Can this tire be saved?

No, that’s in the sidewall. Too much flex for a patch to stay. A plug in that location would be highly questionable.

Too much risk. No shop should ever do that repair without making you sign a waiver. I highly recommend you not sign that waiver or repair that tire yourself but we’re all adults here. So I’ll just ask that you not drive beside me or my family down the interstate on your maypop if you choose to plug it.

Que the people that allegedly have ran multiple tires for 60k miles with plugs in the sidewall to tell you it’s ok 😒
I'll take someone with a plugged sidewall and great tread driving next to my family in the snow over someone who has a "perfect" tire with 5/32" who is trying to get all the life out of it they can because "it's still safe".

I'll take someone with a plugged sidewall and great tread driving next to my family in the snow over someone who has a "perfect" tire with 5/32" who is trying to get all the life out of it they can because "it's still safe".
Come drive I44 from St Louis to Joplin and you can have both!

You could probably put some kind of plug there, but it would be something you did yourself. I doubt any tire shop would touch it.

Plug it, and if it holds air over a week or so you have a good repair. I've done sidewall plugs to get off of a trail, after airing up and driving a few miles it was a solid repair. Your call on this because it will weigh on your mind.

Thanks everyone. The answer seems to be either a no or have a sketchy shop do an inside vulcanized path. The vehicle does get used for highway commute and therefore, I’m a bit hesitant to do just a plug.

Can I switch 2 tires to 245/75/16s (buddy has 2 almost new ones that he’ll let me have for almost free) and put them on the back and keep the old 225/75/16s on the front? Or switch them the other way around? This is the 4wd model - I’m not sure if the difference in diameters will create a major issue?

There are multiple ways to look at this problem.

First, let's look at the area where the damage is. That part of the tire is at the edge of where the sidewall does all kinds of weird movement - which is why sidewalls aren't supposed to be repaired - the repairs just don't last.

But being at the edge of that means the repair MIGHT hold up if the stresses aren't too high.

And what would happen if the repair would fail? If you are at low speeds, then you'd have a flat tire. As the speed increases, it becomes more and more difficult to maintain the control of the car if the tire suddenly deflates. At the extreme end, we are talking about a rollover - very bad!!

So what speeds are the limits? Most folks in the know would say that high speed starts in the 35 to 50 mph range. My opinion is that this means if you do anything more that inner city travel, you have crossed into the high speed arena.

So how much risk are you willing to take? Remember that at the high end, we are talking about a severe crash.

Another part of the equation is what folks are willing to repair. This is clearly outside USTMA's (US Tire Manufacturers Association) guidelines for repair and many tire shops won't touch such a repair. There are shops that will do such a repair, but they just don't care about what happens. If there is an accident, they are planning that the lawsuit won't be against them - and most of the time they are right!

Personally, I don't like the odds here.

Thanks @CapriRacer. I figured as much. I just hate that these tires are otherwise in great condition and having to get rid of the them. But safety is a higher priority.

I've ran multiple tires for 60k miles with plugs in the sidewall. People in Africa, the middle east or Mexico wouldn't give it a second thought.
Having traveled extensively in South America-most countries don't have highways that can handle sustained high speeds. Whereas in the U.S. we do.

Having traveled extensively in South America-most countries don't have highways that can handle sustained high speeds. Whereas in the U.S. we do.
They make up for it by carrying bigger loads. Way more stress on the tires.

these-folks-and-some-livestock-in-the-central-african-republic-have-taken-hitchhiking-to-a-whole-new-level-.jpg

That's really a lethal scenario-the plugged sidewall. Of course if your implying you can't drive over 35mph if it's snowing......

Thanks everyone. The answer seems to be either a no or have a sketchy shop do an inside vulcanized path. The vehicle does get used for highway commute and therefore, I’m a bit hesitant to do just a plug.

Can I switch 2 tires to 245/75/16s (buddy has 2 almost new ones that he’ll let me have for almost free) and put them on the back and keep the old 225/75/16s on the front? Or switch them the other way around? This is the 4wd model - I’m not sure if the difference in diameters will create a major issue?
Only if you have permanent AWD or you are in 4WD mode.
And ABS may not be happy with axles spinning at different speeds, and any other system that uses speed difference between axles (for example stability control if you have it).

Krzyś

That’s what I was thinking too, but I figured I check here. I’ll get 2 same sized tires this year and get a match pair next year.

Back