Pre-2010 Big Rigs Banned From California Roads

Status
Not open for further replies.
People forget how bad things were 50 or so years ago. I remember in 1955 driving with my parents out to the sea shore and the smog was so thick it blocked the sun. Cars were driving during the day with their headlights on.

Who remembers acid rain, where the water falling from the sky was contaminated with sulphuric acid, and the acid was eating away at buildings, statues, and various parts of our infrastructure?

Who remembers frequent smog alerts, where residents of various cities were requested to stay indoors and keep their windows closed?

Who remembers the burning Cuyahoga River, which winds its way through northeast Ohio before emptying into Lake Erie, a river which had the reputation of oozing rather than flowing?

Cleaning up all these messes made life better for all of us even though greedy and selfish people who were impacted by the cleanup complained loudly about the "unfairness" of it all, yet in the long run, they, too, benefited, as did their children and grandchildren.

I like going outside in the sunshine and fresh air, and if my contribution to that is paying more for a head of lettuce, well, that's my contribution gladly made.
This is true. I always say that some people would poop in their drinking water supply if it was easy and convenient.

Things have come a long way even in my time since the 80s, and as an engineer, we had to do case studies of some other situations and incidents.

The issue from my viewpoint is when we start splitting such hairs that it drives idiocy. Let’s get rid of small diesels, and push much lower efficiency gas engines. So let’s generate tons of CO2 (literally, as in mass) for a few ppm of NOx. For an issue that doesn’t affect a massive fraction of the population. And even if you don’t like diesels, the same could be said about the never ending requirements on gas engines….

The problem is NOx in diesel engines.
Paris is excellent example. Limestone from old buildings deteriorated so much that you can actually see it without looking for it. Complements of NOx and French diesel craze in 70’s, 80’s and 90’s.

Now, think what is does to lungs.
Are you aware of any good writings on GTL derived “diesel” … ?

California likes to blow its horn about being “ the fourth largest GDP “ in the world. That’s not really a function of anything special in California. It’s due to the large GDP of the USA. California happens to have the largest population of all States so their segment is largest of all.

California does not have the highest GDP per capita in the USA. That belongs to New York, actually, to North Dakota but that’s a function of their small population. Washington and Massachusetts also have a GDP per capita higher than California. Texas, and Florida also have world class GDP’s but trail behind California because of their population numbers.

Edit. Add New York to the list of world class GDP’s.

Last edited:
California likes to blow its horn about being “ the fourth largest GDP “ in the world. That’s not really a function of anything special in California. It’s due to the large GDP of the USA. California happens to have the largest population of all States so their segment is largest off all.

California does not have the highest GDP per capita in the USA. That belongs to New York, actually, to North Dakota but that’s a function of their small population. Washington and Massachusetts also have a GDP per capita higher than California. Texas and Florida also have world class GDP’s but trail behind California because of their population numbers.

How else would you garner so much power and influence? CA is a rich state, not a city or county or city-state. They wield enormous geopolitical, social and economic influence solely because of the money. Do you think anyone would pay one bit of attention to half of the rich idiots if they were poor?

Also, half of the households in California make $50,000 or less per year. Not worse than other states but certainly not everyone in California is wealthy.

I get that, but not everyone votes and not everyone votes in their own best self interest. If there was some magic way to force people to objectively learn about what’s going on and what their decision mean, AND be involved, we’d live in a very different society. I believe that would have major positive implications, but also major setbacks in other areas. Most people don’t get involved, so the people in charge can pretty much do what they want, because those who haven’t done anything about it likely won’t going forward.

California likes to blow its horn about being “ the fourth largest GDP “ in the world. That’s not really a function of anything special in California. It’s due to the large GDP of the USA. California happens to have the largest population of all States so their segment is largest of all.

California does not have the highest GDP per capita in the USA. That belongs to New York, actually, to North Dakota but that’s a function of their small population. Washington and Massachusetts also have a GDP per capita higher than California. Texas and Florida also have world class GDP’s but trail behind California because of their population numbers.
Hmmm, yeah.
1. Why so many people lived there?
2. Nothing stops Mississippi to disturb that economic system.

Hmmm, yeah.
I have asked myself why so many people live in California. Without a single lick of data in my speculation, here is what I have come up with:
  • Move west young man- the entire country has always been moving west- the trend continues
  • Immigrants from Asia make up a huge and growing part of California, and Asia's population is huge. Although some Asian immigrants do end up in places like Chicago, Detroit, etc- vast majority of Asian immigrants end up in California
  • Weather- plain and simple. Every time I exit an aircraft at LAX (I exit onto the tarmac, not a jet bridge), I am blown away at how welcoming the weather always is- not too hot, not cold, sunny and dry
If I win the lotto big (I don't play lotto), I am moving to California.

Hmmm, yeah.
People and businesses both small and large are moving out in record numbers. The inflation adjusted gdp of California is in decline along with its tax revenue which has lead to the 22+ billion deficit they have now when they had a near 100 billion dollar surplus a while ago. They're spending too much and climate spending is a big part of it. Politico has a decent article on it.

I have asked myself why so many people live in California. Without a single lick of data in my speculation, here is what I have come up with:
  • Move west young man- the entire country has always been moving west- the trend continues
  • Immigrants from Asia make up a huge and growing part of California, and Asia's population is huge. Although some Asian immigrants do end up in places like Chicago, Detroit, etc- vast majority of Asian immigrants end up in California
  • Weather- plain and simple. Every time I exit an aircraft at LAX (I exit onto the tarmac, not a jet bridge), I am blown away at how welcoming the weather always is- not too hot, not cold, sunny and dry
If I win the lotto big (I don't play lotto), I am moving to California.
Sure, CA has some weather advantages, but also disadvantages.
But, here is a thing: the US has most mobile workforce. Generally, people are not static. Nothing stops them to move to other states. But, I lived in CA, AL, CO and MI, and I am not coming back to AL and MI.

5 years ago I started adding a surcharge on any freight we hauled to California, this year I quit hauling there period.

I also add surcharges for a couple other areas.... I'm not eating the costs of a local or state government that decides it needs special rule$$. For example, it costs a bloody fortune to get a truck into and out of NYC, why should I eat that cost?

This is very common with trucking and other companies and results in driving up the cost of life for the people in these areas or states. If they think they need these rules, fine.

People and businesses both small and large are moving out in record numbers. The inflation adjusted gdp of California is in decline along with its tax revenue which has lead to the 22+ billion deficit they have now when they had a near 100 billion dollar surplus a while ago. They're spending too much and climate spending is a big part of it. Politico has a decent article on it.
All states have up and downs. I cane to AL during big economic boom, when auto companies were tripping over each others who will open plant. Last census they lost congressional seat!
In CA, correction comes faster to policies, if people disagree with them. In AL, not so much.

Sure, CA has some weather advantages, but also disadvantages.
But, here is a thing: the US has most mobile workforce. Generally, people are not static. Nothing stops them to move to other states. But, I lived in CA, AL, CO and MI, and I am not coming back to AL and MI.
I only lived in Alabama for about six months, late 1990s (Anniston, AL). No complaints.

As I have driven west of Birmingham, AL on the new interstate, I am amazed at the magical beauty of Northern Alabama, with rolling hills, small mountains, and streams and rivers everywhere. Seems like the area 50 miles west of Birmingham might be the next big hotspot where people that want the Tennessee terrain, but can no longer afford it- migrate to.

I only lived in Alabama for about six months, late 1990s (Anniston, AL). No complaints.

As I have driven west of Birmingham, AL on the new interstate, I am amazed at the magical beauty of Northern Alabama, with rolling hills, small mountains, and streams and rivers everywhere. Seems like the area 50 miles west of Birmingham might be the next big hotspot where people that want the Tennessee terrain, but can no longer afford it- migrate to.
AL is beautiful state that comes with A LOT of strings attached. For retirees it makes some sense. But, there are 47-48 states where I would rather raise kids.
VW decided not to open plant in AL simply bcs. TN has far better public schools, although AL gave better tax incentives. I worked for AL government on that deal. AL lost it bcs. of its long rooted problems not bcs. lack of incentives.

AL is beautiful state that comes with A LOT of strings attached. For retirees it makes some sense. But, there are 47-48 states where I would rather raise kids.
VW decided not to open plant in AL simply bcs. TN has far better public schools, although AL gave better tax incentives. I worked for AL government on that deal. AL lost it bcs. of its long rooted problems not bcs. lack of incentives.
Your post triggered a memory of my short time living in Alabama. One Saturday afternoon I went out for a drive. I saw a Dad holding antlers to his head and running back and forth between houses. Next I saw why, the kids were trying to hit the dad with arrows from a bow/arrow. I assume training the kids to bow hunt deer.

Last edited:
Your post triggered a memory of my short time living in Alabama. One Saturday afternoon I went out for a drive. I saw kids running back and forth between two single family homes. Next I saw why, what I assume was one of the kids' Dad, was a man shooting at the kids with a bow and arrow, as they ran between the houses. The kids were trying not to get hit.
Those are nice stories, but AL had second highest obesity and diabetes rates among kids when I left. There are multiple reasons for it, that don’t belong here.
That is why I said, there is a reason why so many people live in CA, and yes, CA does have some serious issues. But, it is all calculation and priorities. I lived in AL as a singles guy. I could live again, alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back