Continental Extreme Contact DWS 06 Plus

To be fair, it can be hard to convey/read tone on the Internet, and you weren't the first to question him in this thread. If I were in his shoes – if I had posted thoughtful commentary based on real expertise, and a bunch of people respond by trying to find flaws in what I had said – I can't say I'd have an easy time interpreting everyone's posts charitably.
Well, you get upset over adhesives. :sneaky:

I hear you, all experience with tires is subjective and somewhat vehicle dependent. All I know is I've had both Michelin and Continentals, generally good results with both (all on Hondas) I recently got a 2023 Civic Touring Sedan that came with Goodyear Eagle Sport tires, test driving before my car was delivered, I was a bit underwhelmed by them and reviews were mediocre. So, did all the reading I could and asked my servicing technician what he's seen good results with and he reccomended what was on his Civic, which were the Continentals currently being discussed here. The dealership was able to arrange a favorable pre-delivery exchange. They were balanced dynamically and I've had no problems with vibration. Overall, they are very quiet and smooth riding (235/40/18) excellent in the wet and they did seem to work well in the snow, in other words, I'm pleased with them. Time will tell how they hold up. It's always easy to critique other people's choices, but remember, their experience may differ from yours, ultimately you have make your own choices.

Last edited:
To be fair, it can be hard to convey/read tone on the Internet, and you weren't the first to question him in this thread. If I were in his shoes – if I had posted thoughtful commentary based on real expertise, and a bunch of people respond by trying to find flaws in what I had said – I can't say I'd have an easy time interpreting everyone's posts charitably.

I never stated that these tires couldn't be balanced. Or that all of them were a tough balance. Some took a few more weights to get there than some others. But all balanced given the effort. I just happen to have a mechanic who I've known for many years who is willing to convey more backroom details than a lot of other mechanics and tire shops will with their customers. And he shared that with me. Looking at them later, you then notice these details more carefully.

It's no secret that Michelins are some of the most precisely constructed and best balanced tires in the industry. They've had that reputation since the early 70s. And they've earned it. I've had more than one over the years that were "bullseyes".

But if the thing eats through a tread in 8,000 miles, or dry cracks after three years, it's perhaps not so great a tire. And I've had a couple Michelins do some of those things, too, over the years. No tire is perfect yet.

And we're talking about low mass precision adhesive weights, not the high mass clip on ones you hammer on. All tires take more of the former style to balance. And I'm also talking about a couple street cars that have also been weekend tracked at over 130 mph. There, any tire and wheel irregularities are magnified immensely. When I mention a "serious vehicle", that's what we're talking about. Not the family Honda or the BMW commuter car darting down a wet Turnpike.

For the vehicle doing some of those weekend things, this tire would not be a first choice. And not just because some are harder to balance. There, I'll lean towards a Michelin. For lots of reasons.

But I'm sure all the people buying these Contis at Discount Tire or Costco are getting them delivered back balanced, and never worry or even think about these things. And for a street tire, or for the BMW hustling back and forth to work in rain and snow, they behave just fine. It's a tire worth what they charge for it.

What I find most amazing about this thread is the latching on to the very last phrase in what was a much more lengthly exposition of what is generally a very good, high value, performance tire. Very good tires. Not the most communicative tires, and they don't wear as gracefully as some others. And they're not as precisely constructed as the competing Michelin models are, and it's reflected at the balancing machine.

If that's a problem for some, I'm sorry.

Nothing can match Nokian in that department.
Ehh Walmart tires (or the guy who balanced them) need lotsa weights sometimes. The other matching tire only has one weight
IMG_20231017_154448225_HDR.jpg

In response to some of @Volvohead ’s observations about continentals balancing.

I really like their tires. I’ve had a few sets. What i like the most about them comes down to rubber formulation that excels in the rain and even light snow while being a quiet, effective, well-mannered tire. I currently have a set of their AT’s on my truck.

However - of the three sets we’ve owned since 2018, 1 set broke a sidewall cord and bubbled out. 1 set started to pull to the side. Current set has been good so far - but doesn’t “ride on glass.” They balance out on the machine but simply feel ever so slightly busy on the highway compared to a set of Yokohamas I had in between. It’s like they can’t quite dial in their consistency or last decimal’s precision. Simply my opinion, and I’ll fully acknowledge that I’m far too picky.

For my needs, especially driving a pickup, where rain traction is important, they are hard to beat.

In response to some of @Volvohead ’s observations about continentals balancing.

I really like their tires. I’ve had a few sets. What i like the most about them comes down to rubber formulation that excels in the rain and even light snow while being a quiet, effective, well-mannered tire. I currently have a set of their AT’s on my truck.

However - of the three sets we’ve owned since 2018, 1 set broke a sidewall cord and bubbled out. 1 set started to pull to the side. Current set has been good so far - but doesn’t “ride on glass.” They balance out on the machine but simply feel ever so slightly busy on the highway compared to a set of Yokohamas I had in between. It’s like they can’t quite dial in their consistency or last decimal’s precision. Simply my opinion, and I’ll fully acknowledge that I’m far too picky.

For my needs, especially driving a pickup, where rain traction is important, they are hard to beat.

Let’s put it this way. If a Michelin is unavailable for the vehicle, a Continental is almost always my next choice. That’s high praise. I’ve never been stranded on a Conti, and have never had to pull one from service.

They are great on trucks I’m told. And at the other end of the spectrum, up until its present set, I ran this DWS series on a classic Mercedes R129 for over a decade. That’s a car that can eat up a weak tire in no time, has very low profile rims in the sport package, and replacement wheels are a fortune at this point. Other than the slightly vague road feel from the sidewall flex (wanted here), they performed very gracefully. And it only went to a summer only Pilot Sport 4S this last set because we found that the car never went outside once the warm weather ended. Admittedly, the DWS is no match for a PS 4S in summer. But that’s an oddball application. I still keep a DWS for the spare in the trunk, because at the price, they are still a terrific bargain.

We’ve had these DWS on Mercedes, VWs, Volvos, Chryslers, and everything in between.

Slam me if you must, but I bought the Falken Azenis FK460 A/S in size 255-40x19 for my 2016 Mustang GT, based largely on Tire Rack testing and their customer comments. First thing I noticed was they are quieter than my old Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3+ tires, which were noisy when new and got worse. Also, the rear tires don't want to slip out like the Michelins when I get on the gas through a tight turn. However, the Michelins had been on the car for >6 years and 27K miles.

But other than than the two categories above, it's hard for me to discern a lot of difference. Maybe it's only in my head, but perhaps the Michelins were a bit more responsive to quick motions at the steering wheel.

I have no idea how well the Falkens will perform after 20K miles, but for me that's probably 4 years from now.

Fair or not, I shied away from the Contis because I had read about balancing issues on a couple websites.

Slam me if you must, but I bought the Falken Azenis FK460 A/S in size 255-40x19 for my 2016 Mustang GT, based largely on Tire Rack testing and their customer comments. First thing I noticed was they are quieter than my old Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3+ tires, which were noisy when new and got worse. Also, the rear tires don't want to slip out like the Michelins when I get on the gas through a tight turn. However, the Michelins had been on the car for >6 years and 27K miles.

But other than than the two categories above, it's hard for me to discern a lot of difference. Maybe it's only in my head, but perhaps the Michelins were a bit more responsive to quick motions at the steering wheel.

I have no idea how well the Falkens will perform after 20K miles, but for me that's probably 4 years from now.

Fair or not, I shied away from the Contis because I had read about balancing issues on a couple websites.

Definitely not going to slam you. I'm VERY interested in the FK460s for my brz.

I've had Michelin PS AS4s... really liked the performance and the feel of them but they were noisy and not very comfortable. Have also had Continental DWS06+ and they had the noise and comfort thing down with fine performance but I just don't love the feel of them.

Hope the 460s work out for you and am curious to hear more as you use them.

DirtyGary -- Hard for me to say the Falkens are any more comfortable, given the age and mileage of my old Michelin A/S 3+ tires that I'm comparing them to. But they are quieter. It's been >6 years since I bought the Michelins, but I do remember being disappointed early on with their noise and comfort.

If you do get a set of the Falkens for your BRZ, I'd be interested in your observations. Road noise and ride quality can vary a lot depending on bushing type, sound deadening, etc. used by the manufacturer.

Subbed to this thread. I have ran DWS eon's ago. Sidewalls seemed on the softer side

With climate change and milder winters, I am thinking if:when my other set of 315/30/22 PS4S needs new tires, I may convert this particular set to All Season ---In Which Conti DWS makes in this size and run them as winters vs my dedicated snows.

With climate change and milder winters, I am thinking if:when my other set of 315/30/22 PS4S needs new tires, I may convert this particular set to All Season ---In Which Conti DWS makes in this size and run them as winters vs my dedicated snows.
Have you tried the Michelin Pilot Alpin series? I was a hair's breadth from doing as you described with our M3, for similar reasons, and the Pilot Alpin PA5 kept me in the winter tire camp.

They are v. good, we run them on one of our VWs. I know lots of folks that swear by them where a winter tire isn't needed. Great all-arounder, decent winter performance for an AS tire. The below 40 thing is WAY overblown. I'd say below freezing...ok start to think about it....40? Hold my beer. I like the Michelin PS4 all seasons personally, run them on two of our VWs. I'd run the Contis in a heartbeat and honestly, if you can't drive hard on these on public roads, you have a driver issue.
That's for summer rubber, not all-seasons.

Have you tried the Michelin Pilot Alpin series? I was a hair's breadth from doing as you described with our M3, for similar reasons, and the Pilot Alpin PA5 kept me in the winter tire camp.

I have dedicated snows as such

The post was for my *3rd* set of wheels for this car - second different Summer wheel set.
There is 1 other AS available this size - Pirelli - OE spec for the Bentley

I have dedicated snows as such

The post was for my *3rd* set of wheels for this car - second different Summer wheel set.
There is 1 other AS available this size - Pirelli - OE spec for the Bentley
Ah, okay. Got it. Makes sense, then.

We bought a set of STI wheels that had DWS mounted. We found them quite good in rain, decent grip in dry.

I've run the older DWS06's on a few Civic Si's and really liked them. Debating running the new DWS06 Plus on my Accord Touring or going with the Pirelli P7 AS Plus 3

Back