Oil choice before trip; Quick decision

There's so much misinformation in the automotive service industry in general. I think it's that old wives tales are everywhere, but when employees hear it from fellow dealer/OEM trained "experts" the BS sticks because people take that word at face value instead of questioning it. I've met even Master Techs that would spout complete and utter nonsense with full confidence.
I was in a BMW indie shop(just checking them out as i was in the area) where all the mechanics were ex BMW employees. They had an old E39(i was curious as i like those) there that seemed to have a lifter tick(IMO, probably not) and their solution was to put 1/2 quart of ATF in. I never visited them again and would not recommend to anyone. They must have had about over 120 years experience all together there on BMWs.

I mean what dnewton3 said for sure…

Valvoline Instant Oil would be my choice if it absolutely had to happen before you left. I got the oil done the other day. Saw the VL Instant Oil shop was empty while driving by, oil light was on, wheeled on in and got it done. VL 0W20 and filter - out the door in less the 15 mins and on about life.

Next existential crisis - what fuel to buy while out of town? Answer - any of it.

None. Unless if your emergency requires to you put another 4,000 miles onto oil that you already have 15,000 miles on, I would simply get in the car and go.

Plenty of evidence here showing that motor oil simply does not go bad because it has 5k on the clock. Or 10k. If you’re hitting the highway for extending cruising, those are the most gentile miles.

Deal with the emergency, then change the oil with what you wanted in the first place.
4k/6 months is my absolute maximum (5W-30 full synthetic oil is all I use) to avoid sludge/varnish.
I have the Honda J35 with VCM enabled engines which has extreme heat points on front cylinder heads which cooks the oil.
I also do STP high concentrated engine flushes with every oil change and am also doing three 4k OCI in each of my 4 vehicles with the mixture of: 1 quart HPL EC30 + 3.5 quarts regular synthetic. Trying to clean out and keep clean these engines so they can go to 300k miles each. A short OCI is not about reducing engine wear. It's about increasing engine cleanliness.

4k/6 months is my absolute maximum (5W-30 full synthetic oil is all I use) to avoid sludge/varnish.
I have the Honda J35 with VCM enabled engines which has extreme heat points on front cylinder heads which cooks the oil.
I also do STP high concentrated engine flushes with every oil change and am also doing three 4k OCI in each of my 4 vehicles with the mixture of: 1 quart HPL EC30 + 3.5 quarts regular synthetic. Trying to clean out and keep clean these engines so they can go to 300k miles each. A short OCI is not about reducing engine wear. It's about increasing engine cleanliness.
During an emergency... who cares about engine cleanliness?

Good morning! Have a emergency and leaving town. Need a oil change before I go. My dealer i normally use is closed. 21 escape 1.5 150,000 miles. Choices are valvolinest instant oil ,pennzoil 10 min, or ford quick lane?? Whats your Choice?

You never said how many miles were on the oil, or what oil was in there. That might have been a better question.

Good luck with the delivery.

Good morning! Have an emergency and leaving town. Need an oil change before I go. My dealer i normally use is closed. 21 escape 1.5 150,000 miles. Choices are valvolinest instant oil ,pennzoil 10 min, or ford quick lane?? Whats your Choice?
What is this drive? Can’t it wait? emergency would be my priority. I wouldn’t even be asking advice just get it done if it’s dire.

One I want to see a picture of the odometer
Two I want to know where you drive from and to?
09.jpg

And I never said I drove it that much.

I was in a BMW indie shop(just checking them out as i was in the area) where all the mechanics were ex BMW employees. They had an old E39(i was curious as i like those) there that seemed to have a lifter tick(IMO, probably not) and their solution was to put 1/2 quart of ATF in. I never visited them again and would not recommend to anyone. They must have had about over 120 years experience all together there on BMWs.
That's not any worse than people dumping 1/2 quart of MMO in their oil, so it shouldn't hurt anything. I would probably try a thicker or different brand oil, or a good additive like ceratec before I used ATF.

Back