Two Thirds Of New Cars Will Be Electric/Hybrids by 2032

Give me a plug in hybrid with a solid 50mile electric range and a peppy ice engine and I’d be totally happy.
Someone needs to come up with a solution to fuel dilution. Need some type of a way to remove fuel from the oil whether it be a catalyst, filter or some other kind of magic to keep the ice engine protected from minimal use. I had a plug in hybrid Pacifica for two weeks as a rental and by plugging up every night only used one gallon of gas in the time I had it.

By including hybrids in the count the odds of getting close are much greater. Hybrids recently started climbing at a much higher rate. Here is a chart to 2023. So, in 8 years, can they get from 16% to 67%. Remember, it’s not total number of vehicles, it’s sales.

4E07EA2E-0C08-4C20-8F07-B15743B68C7F.jpeg

Last edited:
Google "CATL M3P battery"
Yeah, I did and nothing ground breaking that I expected to see, meaning it is still a lithium battery. But yes will allow longer range and because of that maybe use smaller battery. Meaning same range smaller batter or longer range same size battery.
Kind of like a souped up Duracell or Energizer. Though rumor says it will change "UP to" twice as fast.

Reading multiple sources however do not agree the cars will cost less, except maybe a deal they have with Tesla right now for the 15% cost reduction which I am guessing is significant to a manufacturer but not as much to the public, meaning what are we talking $800 or so?

I put the ??? marks for the second part of the reply to me, didnt make sense. Maybe you can expand on that? *LOL*
"What are you waiting for, a Mr. Fusion?"

Trying to figure that one out but I dont need anything, I have gasoline, proven for along time now and much more realistic for most Americans at this point in time. Choice is good as long as there is no interference in that choice.

When you add hybrids to EV’s, the total growth is suddenly doubled.

View attachment 210149
Yeah, Toyota was right, more so in the USA.
The vast majority are not going to give up the convenience of gasoline and a hybrid does that, nor at this point in time can they go all electric except for a non critical car, such as a second car. Just because I say this I am only talking the majority, of course a pure EV will fit just fine in many households .

The USA is divided into several ways. State lines, cheap gasoline vs expensive gasoline etc. States with cheap gasoline are not buying into the EV craze very well. I didn't have to bring politics into it. :D Its totally wrong to assume each state will follow the lead of the expensive gasoline states. California will reach 2/3 of car sales being EV and and Hybrids before 2023, but that might be it.

Give me a plug in hybrid with a solid 50mile electric range and a peppy ice engine and I’d be totally happy.
Someone needs to come up with a solution to fuel dilution. Need some type of a way to remove fuel from the oil whether it be a catalyst, filter or some other kind of magic to keep the ice engine protected from minimal use. I had a plug in hybrid Pacifica for two weeks as a rental and by plugging up every night only used one gallon of gas in the time I had it.
BMW X5 PHEV is absolute hit. I think it is most sought after X5. B58 I6 and I think 40mls range.

The USA is divided into several ways. State lines, cheap gasoline vs expensive gasoline etc. States with cheap gasoline are not buying into the EV craze very well. I didn't have to bring politics into it. :D Its totally wrong to assume each state will follow the lead of the expensive gasoline states. California will reach 2/3 of car sales being EV and and Hybrids before 2023, but that might be it.
CA has imposed this nonsense on itself. Banned pipelines coming into the state, hasn’t granted a water permit to drilling companies in several years(this way they can advertise that they never banned oil permits but it’s not possible to pump without the steam injection), purchase Chinese owned oil from Ecuador & other Central American countries that are deforesting the rain forest & have limited emissions standards. All the while CA oil industry workers are being laid off even though CA oil production has the lowest emissions in the world.

Hell, a few years ago the state convinced the stupid public to vote in a raise in the gas tax as the state has been robbing that money for other uses than roads. State then blatantly stole that new revenue stream & when questioned about it, told the people to make sure the next bill holds the state to not redistributing the funds. They then passed another **** gas tax increase 🤦🏻‍♂️.

I can’t wait until my family obligations are fulfilled & I can leave this place. Unfortunately it’ll be a few more years. Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, the Carolinas, Tennessee, Kentucky, just a heads up to one of these states that a country boy grid control operator will be heading your way in a bit.

I doubt I will ever buy another pure gas car again. Heck, our RX450h F Sport gets the same or better than our beloved Acura TSX.
They both have their place. Hopefully the RX will last as long and be as trouble free as the TSX.

The hybrids first came out to capture the energy normally lost during braking in city use. It was always a noble cause. Now you can throw on the green issues as well as city emissions on on top.

It was more than just that. The idea was also to be able to use a less powerful internal combustion engine that would be tuned for greater efficiency. Then the ICE could be used to charge the battery when needed, plus regenerative braking. But the electric motor could either be driving alone at lower speeds (up to a limit) or just be supplemental to give it a little bit more oomph. I heard that Honda's early hybrid system always had the ICE running.

Not all hybrid models were like that. I heard of some that were designed for better performance.

It was more than just that. The idea was also to be able to use a less powerful internal combustion engine that would be tuned for greater efficiency. Then the ICE could be used to charge the battery when needed, plus regenerative braking. But the electric motor could either be driving alone at lower speeds (up to a limit) or just be supplemental to give it a little bit more oomph. I heard that Honda's early hybrid system always had the ICE running.

Not all hybrid models were like that. I heard of some that were designed for better performance.
E-Ray

CA has imposed this nonsense on itself. Banned pipelines coming into the state, hasn’t granted a water permit to drilling companies in several years(this way they can advertise that they never banned oil permits but it’s not possible to pump without the steam injection), purchase Chinese owned oil from Ecuador & other Central American countries that are deforesting the rain forest & have limited emissions standards. All the while CA oil industry workers are being laid off even though CA oil production has the lowest emissions in the world.

Hell, a few years ago the state convinced the stupid public to vote in a raise in the gas tax as the state has been robbing that money for other uses than roads. State then blatantly stole that new revenue stream & when questioned about it, told the people to make sure the next bill holds the state to not redistributing the funds. They then passed another **** gas tax increase 🤦🏻‍♂️.

I can’t wait until my family obligations are fulfilled & I can leave this place. Unfortunately it’ll be a few more years. Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, the Carolinas, Tennessee, Kentucky, just a heads up to one of these states that a country boy grid control operator will be heading your way in a bit.
Completely unrelated to the content of your comment but I headed south and drove through Montana about 15 years ago and also took the train through more recently - what a beautiful state! I’d love to live there…

The goalpost will be reset a few more times on this one, sorry EV folks.
I can remember some folks just a handful of years ago that this would without a doubt happen by 2025.

I was taught in school that that the oceans would have risen to the point by 2020ish that Florida would just be a memory and that most coastlines would be moved in by several miles. I was also taught in school about the Little Ice Age and how the earth was still coming out of the tail end of it. When was the last time anyone heard mention of that?

By including hybrids in the count the odds of getting close are much greater. Hybrids recently started climbing at a much higher rate. Here is a chart to 2023. So, in 8 years, can they get from 16% to 67%. Remember, it’s not total number of vehicles, it’s sales.

View attachment 210148
The easiest way to “tip the scales” is to keep driving the initial and operating costs of ICE vehicles ever higher via additional regulations and penalties; larger vehicles and increased mandatory options and gadgets, while maintaining and even increasing subsidies on EVs and hybrids. That’s the only way to influence the overall sales number to hit 2/3 in any “reasonable” time. The overall effect will be fewer vehicles sold, yet will still not likely meet the arbitrary targets. 2 out of every 3 people in the market for new cars simply don’t want the increased complexity and inconvenience inherent in PHEV/EV vehicles.

Choice must evaporate for the proposed plan to be “successful”.

Yes, foremost is the Atkinson cycle engine design which purposely pulls back on HP in favour of efficiency.

Back