Upcoming 0W5 Grade Red Line Oil Experiment- 2019 Lincoln Navigator 4WD 3.5L V6 Twin Turbo

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is a nice summary of one portion Zee. Bring it into the whole paper. The bearing clearance tighter lifts the MOFT. If you read it in whole there is an optimum viscosity to the oil clearance. Tighter bearing clearance, lower viscosity oil is optimum. Read paragraph below figure 3.
Now, take that at face value. You have an engine spec'd for 5W-30, so an HTHS of around 3.0cP and you are running an oil with an HTHS of 1.58cP. Do you think the bearing clearance selection for this engine was based around a 1.58cP HTHS?

^^^ From the article: "HTHS viscosity was a better predictor of bearing wear performance than oil film thickness."

Seems a bit obscure since minimum oil film thickness in a journal bearing is a function of the HTHS viscosity.

^^^ From the article: "HTHS viscosity was a better predictor of bearing wear performance than oil film thickness."

Seems a bit obscure since minimum oil film thickness in a journal bearing is a function of the HTHS viscosity.
They may have been referring to KV.

Now, take that at face value. You have an engine spec'd for 5W-30, so an HTHS of around 3.0cP and you are running an oil with an HTHS of 1.58cP. Do you think the bearing clearance selection for this engine was based around a 1.58cP HTHS?
I trust the car manufacturer engineers. Same engine without turbos might be 5w20 but add turbo heated oil and need 5w30.

Also, another oldie:
In both engines correlations were found among bearing wear, high-temperature high-shear-rate viscosity and oil elasticity.

That is a nice summary of one portion Zee. Bring it into the whole paper. The bearing clearance tighter lifts the MOFT. If you read it in whole there is an optimum viscosity to the oil clearance. Tighter bearing clearance, lower viscosity oil is optimum. Read paragraph below figure 3.

Viscosity is a balancing act between bearing oil clearance and oil viscosity. And the MOFT goes down with a greater bearing oil clearance. So the bearing clearance is important to choosing the viscosity. Guess you gotta trust the car manufacturer engineers.
From the paragraph below Figure 3.
"The calculations prove that optimal oil clearance (clearance providing the greatest value of min. oil film thickness) depends on the rotation speed and load applied to the bearing. An increase of oil clearance provides two opposite effects on the value of oil film thickness. On the one hand, oil film thickness increases due to the formation of a larger supporting oil wedge. On the other hand, non-uniformity (localization) of oil pressure, caused by excessive clearance, results in a decrease of oil film thickness. Oil pressure distribution has a peak close to the location of minimum oil film thickness. The value of the peak is dependent on the average load applied to the bearing, the journal rotation speed, lubricant viscosity and the value of journal eccentricity “e” (Fig.1) relative to the bearing."

But if you dig deeper you will see that applies even as the viscosity changes. Typically the thinner the oil, the less the MOFT will be as a function of bearing clearance. There is a more defined "optimum" clearance peak (around 0.0018") for the 0W-20 in the graph, not any optimum peak shown for the 10W-60. This graph is from the same website. Other viscosities between the two shown will have a curve someplace between the two shown.

1674180048155.png

Last edited:
I trust the car manufacturer engineers. Same engine without turbos might be 5w20 but add turbo heated oil and need 5w30.
You ever see those engineers specing 0W-5 for a turboed engine? Might be a reason for that. :unsure: ;)

So many charts showing that thicker oil has a thicker film. Great. Is there a chart showing oil film thickness verses wear in engines and under what conditions?

I remember there being a chart that showed an oil with a HTHS of 7 dropped bearing wear to zero.
I'll try to find it.

From the paragraph below Figure 3.
"The calculations prove that optimal oil clearance (clearance providing the greatest value of min. oil film thickness) depends on the rotation speed and load applied to the bearing. An increase of oil clearance provides two opposite effects on the value of oil film thickness. On the one hand, oil film thickness increases due to the formation of a larger supporting oil wedge. On the other hand, non-uniformity (localization) of oil pressure, caused by excessive clearance, results in a decrease of oil film thickness. Oil pressure distribution has a peak close to the location of minimum oil film thickness. The value of the peak is dependent on the average load applied to the bearing, the journal rotation speed, lubricant viscosity and the value of journal eccentricity “e” (Fig.1) relative to the bearing."

But if you dig deeper you will see that applies even as the viscosity changes. Typically the thinner the oil, the less the MOFT will be as a function of bearing clearance. There is a more defined "optimum" clearance peak (around 0.0018") for the 0W-20 in the graph, not any optimum peak shown for the 10W-60. This graph is from the same website. Other viscosities between the two shown will have a curve someplace between the two shown.

View attachment 136351
Bingo… All the most reliable car manufacturers run 0w20. Kinda shoots down 10w60

Bingo… All the most reliable car manufacturers run 0w20. Kinda shoots down 10w60
Kind of shoots down 0W-5 even more, lol. CAFE pretty much "shoots down" 10W-60. The discussion isn't about how good 10W-60 is or isn't in cars specifying 5W-30. And if you look at that data, a 10W-60 would actually give more MOFT compared to thinner oils, regardless of the bearing clearance (graph in post #147), and would obviously work better in bearings with more clearance than a thinner oil, and in cars that are pushed harder than the average cars.

Last edited:
Engine: This Black Label version of the Navigator has a 3.5L, 450-hp twin-turbo V-6 pushing an over 3 ton barn door through the wind. It has 9k towing capacity and specs a 5W30 motor oil. It is mated to a 10-speed automatic transmission. The package gets you to 60 MPH in 5.4 seconds. Correct me if am wrong - I think the twin turbos are of different sizes to minimize turbo lag, a small turbo and a large turbo to better cover the RPM range more efficiently.

Test Conditions:
The car had around 28,000 miles when the 5 grade oil was put into it, 29,000 when I took out the oil. The oil filter was changed with every oil change. I put in a new air filter at about the 25,000 mile mark. The journey for the 5 grade oil was around 50% highway milage on I-75 in Florida, posted speed limit 70 MPH though I usually go with the flow, that may be, at times, a little faster. The remainder was around town, pretty routine. Both highway and city driving had an easy 1 MPG fuel economy benefit. Often the back of the truck is full of stuff, heaviest load was on the highway trips. I never towed anything.

Tested Motor Oil:
Red Line 5WT Racing Oil 0W5 grade (their label, not mine)
Phosphorus, Avg PPM 3350
Zinc, Avg PPM 2400
Vis @ 100°C, CSt 4.6
Vis @ 40°C, CSt 21.8
Viscosity Index 134
CCS Viscosity, Poise, @ °C 20@-30°C
Pour Point, °C -54
Pour Point, °F -65
NOACK Evaporation Loss,1hr @ 482°F (250°C), % 12
HTHS = 1.58

So why the preamble? Several things. I am sending oil samples to Blackstone and two other higher end labs that should prove interesting. I will include a virgin oil analysis of the Red Line 5WT Racing Oil. I believe this comparison will be revealing. I collected a quart of fluid or more, mid-stream when I dropped the oil.

What to expect:
Well here is some of the results now. I have cut open the oil filter as I sometimes do. How about a blot test?
The Motorcraft oil filter paper did show some visible particles also seen under magnification.

View attachment 136190

View attachment 136191

View attachment 136192

The filter paper blot test was for 2 hours on the left and 1 hour on the right. The sample on the right was drawn just after shaking the container to make sure there were no settled particles nor separated solutions.
View attachment 136193

What are your thoughts (other than I am crazy) ?

Ali

Unfortunately, visible wear particles after 1k miles with 0W-5 oil on a vehicle speced for 5W-30
may indicate that this test was dangerous to the engine.

Last edited:
When HTHS decreases, so does MOFT. And when MOFT gets close to and becomes zero, then wear increases. Basic tribology of journal bearings, as discussed in all the previous posts in this thread.
So with MOFT approaching 0, the possibility of metal on metal contact gets more likely. The heat of the twin turbo's may have reduced MOFT even more. This might explain the wear particles in the oil filter. Will be interesting to see the used oil analysis for wear metals.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back