U.S. to Impose Tariff on Tires From China

Status
Not open for further replies.
U.S. to Impose Tariff on Tires From China

By Peter Whoriskey and Anne Kornblut
Washington Post Staff Writers
Saturday, September 12, 2009

In one of his first major decisions on trade policy, President Obama opted Friday to impose a tariff on tires imported from China, a move that risks angering the nation's second-largest trading partner.

The decision is intended to bolster the ailing U.S. tire industry, in which more than 5,000 jobs have been lost over the past five years, as the volume of Chinese tires in the market has tripled.

But it threatens to upset the strategically important relationship between the United States and China and comes on the eve of the Group of 20 summit in Pittsburgh, where world leaders are expected to discuss cooperation on trade issues.

The tariff will amount to 35 percent the first year, 30 percent the second and 25 percent the third.

While a federal trade panel had recommended even higher levies -- of 55, 45 and 35 percent, respectively -- the decision is considered a victory for the United Steelworkers union, which had filed the trade complaint.

"The president sent the message that we expect others to live by the rules, just as we do," Leo W. Gerard, president of the union, said Friday night.

China's government and its tire manufacturers, as well as tire importers and some U.S. tire manufacturers with plants overseas, had strenuously objected to the measure.

"The president decided to remedy the clear disruption to the U.S. tire industry based on the facts and the law in this case," the White House said in a statement released Friday night.

Obama's decision signals a marked shift from the policy of the Bush administration, which had rejected taking action in each of four similar cases it reviewed.

Congress passed legislation in 2000 that allows the United States to impose tariffs and other trade protections if a surge in Chinese imports damages a U.S. industry.

China agreed to the provision while negotiating to join the World Trade Organization, but until Friday the general "safeguard" provisions of the law had never been invoked.

The tire tariff, which takes effect Sept. 26, represents the first such case under Obama, and his action will be watched closely.

During the campaign he had pledged to "crack down on China" and "work to ensure that China is no longer given a free pass to undermine U.S. workers," as his Web site put it.

But his commitment to that point of view was thrown into doubt during the primaries when a Canadian official said Obama's economic adviser, Austan Goolsbee, had made private assurances that his criticism of the North American Free Trade Agreement was simply political posturing.

Marguerite Trossevin, who represents a coalition of U.S. tire companies that import Chinese tires, said the tariff decision is "very disappointing."

She predicted price increases for U.S. consumers and losses for U.S. tire importers.

"For the U.S. tire distributors and consumers, there's going to be a heavy burden to bear," she said. "It sends the message that special interests will get protection if they ask for it -- regardless of what that means for broader trade policy."

A spokesman for China on trade issues could not be reached Friday night.

But last month, a Chinese deputy commerce minister, Fu Ziying, said at a news conference that officials "hope the U.S. government will refrain from taking action, for the long-term healthy and stable development of U.S.-Chinese relations." Fu added: "The case is neither supported by facts, nor does it have valid legal grounds."

David Spooner, a lawyer representing the Chinese tire industry said the tariff is unlikely to result in more U.S. jobs.

"U.S. tire manufacturers years ago decided to move production of low-end tires offshore," he said. "Frankly, a temporary tariff is not going to get them to change their business plan."

Suppose manufacturers such as Hankook will be losing quite a bit of market share. Despite being a Korean firm, they manufacture quite a few of their tires in China.

The P4s I bought for my Corolla are made in China.

It will be interesting to see how this changes anything. But it will make $$ for the devil.
smirk2.gif

partly blame the greedy corporations . More profit margin . Capitalism at its best .
34.gif

for more than 20 years we have given our jobs away - all in the interest of boosting profits, bonuses, and stock prices. so now we have a HUGE trade deficit, a devalued dollar, huge unemployment.... many people cannot afford to purchase our products, or even health care. I am not in favor of govt healthcare - I am in favor of jobs for Americans.

anyone ever play monopoly? unless you have balanced trade, things dont work well in the long term. And I challenge anyone to dispute the facts on trade imbalance and also the long-term effects of a service economy.

I better stop now. Watch for me in 2012! Tomcat for prez!

While there are many upstanding tire importers, there are also plenty of mom n pop importers that import dangerous, untested tires from China, without regard to the safety or lives of people. One tire mfr in China (Hangzhou Zhongce Rubber Co) began saving money by leaving out a critical part of tire construction - and many tires, and lives, were lost. Why? to save money and increase profits. Remember the day when companies were proud to sell "the best"?!

part of reason for jobs lost is due to the high costs of health insurance provided by the corporations that cuts into their profit . Did wonders for the GM and other AMERICAN car manufacturers . BAILOUT ! CHINA provides its own health care for its people , so more money in the pockets of the businesses moving to there . IT'S COMPROMISE
10.gif
OR DEMISE
spankme2.gif
wink.gif

Last edited:
While it might hurt some, it may help companies like Cooper and Goodyear, which still make many tires here. For these companies, they could just shift more production here if needed....

I was suprised while shopping that many of the tires I was looking at were USA made.

Originally Posted By: smokey1
part of reason for jobs lost is due to the high costs of health insurance provided by the corporations that cuts into their profit . Did wonders for the GM and other AMERICAN car manufacturers . BAILOUT ! CHINA provides its own health care for its people , so more money in the pockets of the businesses moving to there . IT'S COMPROMISE
10.gif
OR DEMISE
spankme2.gif
wink.gif

Last I checked, car companies have plants in Canada, and we've had health care up here for a LONG LONG time.

It is the cost of labour in China. Peanuts.

Originally Posted By: smokey1
partly blame the greedy corporations . More profit margin . Capitalism at its best .
34.gif

Blame us as US consumers who want products cheap. As an economy, we [censored] and complain about how much everything cost. Gas, Food, healthcare??? Look how many people buy their oil at Wal-Mart, it is the cheapest around. We as a people demand low priced goods because we are greedy. Nobody to blame but ourselves.

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
While it might hurt some, it may help companies like Cooper and Goodyear, which still make many tires here. For these companies, they could just shift more production here if needed....

I was surprised while shopping that many of the tires I was looking at were USA made.

The problem is that any given tire manufacture may build tires in China or anywhere else in the world. Goodyear has plants everywhere, and have Chinese tires also. Some may bear brand names, others private labels. Even Japanese names like Toyo build some tires in China.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like a slippery slope to me. First tires, what next? Sure, it'll put back manufacturing back in the US, but the tariffs will also allow the US fatcats to go back to high prices and sloppy manufacturing. Be prepared to take the bad with the good.

price of living goes up while the lower paying jobs at fast food restaurants , convenient stores , WALLY WORLDs , large hardware stores , etc. are replacing higher paying factory jobs that are heading for other countries . Has hit this area hard . Taxes are due to go up and that'll put more of a pinch on the people . Last , if gas prices and heating oil soar again that'll make things come to a screaching halt . Not easy for everyone to afford fuel at these current prices . So , can't blame all the people , all the time .

Many Chinese products are more expensive in China than in Canada. This is illegal dumping under the WTO, but the Canadian government does nothing about it. I'm glad the US has some balls left.

As someone who has dealt with Chinese windshields in a prior job and a racer;

I wouldn't put my life on the line on Chinese tires to save money. They aren't held to the legal standards if something goes wrong. They just close up shop and reopen with another name. Not to mention the tons of R&D that Goodyear, Bridgestone, Michelin etc., put into tires that are safe and perform.

Chinese glass is generally low grade and often had thickness issues and distortion issues.

It is all cost based on something that shouldn't have any compromises.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back