Two Bottles of M1 0W40 Oil, Which One Is Not Right?

Newbie here.

Brought two bottles of Mobil 1 FS 0W40 oil fron the same local seller. I noticed that they are showing different colors from the outside. See the picture below, the upper part of the left bottle is showing orange-ish color, and the right bottle is a bit darker.

Both of them are sealed, I don't want to open it, just in case if one bottle is not right, and I need to return/exchange it.

My question are, which one is ok to use? And why are they showing different colors? Is there any expiration date on the oil?

Thanks!

Capture.JPG

No one is going to be able to settle this for you.
My opinion is that concerns about counterfeit product is overblown in the 1st world.
Looks like a stain or discoloration to the plastic bottle.
Time to make your own decision.

I'd go with the lighter colored one being right, but either would probably be OK to run. Maybe just an additive change. As far as oil having an expiration date, I'm using 15-25 year old oil in all my vehicles and they don't know the difference in it and what was bottled yesterday. I haven't used Valvoline in years but I remember back in the '80's it had a reddish cast to it.

The bottle on the left looks like it has a leak or something leaked on it. Either way I agree with the level of oil in the bottle on the right being a bigger concern.

Every castrol bottle I get is discolored, wrong volume, and so fourth, do I worry? No, if it's sealed then i dont think anything is wrong with it. The additives could be suspended from the base oil, who knows.

Shake them reaaal good and then see, even then I wouldn't care about it, the seal is still on it, right?

Maybe the see through clear plastic window is a little different (chemical composition & thickness) and with the angle of light, etc. oil appears to have different color.

btw, I was at Wal-Mart few days ago and M1 FS Euro 0W40 was $22.37 (5 qt. jug) so I got one even though I was not planning on buying any oil and still haven't used my Castrol Euro 0W40. Maybe I am slowly turning into polymer/plastic man. :)

OP,

I just checked my M1 FS 0W40 and the oil level is somewhere between (halfway) your pictures. Maybe a little more than halfway but definitely less than your left picture. Basically volume wise, sum of your two jugs divided by two maybe equal to my level. lol

Not sure if your jugs are on level ground or not and the jug is not wide in the handle area so the variance is more noticeable. They could all be within spec.

Shake both jugs and let them settle and see if you notice any color diff.

Last edited:
unless you bought at Wallys + it was not sealed i would return if possible. you hear stories about used oil in a new container + i experienced that at wallys where i buy most oil except RedLine of course, so i always check for a seal that they all dont have or a cap with a broken "cap seal". wallys rarely looks at any returns my used oil included!!

Back