UK to ban sale of new petrol and diesel cars from 2030

Looks like hybrids will be the loophole if you actually read the article.

Hybrids may in fact use less energy per mile than EV's. The multiple losses from Power Plant fuel, to wheel on an EV are higher than most realize. Put simply, a gallon of energy (you pick ems) will drive most hybrids a minimum of 20% farther than a gallon of energy fed into a Power Plant that charges an EV.

Furthermore, today's hybrids are already excellent and getting better. Ford is coming out with a Hybrid 400+ HP F150.

Furthermore, today's hybrids are already excellent and getting better. Ford is coming out with a Hybrid 400+ HP F150.

In addition to its performance as a vehicle, the optional onboard generator at 7.2kW is very exciting to me for off-grid "camping" and emergency backup use at home.

I hope they are planning on doubling or tripling the electric grid capacity to power their total electric transportation system. And what source of energy will power those electric plants? EV's are not "pollution free". They just move the source of pollution to a fixed plant. Even wind and solar create "eye pollution" by visually polluting the landscape with massive windmills and solar arrays.

I hope they are planning on doubling or tripling the electric grid capacity to power their total electric transportation system. And what source of energy will power those electric plants? EV's are not "pollution free". They just move the source of pollution to a fixed plant. Even wind and solar create "eye pollution" by visually polluting the landscape with massive windmills and solar arrays.
Yes … they can have a very large footprint too … One thing horizontally drilled gas wells can do is cluster the wellheads close together whereas the vertical wells were very scattered

EV's are not "pollution free". They just move the source of pollution to a fixed plant. Even wind and solar create "eye pollution" by visually polluting the landscape with massive windmills and solar arrays.
As well, let's look at the true costs of solar and wind including subsidies as well as actual output not just rated output.
A not so secret secret, is that solar and wind needs conventional generation backup, for times the wind doesn't blow and the sun doesn't shine.
Layer all that into a true cost per kwh vs a well run nuclear site such as Darlington, Ontario, the difference in costs would be "shocking" I am sure.

No chance, Germany and France would stick to the 2040 date, that has long been clear. So, regarding Europe there's nothing disruptive to GB's move. Just contemporary decisions, in line with offshore development and everything. Whoever next.
Bavarian Mr. Söder recently mentioned 2035, but he's a man of agility, mobility, flexibility even more than a man of BMW and greater Bavaria will hardly stay behind. Johnson didn't steal much of a show.

Last edited:
So Boris has that power in the UK, no voting on it? So the next PM comes along and changes it then. I can’t see it to that extreme happening in just ten years. I would guess chances of it are zero. Maybe in a hundred years it will all be developed to satisfy the motoring public in their I dont really care about anything general mentality about cars.

Yeah, solar is really dumb.
In the past year and a half I've paid $10 per month, or less, to be hooked up to the PGE grid. $0 for the actual electricity. And in the summer I now blast the AC like never before.
It increased the value of our house, even though the house value is 99% based on zip code.
Tesla gas and maintenance cost, $0. Other cars, oil, gas, plugs, brakes, stuff, lotsa money.

America can lead in the EV and renewable energy industries or let someone else.
I appreciate and learn from people's information regarding costs, efficiency, etc., but to an extent I find them cherry picking. I can cherry pick too.
Subsidies? Name a gas company or car maker who hasn't had subsidies. Tesla paid back loans that others have not.
Efficiency? Depends on the car and use case.
No wind or sun? Batteries are seeing more installations.

It seems almost simple – all you need to do is connect a number of hydrogen atoms to one helium atom, and there you have cheap and clean energy. The sun has been doing it for five billion years.

1605629400708.jpeg

People Mover by Walt Disney

Laws set to be implemented, but not for 10 or more years in the future almost always changed in some form or fashion before the original law and deadline lick in. Kicking the can down the road gets politicians elected.

Yeah, solar is really dumb.
In the past year and a half I've paid $10 per month, or less, to be hooked up to the PGE grid. $0 for the actual electricity. And in the summer I now blast the AC like never before.
It increased the value of our house, even though the house value is 99% based on zip code.
Tesla gas and maintenance cost, $0. Other cars, oil, gas, plugs, brakes, stuff, lotsa money.

America can lead in the EV and renewable energy industries or let someone else.
I appreciate and learn from people's information regarding costs, efficiency, etc., but to an extent I find them cherry picking. I can cherry pick too.
Subsidies? Name a gas company or car maker who hasn't had subsidies. Tesla paid back loans that others have not.
Efficiency? Depends on the car and use case.
No wind or sun? Batteries are seeing more installations.

It seems almost simple – all you need to do is connect a number of hydrogen atoms to one helium atom, and there you have cheap and clean energy. The sun has been doing it for five billion years.
Does the Tesla even take tires? :D

Back