Using SuperTech full synthetic vs name brands

I no longer have a stash of oil around the house that I bought on sale. Now I just buy Super Tech as needed. Life is a lot simpler.
This will be my plan when my stash runs out and until they change their formula or not be able to meet industry standards/certifications, I’ll stick with it. Why not? It’s the cheapest oil you can find without having to shop around for it or deal with rebates - and from everything I’ve read, it’s pretty darn good oil.

I‘m a ways away from having to purchase oil though...I cleaned out all my local auto zones when they had their clearance sale last year. Bought 55 quarts of various brands (RGT, Valvoline, Quaker State). I don’t even think I’m half way through it. Funny thing is I sold my last vehicle and when I went vehicle shopping, my stash was on my mind (the type of oil kind of factored into my purchase, just so I could use my stash). Lol, but true.

Hi,

I own a 2017 Hyundai ELantra Value Edition with 40,000 miles in mint condition. I have been doing 5K oil/filter changes with name brand oils like QS, PP and Vavoline, with OEM Hyundai filter. If I was to switch to Walmart Super Tech 5W-20 full synthetic, can I expect the same performance and gas mileage and will the engine last just as long as using the forementioned name brands?

The Walmart by me is now selling Super Tech 5QT full synthetic jug for just $13.97 Seems hard to beat.

Thanks

According to the UOAs posted here on BITOG SuperTech is an okay average motor oil, so it's fine to use.

I'm just curious though, why are you trying to save a few bucks on motor oil when you could be running what you believe is right for your engine and sleep easy at night without worrying too much?

Can’t go wrong with Walmart. On my wife’s Vibe I’ve been using ST 5W30 HM full syn and their ST4386 filter every 5k. We drive the car so much I change it like every 2 months. No issues

I actually tried and now have high regards for Valvoline Daily Protection in 5w-30 (5w-20 would be similar) as it performed very well for me, and those two flavors are syn blends. I bought it when I learned it was a blend and when saw it on sale at about C$14 (US$11) for a 5L jug at local WM.

I've had no issues using it at all. though I wish I could find a slightly thicker 30W. Not one I have to mail order, but One I could pick up at my local WM. Stupertech 10w-30?

I've had no issues using it at all. though I wish I could find a slightly thicker 30W. Not one I have to mail order, but One I could pick up at my local WM. Stupertech 10w-30?
All ILSAC 5w-30 oils are about the same. On paper, Rotella Gas Truck and QSUD 5w-30 are somewhat thicker. If you can find Rotella T6 5W-30, that's just about as thick as Euro 0W-40.

I use ST syn in 75% of the oil changes I do for people. It's cheap and meets all the specs needed.

QSUD seems like a better oil for just a few more bucks. I would say that QSUD is pretty cheap for what it is.

I actually tried and now have high regards for Valvoline Daily Protection in 5w-30 (5w-20 would be similar) as it performed very well for me, and those two flavors are syn blends. I bought it when I learned it was a blend and when saw it on sale at about C$14 (US$11) for a 5L jug at local WM.
I have a bunch of oil, filter and rotate $10 coupons from a tire store for Daily Protection, but it burns off a bit. ST syn doesn't.

I use name brands. I cannot bring myself to use SuperTech even though it is certified and I’m sure it’s good oil but I can’t do it. But since Walmart stopped selling the Castrol I use then I might be looking into something else probably Valvoline or something don’t think it will be SuperTech.

I use name brands. I cannot bring myself to use SuperTech even though it is certified and I’m sure it’s good oil but I can’t do it. But since Walmart stopped selling the Castrol I use then I might be looking into something else probably Valvoline or something don’t think it will be SuperTech.
Super Tech is a “name brand”.

Maybe Mag1 would be a brand you would use?

Schaeffer's isn't a major brand but probably outperforms some Mobil or SOPUS oils. ;)
I think there are always exceptions to a rule, but in general, the major brands are usually selling the most modern formulations. Especially the ones with OEM partnerships.

Back