U.S. to Impose Tariff on Tires From China

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah

Quote:
P4 is unsafe regardless of country of origin.

Tell me more.

How many miles have you put on them? How did they do in snow? 3-4 inches of standing water on the freeway?

Going down the freeway in below freezing and well over 100 degree weather.

I've got almost 25k on them so I guess I have some experience. Please tell me yours.

Bill

My bad, I mistook P4 as P6. It should be P6 is unsafe regardless of origin.

Originally Posted By: Jim 5
I'm a free market guy to the core.

My thought behind all of this is that tariffs were not going to be necessary, because the consumer was starting to get wise.

I've done a ton of research on refrigerators and tires lately. I've got a $3500 refrigerator that needs $600 worth of repairs because of carpy off shore parts. Consumer reports says that if you have a refrigerator over 7 years old and a repair costs more than $150, you should just replace it. In the next 2 years I'm told to anticipate the $700 compressor to fail (it's 6.5 years old now). In doing my research, there isn't a refrigerator on the market at any price that isn't made with carpy off shore parts. The life cycle of ~8 years will cost me close to $500/year. Meanwhile, my dad has a 40 year old fridge in his garage that is still running fine.

I'd gladly pay $1000 more for a fully north american made quality product. The manufacturer who figures this out and offers such a product will do well. As more consumers go through this process, the demand for American made quality/value will give enough price signal to rejuvenate the north american manufacturing sector.

I had this same experience with travel trailer tires. 2 blow-outs later I found that I can't buy a US made tire to fit my 2 year old trailer at any price. Even the japanese yokohamas are made in china. The only name brand tire on the market is Goodyear Marathon, which is also made in China and if you google that tire, you'll find nothing but stories of blow-outs.

Again, the Tariff will force the issue, but I think consumers would have gotten there anyway. I'm prepared to pay extra for quality. When I buy a fridge, I want it to last, just like any other big ticket item.

If some north american manufacturers would start manufacturing on the basis of quality not purchase price, I think many consumers would pay extra. It costs less to the consumer in the long run. I hope to see a new era in manufacturing. The winning manufacturer in each product line will be the first to do it, and it will be a good thing.

The best I could do with North American made when I bought my washer was a Speed Queen Commercial. I too got sick and tired of [censored] foreign parts failing after a few years.

Our paper had a George Will column yesterday saying it was a dumb idea and perhaps not within the law.

We all get to share the roads with the people that will stretch their old tires further without the cheap Chinese imports. Remember that the next rain and through the winter.

I too am so tired of being promised CHEAP everything (and cheap comes from China for the most part!)

The fact is that while you may get a amazing "deal" on Chinese products they simply don't last that long or often times have very questionable quality or consistancy.

So is "Cheap" good? Not if the product doesn't perform as expected, is unrealiable, or UNSAFE!!!!!!

This is the huge issue with the US consumer today they have been "conditioned" by the gobalist elite to hunger for the cheapest and sometime in the long run "cheap" will actually heck USUALLY cost you more!!!!!!!!

I have noticed over the past decade or so that you can't even get MODERATELY priced "REASONABLE" quality items. It is either CHEAP throwaway items from China that many times aren't worth the effort to buy..or insanely priced extremely high quaility goods that only a very few can afford!

What happened to the "middle"?

It is going the same way as the "middle class", it doesn't exist anymore in the USA.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back