UA flight #328 loses engine over Broomfield CO.

Fractured fan blade might have cause an out of balance condition to the point of cowl destruction... blade ingestion might caused the turbine to fail in flames...
UA328Boeing1.JPG

Last edited:
A flight from Denver to Honolulu I can't see how it wouldn't be overweight unless the plane was like half full or less. Is that not about an eight hour flight?

I guess eight hours isn't that long for a 777

I saw a piece of Skylab when I was in WA. Pretty sure it was in a town called Pemberton. A shop had it sitting on a counter, possibly under glass but not sure now. It was about 2 ft. long.

That spread across a few hundred miles of Western Australia, but the most was in a town called Esperance.

r0_0_4735_6613_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

I'd be curious if anyone might map where the pieces were found for these pieces from the engine.

The stopping distance for an overweight 777, even in Denver, is remarkably short. 12,000 is plenty. Part of what they were doing was calculating that precise distance and evaluating each runway.

Don't they have some ridiculously long runway? I know that none of them cross. So they landed on 26. I guess they have a ton of options there.

09077AD.PDF

Broomfield is only 30 minutes south of me. Wjen I worked for Frontier Airlines i would read documentation about so many hours between over hauls and got to watch a neo from an A320 be inspected. From the pics and eye witnesses accounts several people said they heard a bang tgen black smoke. Then pieces falling. I'd wager a stress fracture in one of the hot side compressors.

It really is a remarkable testament to the skill and calmness of the crew. Not to mention the engineers who designed the aircraft with such a high degree of safety margin built-in, particularly to preserve the integrity of the wing in such an event.

I mean, an engine literally disintegrated, caught on fire and the aircraft landed safely with no injuries. It blows my mind.

I wouldnt want to be in that window seat!

Was it just windmilling and the flame was from remnant fuel, or were they still operating it somehow? If so, why?

I think you're right about it. You can actually see the fan blades moving.

I found video of a United 777 on the ground with the engines spooling. The blades just turn into a blur.

Audio from the crew and ATC, along with ATC radar track.

The change in voices coming from United 328 Heavy is because the Captain and FO are changing roles and responsibilities as the checklists are accomplished and landing performance is analyzed. Lot of work to be done before landing with an engine out.

Thanks for this Astro, really informative. Again, the reason I fly United almost exclusively, the pilots and crews are the best of the best.

It really is a remarkable testament to the skill and calmness of the crew. Not to mention the engineers who designed the aircraft with such a high degree of safety margin built-in, particularly to preserve the integrity of the wing in such an event.

I mean, an engine literally disintegrated, caught on fire and the aircraft landed safely with no injuries. It blows my mind.

I recall a Southwest flight a few years ago where this happened and some debris broke a window and passenger was partially pulled out and eventually died. That was a female pilot and I believe a 737. There was also the Qantas A380 one which grounded those planes for a while.

Modern aircraft (and crews) are pretty amazing. I would have to imagine for a guy like Astro who has seen it all an event like this would be certainly no ordinary day, but also not a life changing event or anything.

There was also the Qantas A380 one which grounded those planes for a while.

Yes, I’ve flown on that very aircraft (VH-OQA). It was the first A380 in the QANTAS fleet.

Currently parked up at Victorville, CA with her 11 siblings for the foreseeable future. Hopefully to return to the skies one day..

I recall a Southwest flight a few years ago where this happened and some debris broke a window and passenger was partially pulled out and eventually died. That was a female pilot and I believe a 737. There was also the Qantas A380 one which grounded those planes for a while.

Modern aircraft (and crews) are pretty amazing. I would have to imagine for a guy like Astro who has seen it all an event like this would be certainly no ordinary day, but also not a life changing event or anything.

WN1380 was at high altitude though. That's got to be really tough with cabin depressurization.

Back