% less money. A pretty impressive machine.

Originally Posted By: Silk
We had a Telus for over 30 years, never did a thing too it. Just before xmas we got the Kirby demo, what a rip off - so we found a 5 year old one with all the attachments for 200% less money. A pretty impressive machine.

Thats a good point. Don't buy a Kirby from a salesman. Yes, you'll get a lifetime warranty and some free service, but it's not worth the outrageous price. Look on eBay. A nice Sentria II, the latest model, will cost you $200-300 rather than thousands from the salesman.

Pet hair wraps around the Shark brush roll.

For deep pile carpets, get one with a manual carpet height adjustment. Most Panasonic uprights have automatic carpet height adjust. Most Kenmore uprights have manual height adjust.

When deciding between bagged and Bagless, look at how hard the machine is to maintain and how much it will cost to maintain.

If the one who cleans the vacuum has allergies go with bagged to minimize exposure to dust.

Canister types do best on smooth floors while uprights were intended for carpets.

Tile floors may be best cleaned with a swifter or broom.

Check with your local janitorial supply for commercial uprights they carry. They take a lickin and keep on tickin. For a direct air type it is hard to beat a Sanitaire for carpets only. For a clean air type, the CleanMax is value priced and has attachments with quick draw. Both are maintainable.

Most of the big box store stuff is designed to get you through the warrantee and then die so you buy another.

Last edited:
That one is a good one...though I do like the Pro Version (white one). They tend to hold up well to kids and animals...

Also: this..
http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/pr...shark+navigator

Cheaper...use the 20% off coupon

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/pr...shark+navigator

Has and attachment for bare floors....also cheaper than Kohls...
cool.gif

We have 3 Dyson vacuums. Two at our main home, one on the main level and one on the lower level, and one at our lake house. The two at our main home are getting close to 10 years old get used at least a couple times each week, and do a great job on both the hard surface floors as well as the bedrooms with carpet. The one at our lake house is about 5 years old and only gets used when we're there, but when it does it usually has to pick up sand that has been tracked in as well as pet fur.

I've been completely pleased with all 3, especially with the design of the hose and attachments. They're actually usable, unlike some vacuums. I prefer bagless-I don't care for the recurring costs of buying bags, and it's a simple matter to take the accumulated dirt into the garage and dump it into the garbage can. No bag to mess with, replace or cart around.

Maintenance is easy on all 3, and the filters are washable. I clean the filters on the two at home a couple times each year, on the lake house vacuum once each year.

We've got a Kenmore Progressive canister which is really a Panasonic. Great suction and has a powered small brush for upholstery. Comes in handy for doing the cars.

It's a bagged unit and you couldn't pay me to to to a bagless. The last couple we had stunk so I was washing the bagless parts, the plume of dust when you emptied it, etc. With the bag I just toss it when the light comes on.

The Eureka Smartboss gets good ratings from Consumer Reports and as a best buy. I have one on each floor. Its around $150. I agree with getting a bagged vacuum vs bagless.

Some newer vacuums have a direct drive of the beater bar which eliminates belts.

Originally Posted By: cat843
The Eureka Smartboss gets good ratings from Consumer Reports and as a best buy. I have one on each floor. Its around $150. I agree with getting a bagged vacuum vs bagless.

Some newer vacuums have a direct drive of the beater bar which eliminates belts.

I have had one of these for more than 10 years now. The only thing that's semi-broken is the foot pedal that releases the upright portion to tilt from the base. Not something that affects it working, however. I'm keeping it until it dies.

Originally Posted By: R80RS
...It will primarily be used for vacuuming carpet and bare tile floors in the house. Attachments for stairs, upholstery, etc., are a must...

This to me suggests that you should be looking at a canister. Just more versatile. No attachments needed to vacuum the stairs, easy to carry around, etc.

Miele is the top of the line in this regard, Panasonic makes a pretty nice lower cost option. I have an old style Electrolux which is awesome.

jeff

We haveva Kirby G4 which is around 20 years old. (They were made from 1993-1997) It works great and will probably last another 20 years.

We also have a Dyson V6 Motorhead cordless vac for the stairs, smaller areas, and quick jobs that don't need the big Kirby. I'm amazed what that thing will pick up for just being a small handheld cordless unit.

I bought new carpet 3 years ago, super plush. My Oreck and my Dyson would not go across the carpet very well. Like trying to push a brick. So I bought a self propelled and it was horrible. Now I have a Bissell, Clean-view and it has 5 height adjustments. Works well without making me feel like I just worked an eight hour shift pushing it around. It is the bagless, which I don't like but it works well so will put up with it.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
We have 3 Dyson vacuums. Two at our main home, one on the main level and one on the lower level, and one at our lake house. The two at our main home are getting close to 10 years old get used at least a couple times each week, and do a great job on both the hard surface floors as well as the bedrooms with carpet. The one at our lake house is about 5 years old and only gets used when we're there, but when it does it usually has to pick up sand that has been tracked in as well as pet fur.

I've been completely pleased with all 3, especially with the design of the hose and attachments. They're actually usable, unlike some vacuums. I prefer bagless-I don't care for the recurring costs of buying bags, and it's a simple matter to take the accumulated dirt into the garage and dump it into the garbage can. No bag to mess with, replace or cart around.

Maintenance is easy on all 3, and the filters are washable. I clean the filters on the two at home a couple times each year, on the lake house vacuum once each year.

also, our resident carpet expert, SteveSRT8, buys Dyson from overstock website when they have promotions/codes/sales/clearances and use them in heavy commercial use in FL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back