Pre-2010 Big Rigs Banned From California Roads

Status
Not open for further replies.
Build millions of new trucks to replace perfectly fine ones. You know because that's good for the environment. We have a Freightliner in our fleet with 50k miles that is being banned. What a joke.
Well It's not like nobody was aware as the legislation was announced in 2008 and the state set aside $1B to aid business owners with compliance (ex. fitting DPF).

What they are going to accomplish by doing this is... nothing. This doesn't ban these trucks from using their roads, just from being able to be registered in CA. All this will cause is that these truck owners will register them in another state.

T

Warning you that they are taking your vehicle away doesn't make it better. This is the 3rd vehicle banned.
Business owners have always been responsible for being aware of the regulatory climate in which they operate. Should I be allowed to operate a coal burning smelter on a property adjacent yours? Probably not. When private property rights aren't defended regulations step in to try to fill the gap.

What they are going to accomplish by doing this is... nothing. This doesn't ban these trucks from using their roads, just from being able to be registered in CA. All this will cause is that these truck owners will register them in another state.
Better local air quality in the LA and Central Valley basin ? NOx reduction?

More trucks for the rest of us. Fine by me.

I read another article - in that trucking companies had planned to run their trucks as long as possible then change the engine (makes sense) - except due to the pandemic and supply chain issues there are no engines to be had.

There state, they can run it however they see fit.

Ya this has been going on for a long time now. All our older but good trucks had to get parked. And it just so happens that we can't keep the compliant ones running.

C.A.R.B. gets to overstep their bounds and since the folks running the state agree with them it's ok.

Btw California banned the old 2 stroke green leakers back in the 90's.

People forget how bad things were 50 or so years ago. I remember in 1955 driving with my parents out to the sea shore and the smog was so thick it blocked the sun. Cars were driving during the day with their headlights on.

Who remembers acid rain, where the water falling from the sky was contaminated with sulphuric acid, and the acid was eating away at buildings, statues, and various parts of our infrastructure?

Who remembers frequent smog alerts, where residents of various cities were requested to stay indoors and keep their windows closed?

Who remembers the burning Cuyahoga River, which winds its way through northeast Ohio before emptying into Lake Erie, a river which had the reputation of oozing rather than flowing?

Cleaning up all these messes made life better for all of us even though greedy and selfish people who were impacted by the cleanup complained loudly about the "unfairness" of it all, yet in the long run, they, too, benefited, as did their children and grandchildren.

I like going outside in the sunshine and fresh air, and if my contribution to that is paying more for a head of lettuce, well, that's my contribution gladly made.

Another thing for the easily-outraged to be outraged about. First EVs, then stoves, and now trucks. Have to keep the momentum going and move to a new topic before the old one gets stale.

1.5 million trucks have complied with the rule and retrofitted.

How is an additional 70,000 truck (which represents only 5% of the ones that have complied) going to "upend" the trucking industry, especially considering they've known about the rule for 15 years?

Seems like they've figured it out just fine and those 70,000 trucks are likely destined for fleets in other states or are simply at their end-of-life and not worth retrofitting.

People forget how bad things were 50 or so years ago. I remember in 1955 driving with my parents out to the sea shore and the smog was so thick it blocked the sun. Cars were driving during the day with their headlights on.

Who remembers acid rain, where the water falling from the sky was contaminated with sulphuric acid, and the acid was eating away at buildings, statues, and various parts of our infrastructure?

Who remembers frequent smog alerts, where residents of various cities were requested to stay indoors and keep their windows closed?

Who remembers the burning Cuyahoga River, which winds its way through northeast Ohio before emptying into Lake Erie, a river which had the reputation of oozing rather than flowing?

Cleaning up all these messes made life better for all of us even though greedy and selfish people who were impacted by the cleanup complained loudly about the "unfairness" of it all, yet in the long run, they, too, benefited, as did their children and grandchildren.

I like going outside in the sunshine and fresh air, and if my contribution to that is paying more for a head of lettuce, well, that's my contribution gladly made.
I agree to a point. 50 years ago cars had little or no emissions systems. Ignition points out of adjustment carbureators floats sunk etc.

Emissions and emissions testing does do a lot for the air. I remember not being able to see the mountains for the smog.

But where do you draw the line? Maybe mandatory emissions tests for trucks to make sure they are running as clean as designed?

There are very few older trucks used as a work truck because they just plain wear out and are not worth fixing .

The few older trucks you may see likely have an upgraded engine anyway.

We have an 06 Pete with a cat C15 that was state of the art in 06 as far as emissions go. It's a far cry from some old mechanical 250 Cummins that smoked like the truck in the movie Duel.

We can't run that truck any more. It's replacement cost $300k and is broken more than it's running due to emissions parts failures.

I was curious and found this:

Average Lifespan of Semi Trucks
An average car lasts about 200,000 miles or so. A typical semi truck can last up to around 750,000 miles or more. There have even been trucks to hit the one million mile mark! On average, a semi truck drives about 45,000 miles per year. This means that you can probably expect to get about 15 years of use out of your truck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back