Used tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone here buy used tires? Ive bought a few over the last year. Its been hit and miss though. I usually pick out the name brands w/ best tread.

Yeah, I put whatever I can find on my E150. I hit a bear with it (well, ran over...didn't do any body damage) so it eats front tires. I had some work done on it but it still has issues so I scavenge used tires for free. My daily driver gets new tires and they don't cost much more than good used ones go for. It's cheaper in the long run to get new tires for a good car if it uses small ones.

You should be looking at the date code on the tires when choosing them. Also, used truck tires make terrible trailer tires. They aren't stiff enough for tall trailers and they go flat on tandems.

Steve

I've done it, from the junkyard, already mounted on wheels my size (common 4x100). I look for ones with uncracked sidewalls and still holding air after setting a while. Got an egg shaped one once but they let me trade it for free.

A couple of thouights on used tires:

Age is now one of the hottest topics in the field of tires. Until this can be sorted out by the government and the tire manufacturers, I'll offer the following advice: 10 years from the date of manufacture. However, if you live in AZ, CA, NV, NM, TX and FL, then the limit is 6 years, and states further north are proportional.

When you purchase used tires, you don't know how the tires were used. Might have been neglected (underinflated, overloaded, etc.), so there's a HUGE unknown. Let the buyer beware!! I would not consider used tires where my safety is an issue!

Hope this helps.

If you buy a used car it comes with used tires-- and you don't know how they were treated. The dealer could have topped the pressure off, for example. People buy used cars though and accept that risk.... I accept it a la carte, one tire at a time.

As I live in the snow/rust belt (with state inspections and common sense) there are plenty of wrecked or rusted out vehicles with newish tires. One can assume when pulling directly from a 96 MY car that the non-OE tire is newer than, say, 1998. If the car has high mileage for the year, even better.

However, I'd be very leery of getting an unmounted tire from the "tire pile"-- no idea where it came from, how old it was, or how carelessly it was unmounted.

There's a very strong stigma against used tires making some very nice ones available very cheaply. This probably varies geographically.

A popular tire chain in southern New England, Town Fair Tire, sells used tires. Or they did. I was looking for two for my Caprice years ago. They had a used set of BFG Radial T/As in 235/70 15. I was very happy with them, until I did this to the car (unrelated to the tires):

http://kmoore.phzero.net:8081/web9c1/accident.html

I enjoy opportunities to share these pictures
grin.gif

Back in the days when I was putting myself through school, it was necessary to economize. I went to the municipal recycling center and pulled the best looking tires out of the pile that fit my car.

I would look them over for general condition, tread depth, and date of manufacture. Never had a tire related problem. Got me through.

quote:

Originally posted by kevm14:
A popular tire chain in southern New England, Town Fair Tire, sells used tires. Or they did. I was looking for two for my Caprice years ago. They had a used set of BFG Radial T/As in 235/70 15. I was very happy with them, until I did this to the car (unrelated to the tires):

http://kmoore.phzero.net:8081/web9c1/accident.html

I enjoy opportunities to share these pictures
grin.gif

Talk about high Roll Resistance
grin.gif

Wait, wrong thread!

If you know what to look for, used tires are an excellent alternative. There are some people who change tires when they don't really need to... Some nice ones do come off and get trashed simply because the owner decided to get new tires or a different brand... among many other reasons. One goes flat, **** , replace em all!

I worry very much about used tires, unless theyre purchased from someone who just bought a new car (or used car with newly replaced tires) and is doing a tire/wheel upgrade.

Its too risky to do otherwise, IMO. If you buy a junk car and it breaks, it breaks, you can fix it or get rid of it, etc. If a tire fails, the consequences can be MUCH more severe.

JMH

quote:

Originally posted by eljefino:
If you buy a used car it comes with used tires-- and you don't know how they were treated. The dealer could have topped the pressure off, for example. People buy used cars though and accept that risk.... I accept it a la carte, one tire at a time.

Buying a used tire without the used car should be better than what comes on the used car. When you buy the used tire, you and the tire shop have the opportunity too look at the inside of the tires for repairs or signs of damage.

Tires are also marked with the date of manufacture, so it's easy to avoid tires that are too old.

Sometimes you can find real bargains. I see listings all the time, in my area, for factory tires and rims. It seems, when kids get a vehicle, usually a truck, the first thing they splurge for is aftermarket rims and big offroad tires. You can pick up these "old" rims and tires for a song, as they usually are under pressure to get rid of them.

I've nothing against used tyres, and advise firends and family that I'd rather see them buy second hand tyres of reasonable tread depth than have them running on the wires while they save for a new set.

Some funny stuff can happen with tyres.

Just put two new tyres on the front of my 4Runner, even though they appeared to have a lot of life in them. They had shocking (but intermittent, and non-balanceable) vibration that would appear, stay for a few minutes, then go.

If they smelled a truck rutt in a bitumen road within a kilometer, they'd drag the vehicle into it, regardles of what I did with the sterring wheel.

If I'd seen these for sale used, I would have thought them OK to get someone through, but they would have been buying dogs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back