Cheapest full synthetic for a Gen 3 5.0 Mustang

Your engine will last just as long with semi syn as it will syn. Marketing works. why would you expect an oil that is SP wether syn or semi syn would be different keeping the parts separated.

Used any full synthetic oil you can afford and has ford approved oil certification.

What Spec does "full synthetic" meet that "conventional" doesn't?

Or do we just go by the check boxes on the back of the jug where more check marks = better?

That 5.0 H.O. doesn't make much specific brake HP so its likely just a matter of price and mood
and happiness with the Jug colour on the day of purchase.

ex. My 2.0 Ecosport 2 liter non-turbo makes 166 hp and if that was extrapolated to a 5.0 that V8 would be making 415 HP.
Now that's pretty stressed with 12:1 compression and 83 bhp per litre.

for a recommendation:
Synthetics found to be satisfying by me recently have been Valvoline Advanced Synthetic and Quaker State Full Synthetic .

A popular Synthetic found by me to be horrendous and terrible recently was Castrol Edge 5W20

- Ken

That 5.0 H.O. doesn't make much specific brake HP so its likely just a matter of price and mood
and happiness with the Jug colour on the day of purchase.

ex. My 2.0 Ecosport 2 liter non-turbo makes 166 hp and if that was extrapolated to a 5.0 that V8 would be making 415 HP.
Now that's pretty stressed with 12:1 compression and 83 bhp per litre.
Not much specific HP? A 3rd Gen 5.0L Coyote makes 460 HP.

Not much specific HP? A 3rd Gen 5.0L Coyote makes 460 HP.
OP said Gen 3 5.0 Mustang Then he didnt state what car he was driving in his post.

I missed it as I didnt know were referencing engine gens. I am not a Ford guy or a coyote motor guy.

Last good Ford I owned was a decom'd 429 detective car with a 429 interceptor and 150 certified speedo.

Good for Ford that the Gen 3 has just a little more specific output than my stock Ford Focus passenger car engine :)

Jabs aside, the DOHC Ford 2.0 is impressive and so is the Gen 3 5.0 - Now that I know what its is :)

- Ken

OP said Gen 3 5.0 Mustang Then he didnt state what car he was driving in his post.

I missed it as I didnt know were referencing engine gens. I am not a Ford guy or a coyote motor guy.
I doubt he is going to title the thread like he did referencing a "Gen 3 5.0 Mustang", and then talk in his OP like he's driving some other vehicle, lol.

Last time I was at store, blend was like $1 or so cheaper than full syn for a 5qt jug. Don't recall seeing any dino. I

I think both (dino & blend) are eventually on their way out in most stores ... Maybe there are fewer and fewer people who think syn causes leak so there are less and less dino or blend available. lol

So I’ve been balls deep in oil over the past month or so. It started with me wondering why Ford recommends a synthetic blend over full synthetic, which I’ve gotten answers too. My question is, would there be any harm in running the cheapest full synthetic you can find at Walmart in a mustang? Sees the occasional redline RPM driving and spirited driving like any mustang. But does it really matter what brand if you’re changing the oil every 3-5k miles? Could you get away with running super tech for $20/5qt? I’m huge into maintenance and do it all myself. I’d run the Motorcraft synthetic blend but it cost as much ($22/5q) as a full synthetic. Might as well take advantage of a full synthetic at that point anyhow. Some are even cheaper such as super tech, Quaker state, valvoline, etc. all full synthetic.
With the size of the sump on these motors any speced oil will full fill your needs, at normal highway speeds your barely turning 2000rpm so not to taxing on the oil .
I have run valvoline high mileage syn blend and full syn in 0w20 and 5w30 grades. and honestly could not tell a difference in any way.

They're noisy engines, also with the commonly reported "BBQ tick" and "2k rattle". In mine, I'm going to try and stick to oils high in molybdenum, like Valvoline extended protection. I'm running Pennzoil Ultra platinum now and it's decently quiet on it.

I did have a bit of the warm idle tick for a while on NAPA Synthetic.., not enough to unduly concern me but I'm going to try to stick to oils that are commonly reported to be quiet running. Even if it's not proven to correlate to wear, I'd rather have a quiet running engine just as a matter of preference. Good luck.

Thanks for all the help and pointers ladies and gents! I currently run PUP and it’s great, I’ll either stick with it or maybe try out something different such as Valvoline or Castrol Edge. I’ll keep digging around on here and seeing what I can find. At the end of the day, it’s just oil right? Change it when you’re supposed to and you’ll be fine lol

Thanks for all the help and pointers ladies and gents! I currently run PUP and it’s great, I’ll either stick with it or maybe try out something different such as Valvoline or Castrol Edge. I’ll keep digging around on here and seeing what I can find. At the end of the day, it’s just oil right? Change it when you’re supposed to and you’ll be fine lol
from what i have read the type writer tick started with the 2011 model ?
I am one of the lucky ones i have almost 60k on mine and for having ten miles of timing chain and a million other top end parts it really quiet honestly the only real noise is the pulse of the injectors.
i have heard the tick in other mustangs i think it would drive me nuts , it sounds like its coming from the bottom end ?

from what i have read the type writer tick started with the 2011 model ?
I am one of the lucky ones i have almost 60k on mine and for having ten miles of timing chain and a million other top end parts it really quiet honestly the only real noise is the pulse of the injectors.
i have heard the tick in other mustangs i think it would drive me nuts , it sounds like its coming from the bottom end ?
Yeah mine has the tick but it doesn’t bother me at all honestly. It’s a 2021 with ~11,500 miles and it’s been ticking for a few thousand miles now. But it’s not that loud and it’s not consistent either, it’s on and off and only when I’m idling with barriers around the car I can hear it. There’s so many theories on the tick… Ford released a statement saying the tick is a normal characteristic of the Coyote engine. I don’t sweat it at all, no one is complaining of engines blowing up or scored cylinder walls from “the tick” or so that I’ve seen. Just roll with it imo.

Yeah mine has the tick but it doesn’t bother me at all honestly. It’s a 2021 with ~11,500 miles and it’s been ticking for a few thousand miles now. But it’s not that loud and it’s not consistent either, it’s on and off and only when I’m idling with barriers around the car I can hear it. There’s so many theories on the tick… Ford released a statement saying the tick is a normal characteristic of the Coyote engine. I don’t sweat it at all, no one is complaining of engines blowing up or scored cylinder walls from “the tick” or so that I’ve seen. Just roll with it

Yeah mine has the tick but it doesn’t bother me at all honestly. It’s a 2021 with ~11,500 miles and it’s been ticking for a few thousand miles now. But it’s not that loud and it’s not consistent either, it’s on and off and only when I’m idling with barriers around the car I can hear it. There’s so many theories on the tick… Ford released a statement saying the tick is a normal characteristic of the Coyote engine. I don’t sweat it at all, no one is complaining of engines blowing up or scored cylinder walls from “the tick” or so that I’ve seen. Just roll with it imo.
I have a 2015 it has been flawless No repairs to date . not even a light bulb.
Mind you i just received the recall notice for the back up camera

Back