UA flight #328 loses engine over Broomfield CO.

Yes, I’ve flown on that very aircraft (VH-OQA). It was the first A380 in the QANTAS fleet.

Currently parked up at Victorville, CA with her 11 siblings for the foreseeable future. Hopefully to return to the skies one day..
I was in Jakarta when that engine failed … IIRC, some debris landed in Batam ?

Took this one to MEL …
was seated with some WWE guys heading for an event it Oz … talked to a couple wrestlers

CBEE114E-A678-4CB6-9E52-D1642F325DB3.jpeg

I live about 5 miles south of Broomfield.
I am 40 miles due west of DIA.
If I go out on my patio any time of the day or night for 10 minutes I will see 4 or 5 planes coming over me heading west.
And they are not very high it seems but the foothills are just west of me and the 14K mountains just behind them.
Sometimes they are a little south or north of me.
But a lot go directly over head.
More then once I have thought about something like this.

It really is a remarkable testament to the skill and calmness of the crew. Not to mention the engineers who designed the aircraft with such a high degree of safety margin built-in, particularly to preserve the integrity of the wing in such an event.

I mean, an engine literally disintegrated, caught on fire and the aircraft landed safely with no injuries. It blows my mind.

Agree with you, but honestly it happens a lot more often than most people realize. For example, it happened another time THE SAME DAY (yesterday).

It just didn't get the media attention because a) freighter and not pax, b) in Holland, landed in Belgium, and c) No close-up video.

Flying UA to ORD out of EWR in a month. Staying away from Pratt and Whitney engines for awhile. Fortunately you can determine what aircraft/engine manufacturer is scheduled to provide service on your particular flight from the UA website.

Flying UA to ORD out of EWR in a month. Staying away from Pratt and Whitney engines for awhile. Fortunately you can determine what aircraft/engine manufacturer is scheduled to provide service on your particular flight from the UA website.
Isn’t it pretty much just 737s on that route?

I'm flying UA today...and I wouldn't give a second thought who made the engine. If you take how many safe/no problem flight hours on any plane/engine/airline compared to flights with issues the percentage is pretty **** small. I've got just about 3M miles overall in the air, 2.2M with United, and the safety record is pretty **** good by me.

I'm flying UA today...and I wouldn't give a second thought who made the engine. If you take how many safe/no problem flight hours on any plane/engine/airline compared to flights with issues the percentage is pretty **** small. I've got just about 3M miles overall in the air, 2.2M with United, and the safety record is pretty **** good by me.
Look, I get it. But for me, an occasional flyer from EWR to ORD why not pick an aircraft that’s powered by engines that DON’T have fan blades shearing off. I agree, flying is so much safer. Believe it or not I blame Nissan for my anxiety. You guys don’t know what is like to have TWO Nissan cvts.

Look, I get it. But for me, an occasional flyer from EWR to ORD why not pick an aircraft that’s powered by engines that DON’T have fan blades shearing off. I agree, flying is so much safer. Believe it or not I blame Nissan for my anxiety. You guys don’t know what is like to have TWO Nissan cvts.
Pretty sure all 3 of the engine OEMs for the 777 have had engine failures.

It’s rare, but it happens.

Black arrow is nose ring attachment points...
Green arrow are hollow titanium high bypass fan blades (about 80% of thrust)...
Blue arrow is the actual engine compressor intake...
Orange arrow is the combustion chambers...
Red arrow are the turbine blades...
UA328PW1.JPG

Back