Supertech 5W-30 Synthetic for my 2017 Elanta 2.0?

Status
Not open for further replies.
But they're circles instead of stars!
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Garak
But they're circles instead of stars!
wink.gif

Haha! I actually thought about that while posting. The one i'm sharing in the thread is from the Valvoline website. The one on the bottles is actually in stars.... i promise.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: njohnson
On the new, redesigned Valvoline Synpower bottles, Valvoline is putting right on the front label something very similar. It says something about "50% better wear than our conventional oil."

I was surprised to see it. Valvoline must be basing it on a test they ran, comparing the wear of their conventional against their Synpower oil?

Yes, Valvoline Synpower has 50% better wear compared to VWB. I do remember an engineering paper I saw one time where Mobil1 had much better wear protection compared to a conventional all-GroupII oil they were using. So this has been demonstrated before. It does depend on the physics of the wear surface interactions, such as rolling vs. sliding wear, timing chain wear, ring wear, etc. where you have boundary, mixed-boundary, and/or some combination of fully hydrodynammic under different temperature and pressure conditions. You have to know more about how the "50% better wear" was seen.
0ee2fb3b-1a39-4dc1-a363-aed2224a325c_1.568751dfb972f931dfe623e91094369e.jpeg

Valvoline might be referring to the Sequence IVA standard wear test, which must be less than 90 microns to pass to get SN GF-5. Valv Synpower 5w30 has shown 20 microns in the past. Therefore, if VWB gets 40 microns (still passing by a lot), then that might be what they are basing the claim on their bottle/jug labels saying the Synpower has 50% better wear.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
Valvoline might be referring to the Sequence IVA standard wear test, which must be less than 90 microns to pass to get SN GF-5. Valv Synpower 5w30 has shown 20 microns in the past. Therefore, if VWB gets 40 microns (still passing by a lot), then that might be what they are basing the claim on their bottle/jug labels saying the Synpower has 50% better wear.

That would have read as 100% improvement.
Claiming percentage improvements over low'ish # , instead of a high'ish threshold limits (say,90 micro) is playing with numerics and meaningless in engineering other than 'boosting' marketing claims.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: zeng
Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies

That would have read as 100% improvement.
Claiming percentage improvements over low'ish # , instead of a high'ish threshold limits (say,90 micro) is playing with numerics and meaningless in engineering other than 'boosting' marketing claims.
This seems to correlate with RAT 540s findings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back