UK to ban sale of new petrol and diesel cars from 2030

Interesting take on service. If that local Tesla dealer is booked a month out, what the heck is really going on?
TFLCar experience with a damaged rear quarter on their Tesla was very interesting.

That was interesting. A lot of of stuff not yet perfected.

Someone should remind the host that he is not conducting a orchestra.

Interesting take on service. If that local Tesla dealer is booked a month out, what the heck is really going on?
TFLCar experience with a damaged rear quarter on their Tesla was very interesting.

Once the electric cars become more mainstream, there will be more refinement and better reliability. AKA once Toyota starts going electric only, its game over haha.

Once the electric cars become more mainstream, there will be more refinement and better reliability. AKA once Toyota starts going electric only, its game over haha.
Reliability is not an issue with Teslas. Toyota/Lexus make super reliable cars and the best hybrids.
They are a formidible company, but are 10 years behind Tesla in the EV game.

Reliability is not an issue with Teslas. Toyota/Lexus make super reliable cars and the best hybrids.
They are a formidible company, but are 10 years behind Tesla in the EV game.
As are most companies.
Key question is in 10 years will they still be 10 years behind, or will they have caught and passed Tesla?

As are most companies.
Key question is in 10 years will they still be 10 years behind, or will they have caught and passed Tesla?
The corollary question is what has Toyota been doing all this time?
Tesla is a pure play EV company; their only focus in EV technology.
From day 1 people have made assumptions like this. Nothing close has materialized.
Even the mighty Porsche with the gorgeous Taycan fell far short of thier own expectations.

Pure play EV company doesn't mean your car won't overheat on the Nürburgring like a Mustang GT or Corvette would ;-)
They were doing hydrogen, doing hybrids for Le Mans and hybrids for sale, pickup trucks, whatever...

They all were just keeping up with the old as long as it weren't more important to keep up with the new. You're phantasizing a role and position in a niche of last year as some nebulous sort of original accumulation while in reality the kind of attraction Tesla makes a living from will get lost within no time over some virality and 'next level' of whatever gimmickry that may get attached to a competing car.
The team that invented a game is hardly destined to dominate the championship for long and a Tesla daddy may just as well have to accept raising an anti-Tesla kid as he may be "blessed" with raising his spitting image. What's more, whatever a kid might look like while doing it – it could be the one person killing Tesla while using its smartphone or PC or next level pc.
In the meantime: Imagine a LiquiMoly Taycan with a KnightRider voice: There goes your volatile ten years.

Last edited:
The corollary question is what has Toyota been doing all this time?
Tesla is a pure play EV company; their only focus in EV technology.
From day 1 people have made assumptions like this. Nothing close has materialized.
Even the mighty Porsche with the gorgeous Taycan fell far short of thier own expectations.

Maybe they are working on something else? There is more to mobility than a electric car.

Is the EV game the battery EV game? Fuel cell cars are a cleaner technology, much faster to refuel, and does not produce battery waste. Battery powered electric motors are a stopgap technology. Toyota is far ahead with hydrogen fuel cell designs.

USA 2030: https://www.zeta2030.org/news/clean...nch-zero-emission-transportation-association/

Quite a distance! Norway is targeting 2025 and not even for Norway then Tesla can be expected to be dominant, don't bet on the brand. All over the globe many would be able to stick to their household's brand when making the move. If necessary there'll even be the Buick dressed as an Oldsmobile again. Brands as such are increasingly virtual anyway.

"15 minutes and 250 miles" is ICE think which is fine for ICE cars. EVs are different.
How about 250 miles and no waiting? Most EV owners come home, plug in and go in the house. I tell people, these cars are different; you learn.

If you are interested, perhaps go test drive an entry level Tesla Model 3. They start at $38K. 263 mile range (EPA, not what you will get), 0 to 60 in 5.3 seconds but they feel faster in real world driving.
Amazing cars.
The problem is I may have a day where I have to do 400-500 miles R/T for work. An electric car only works if recharge times are measured in minutes, not hours.

I’m not against electric vehicles. I am realistic about what I need in a vehicle. My use case is not always 30-60 miles and home that night. A few times a month I have 300+ mile days in my car, so recharging has to be in minutes.

Likewise, my on-call weeks don’t guarantee I’ll be home overnight. I might have a day where I leave at 8am, return and 2 or 3 the next day, grab a few hours of sleep and then I’m out again.

Again, I’m not against electric cars, they simply have some challenges to overcome.
My daughter wanted one, but living in an apartment and parking on the street makes that a no-go.

She bought a 2015 Prius instead.

The problem is I may have a day where I have to do 400-500 miles R/T for work. An electric car only works if recharge times are measured in minutes, not hours.

I’m not against electric vehicles. I am realistic about what I need in a vehicle. My use case is not always 30-60 miles and home that night. A few times a month I have 300+ mile days in my car, so recharging has to be in minutes.

Likewise, my on-call weeks don’t guarantee I’ll be home overnight. I might have a day where I leave at 8am, return and 2 or 3 the next day, grab a few hours of sleep and then I’m out again.

Again, I’m not against electric cars, they simply have some challenges to overcome.
My daughter wanted one, but living in an apartment and parking on the street makes that a no-go.

She bought a 2015 Prius instead.

Those scenarios with a single car household is where PHEV's really shine. You get the benefit of the BEV on the short trips and can still make the long hauls if you need to.

Those scenarios with a single car household is where PHEV's really shine. You get the benefit of the BEV on the short trips and can still make the long hauls if you need to.
I can see a scenario that when we retire, we would go to one all electric and one vehicle that uses a fuel that allows for quick refueling.

oilBabe will retire after three more school years, but I'm working for benefits and funding my 401(k) for a while longer.

I can see a scenario that when we retire, we would go to one all electric and one vehicle that uses a fuel that allows for quick refueling.

oilBabe will retire after three more school years, but I'm working for benefits and funding my 401(k) for a while longer.

My gripe about the current PHEV's is that not one of them is performance geared. At least with the BEV's, most of them are reasonably quick, like the e-tron, Taycan and of course the Tesla offerings. I'm obsessive about luxury and good performance and currently nothing in that category checks both those boxes.

Maybe they are working on something else? There is more to mobility than a electric car.
I thought they were off playing with hydrogen and fuel cells?

They did bring out the Prius. Usually we think of Asia as copying, but I want to say, they did something different there on that one. And to Cujet's point, they may still have the lead on the whole well-to-wheels thing (I haven't a clue, been a long time since I looked).

If there is a loophole for hybrids then perhaps Toyota doesn't need to do anything?

My gripe about the current PHEV's is that not one of them is performance geared. At least with the BEV's, most of them are reasonably quick, like the e-tron, Taycan and of course the Tesla offerings. I'm obsessive about luxury and good performance and currently nothing in that category checks both those boxes.
Why can't they have the equivalent of my '99 Camry? Just as boring but minus all the LCD's. I don't need a rocketship to go to the grocery store. Speedometer and gas gauge, maybe a radio for some tunes. I drove a Prius once and hated it: my Camry felt better (that's quite a knock if you think about it!). I like the concept but something put my teeth on edge--maybe I need to drive one for a month or something.

I thought they were off playing with hydrogen and fuel cells?

They did bring out the Prius. Usually we think of Asia as copying, but I want to say, they did something different there on that one. And to Cujet's point, they may still have the lead on the whole well-to-wheels thing (I haven't a clue, been a long time since I looked).

If there is a loophole for hybrids then perhaps Toyota doesn't need to do anything?

Why can't they have the equivalent of my '99 Camry? Just as boring but minus all the LCD's. I don't need a rocketship to go to the grocery store. Speedometer and gas gauge, maybe a radio for some tunes. I drove a Prius once and hated it: my Camry felt better (that's quite a knock if you think about it!). I like the concept but something put my teeth on edge--maybe I need to drive one for a month or something.
Don't they make a hybrid Camry? I suspect one of those may be closer to fitting the bill.

Don't they make a hybrid Camry? I suspect one of those may be closer to fitting the bill.
Probably. But last I knew, they swooped up the design quite a bit, gave it 17" rims and the works. Bit fancy for my tastes at the moment.

Back