U.S. to Impose Tariff on Tires From China

Status
Not open for further replies.
So you are saying that my Pirelli P4 tires which are made in China are unsafe?

The ones with 85k warranty. Here is the Pirelli web page on them --> P4 info

The PDF on the tire --> P4 pdf

Interesting. Any links you'd like to show me the facts on how unsafe and non-performing they are....

Bill

Originally Posted By: ffracer
As someone who has dealt with Chinese windshields in a prior job and a racer;

Chinese glass is generally low grade and often had thickness issues and distortion issues.

I would never install a FYG or XYG windshield on ANY of my family's cars.

I'll only buy something made in China if there isn't anything else sourced from the US or Europe and if the company with said Chinese product takes appropriate QC measures.

Hmm, I just checked my Buick, and the 205/70-15 sized Pirelli P4's is has were made in Brazil. Likely using Venezuelan oil. Excellent tires, great grip dry or wet.

Originally Posted By: oilyriser
Many Chinese products are more expensive in China than in Canada. This is illegal dumping under the WTO, but the Canadian government does nothing about it. I'm glad the US has some balls left.

Dumping is classified as selling below manufacturing costs.

A Pontiac G8 costs less in the US than in Oz...explained away as "market differences" rather than dumping.

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah

Interesting. Any links you'd like to show me the facts on how unsafe and non-performing they are....

Bill

Bill, I think he meant the no-name cheap Chinese brands not the major makers that just assemble tires in China. In other words, your Pirreli tires are made to high standards being built in China whereas many of these Chinese tire brands do make junk - unsafe junk at that from tires to air filters. Those are who you need to steer clear of.

I don't see the benefit in this. The tire companies will just move production to Korea or somewhere else.

Some of the real low end Chinese tires are such garbage. Take a look around tires-easy.com and look at the lowest end tires.

Brands from "Sunny" "Runway" and "Wanli" are slowly making their way into mom and pop tire stores. They are terrible tires, I wouldn't put them on anything.

Spend maybe 5 bucks more for Kumho and its a much safer tire.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy

Bill

Bill, I think he meant the no-name cheap Chinese brands not the major makers that just assemble tires in China. In other words, your Pirreli tires are made to high standards being built in China whereas many of these Chinese tire brands do make junk - unsafe junk at that from tires to air filters. Those are who you need to steer clear of.

Ok, So now they will be FIFTY FIVE PERCENT more!

That's sure smart and fair.
smirk2.gif

And thank you for proving my point. The Chinese can and DO make safe and excellent products. If the USA can not make something as well as other countries then they need to figure out how to compete.

People need to understand you will not make $70k making tires.

Labor typically amounts to 15-20% of the total cost of a product. Importing Chinese products add transportation costs to get the tires here. Not much of a total difference, but enough to make a handful of execs filthy rich. Our products made here are second to none. I'm glad to see our leaders listen to the unions, who are trying to preserve mfg in this country. It shouldn't be just a matter of safety. It should be a matter of keeping jobs here. It's the people's responsibility not to buy imported products if American ones are available, but our trade policies should put the USA at an advantage, not every other country but us.

Originally Posted By: JustinH
I don't see the benefit in this. The tire companies will just move production to Korea or somewhere else.

Some of the real low end Chinese tires are such garbage. Take a look around tires-easy.com and look at the lowest end tires.

Brands from "Sunny" "Runway" and "Wanli" are slowly making their way into mom and pop tire stores. They are terrible tires, I wouldn't put them on anything.

Spend maybe 5 bucks more for Kumho and its a much safer tire.

Actually, Sunnys are not too bad. Local Belle tire sells them, and they seem to hold up decent. I almost bought a few when money was real tight. But for a few bucks more, I'd rather put a cooper made tire on instead.

The other two ARE that bad. No local tire place around here will carry Runway....

Originally Posted By: GMBoy

Bill

Ok, So now they will be FIFTY FIVE PERCENT more!

That's sure smart and fair.
smirk2.gif

And thank you for proving my point. The Chinese can and DO make safe and excellent products. If the USA can not make something as well as other countries then they need to figure out how to compete.

Safe? Yes. Excellent? No. I have yet to see a chinese tire to really get excited about.

But we DO NOT compete with China on a level playing field. They manipulate their currency so it stays artificially low to the dollar, giving them a HUGE export advantage in prices.

I don't know what the solution is, but I do know we've handed China our asses on a platter, and all we've done in the past is said "thank you sir may I have another".

Did the same with Japan. The difference with China is when we stop buying their stuff, they have a domestic consumer economy drastically larger then what Japan had when their export market collapsed.

Chinese business is not held to the same standards as business in America, so it is not fair competition. They are set free to destroy their future, by poisoning their worker's children, so don't have to pay the costs of containing industrial effluent.

Originally Posted By: cousincletus
but our trade policies should put the USA at an advantage, not every other country but us.

ROTFLMAO

obviously you've not seen any of the "free trade" agreements between Oz and the US.

Shannow - you always write that. All I can say is you guys must have been too many growlers into the evening to be hornswaggled by the USA. Most every other country has quite substantial barriers to US products, while we just parachute their stuff in, gratis!

Stupid stuff, like you'll import our iron ore, but won't take our steel...it's ludicrous to transport "dirt" half way across the Earth, when the finished product requires so much less transportation cost...but the refining is jobs on your country, not ours.

I'd happily stop the tit for tat carpy orange trade 'though.

Isn't this a politcal thread? I'm sure it must be... it's still open, though.

If the rules have changed then I'll open a new thread somewhere about how Canadians are totally baffled by the controversy over US health care reform.

the only Chinese brand tires i have seen that were worth a shat were double coin.

But i wouldn't put them on my truck, and drive cross country with 80,000lbs going 80mph. but i would on a set of Michelins.

China: Two Can Play the Tariff Game

Days after President Obama angered the world's largest exporter by imposing new tariffs on Chinese tires for the next three years, China indicated it would soon follow suit by imposing tariffs on chicken and auto products that originate in the United States. Obama's decision sparked lots of outrage in China, particularly because it was seen as an overtly political move to secure union support for health care. Experts say the Chinese government may have little choice but to retaliate against the United States, particularly at a time when countries around the world are feeling increasing pressure to protect local industries. Although few think this dispute could harm relations between the two countries in the long term, some are cautioning that the conflict could soon get out of control.

Read original story in The Wall Street Journal | Monday, Sept. 14, 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back