Understanding Ford's Oil Life Monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Hemi426
As many of you may know, I recently purchased a 07 Ford Escape Limited V6. I had the dealer install Mobil 1 5w-20 synthetic which I provided. I drove the SUV home (20 miles). Since then it's been just about all short trips to town and back. This oil has only been in service approx. 2-3 weeks. I checked my Oil Life Monitor today and it said 80% of oil life remaining. My question is do most people change their oil strictly by the monitor? At this rate, I'm only going to have about 1000 miles on the oil when the monitor runs down to zero. I'm going to try Mobil 1 EP, Pennzoil Ultra or Pennzoil Platinum in 5w-20 next time and see if I get different results.

Hemi426,

I'd ask the Ford service advisor about your OLM. Wether it's synthetic or dino the monitor wouldn't realize it so it's based on another factor.

In my 09" Impala SS my OLM takes to to 6K oil changes cuz I do 20 miles of freeway driving every day to work and home so I just go by what the OLM tells me. I'm getting ready for an OCI now so perhaps in about another month it'll go in for a service. I too use synthetic M1.

Durango

The OLM on my 2008 Taurus reads about 45-50% life left when I change the oil at 4K. I asked the Ford service manager about the OLM and he said it's a combination of time and mileage. I guess if you just let it sit, it will tell you to change the oil at 6 months. For what it's worth.

Of course there is at least SOME intelligence in anybody's OLM system.

But the point was that NONE measure the oil in any way, except maybe for level .
Mileage is a huge factor for any OLM, with some having more conditions to rely on.
We will end up with a minimum and maximum, just like always.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2

But the point was that NONE measure the oil in any way, except maybe for level .

Not true. Current crop of BMW engines have oil sensors that measure the oil's dielectric properties to determine whether the oil is suited for continued use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back