Truck recommendation help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would look for a slightly used 2010 F150 to save money on the payments. A lot less $$$ than a 2013. You never know when the job will go away and then you are stuck with the payments. With a new truck, if the job goes away, you will be stuck with the depreciation as well and you will be upside down.

1100 a month allowance AND the gas paid for? I'd be in a 2014 King Ranch F150 5.0 or 6.2l if they still sell it.

At least in Utah; F150's hold value very well. Assuming of course you haggled a good deal on the new purchase.

With that kind of allowance i would buy brand new and loaded. Won't be hard to sell it later if need be. I'd look at a 2013 tundra as well, a lot of value there.

This sounds like a great opportunity to get into a nice professional looking truck at no cost. Used is probably not worth considering.

If he can write it off lease something and pocket the difference. $500 a month should get him into something nice, and he can pocket the difference.

Oh and I'd get a Ford Raptor.

Last edited:
If the Tundra has been an excellent truck while others around it have had issues why are you thinking so hard about replacing it with something else? I'd get another Tundra, just don't equip it so lavishly that it uses the entire allowance.

Originally Posted By: Tuffy1760
well nobody wants to hear my 2 cents but here goes... 1/2 ton trucks a waste... i got about 200,000 miles towing a bassboat the last 20+ years... unless you got got big engine and gears a waste and possibily unsafe... The phrase properly equipped very important... I currently tow with a 2000 f 150 5.4... (4:10 gears I installed ) it works but right now considering $$$ in my life, only show in town... If I got back on the trail again, no 1/2 ton for me... ( I'd look hard at a full size van too... very hard...)
fuel economy, last thing you look at... If you think that is important, get a mini truck...
ecoboost... better put alot of miles on it to get your money back... guys rave about it, but they gotta, they blew the money on it... makes for great commercials though during football... since we all pull boulders all the time...
comfort and safety... all brands and makes the same... depends on the brand and trim level you wanna roll with...
honestly, this time of year, you could get a 3/4 ton truck, set up for that horse trailer, for a great deal left over...
with a 30k limit, I'd look for a 3/4 ton, 2wd,(never 4wd for me again, waste of money for me) moderate trim level, big engine, 4;10 gears... great time to hit every dealer possible and see what they got... test ride everything... I've seen a few 3/4 and 1 ton trucks here in NY just crazy cheap in the fall...
A 1/2 ton may get by hauling that horse trailer, but geez, make sure you are safe... remember a 1000# safety margin when looking at tow ratings... also the stuff hauling in truck adds to your GVW... adds up qwik... don't let a salesman snow ya... most don't know poo about towning... just about moving stuff off the lot... you wanna learn about towing... go find an older couple hauling a big camper... they'll teach ya...

You can't compare a 14 year old half ton to a modern half ton. 2500 pounds is nothing, any truck will pull it.

The problem with the big trucks is fuel mileage, you go from reasonable to horrible. Gas 3/4-1 tons only get 10-14 I don't care how they are driven. If you drive 20k a year that add's up fast at $4 a gallon. So you are paying a big premium for the extra vehicle. I wouldn't buy one unless I really needed what they offer.

Last edited:
My coworker has a Silverado 2500, gets about 16 if he is careful. 8 while towing with his foot in it. He accepts the mpg, for what it is; but wonders about trading down to a 1500, since his 2500 is rated for only 12k and the 1500's are now over 10k. I keep telling him that it's a massive difference, his 2500 is going to yank his 8k travel trailer much better than a 1500 can. I don't think he'll make the switch any time soon.

Regardless, my boss has a 1500 and I think he gets 20 or 20 plus despite his right foot, vs this 2500 being babied to get 16.

Originally Posted By: gofast182
If the Tundra has been an excellent truck while others around it have had issues why are you thinking so hard about replacing it with something else?

You haven't been paying attention...
31.gif

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
If the Tundra has been an excellent truck while others around it have had issues why are you thinking so hard about replacing it with something else?

You haven't been paying attention...
31.gif

Evidently I missed something? It makes sense to me.
21.gif

21.gif

From earlier in the thread:

Originally Posted By: RN89
Nope. Absolutely nothing wrong with the Tundra. It's been a great truck for him. My dad is the plant manager, and one of the other employee's Chevy truck dropped a transmission so what the corporate proposed to my dad was that they give the "other guy" my dad's Tundra, and essential buy him a new "personal" truck.

If he had good luck with his current Tundra and likes that truck, why not get a new Tundra? Although if he does, I wouldn't even look at the 4.6L. The 5.7L is a powerhouse in comparison and the real world fuel economy isn't much different. If he is not concerned about the latest and greatest, he could probably make a good deal on a 2013 Tundra now that the 2014's are out. I know our Toyota dealer is offering decent discounts on the 2013's.

So to address the concern about the company drying up and the funds diminishing--chances are in all of their employees favor that this will not happen. The company has been in business for 54 years and is a multimillion dollar corporation. My dad is in high regard there because he has been with them for 24 years and is a very loyal,intelligent man.

On another note; his boss explained it to him as basically giving away his truck, but giving him a ($1100) a month raise. He told my dad, "you could walk to work and keep the money if that makes you happy" haha. So that is really not an issue. Buying a truck with a payment of $500/mo and pocketing the additional $600 is completely acceptable to corporate, according to my dad.

I sent my dad a few emails with a few different trucks attached. He likes the look of the new Chevy, but doesn't like buying first MY. Like someone else mentioned, he is also going to take a look at the leftover 2013's.

He and my mom will probably go test drive across the spectrum this coming Saturday. My grandparents just bought a 13' Ram with a Hemi, so he told me he is going to go drive theirs today just to see if he likes it.

He does like his Tundra, so getting another one is not out of the question. My dad isnt a real picky guy, but he does want something that is of quality and will last him a long time while satisfying his needs.

Thanks for all of your inputs as I have read every post! I will take into consideration all of your recommendations and pass them on to him!

I'll be updating soon! Thanks again!

Originally Posted By: supton
21.gif

Nope. Absolutely nothing wrong with the Tundra. It's been a great truck for him. My dad is the plant manager, and one of the other employee's Chevy truck dropped a transmission so what the corporate proposed to my dad was that they give the "other guy" my dad's Tundra, and essential buy him a new "personal" truck.

Yessss. So tell me why it wouldn't make perfect sense to get another Tundra.

21.gif

Yessss. So tell me why it wouldn't make perfect sense to get another Tundra.

Sorry, I misread your intent, thought you were wondering why he did not elect to keep the exact Tundra he has.

As for why to not get another Tundra:

-thin paint
-no auto up/down on windows
-no part time 4x4 setting
-no mechanical LSD, only electronic (can wear brakes faster)
-heavy
-"only" a six speed auto
-4.6 isn't that great, the 5.7 isn't class leading either
-batteries are known to leak
-low mpg
-low payload rating
-steering rack failures
-diff failures
-water pump failures
-bearing failures (wheel bearing)
-bumpers with rust issues
-historic Toyota rust issues
-dated dash layout (looking at old not 2014 model)

Last edited:
Tundra crew cab 2wd a great tow vehicle... top of the 1/2 tons... properly equipped... most horse people do not use horse hauler as a daily driver...
I am in the opposite position... USPS has cut my pay 700$ a month... so boat and truck must go...
get out and test ride everything... If it was me... I'd look for 2 vehicles... A regular cab 3/4 ton... and a small car for daily driver... The horse and farm guys around here seem to follow that rule... Shorter reg cab very nice for parking and backing... Gas is near 4$ a gallon.
Horse hauling a big deal... very big live animals... Safety first...

As for why to not get another Tundra:

-thin paint
-no auto up/down on windows
-no part time 4x4 setting
-no mechanical LSD, only electronic (can wear brakes faster)
-heavy
-"only" a six speed auto
-4.6 isn't that great, the 5.7 isn't class leading either
-batteries are known to leak
-low mpg
-low payload rating
-steering rack failures
-diff failures
-water pump failures
-bearing failures (wheel bearing)
-bumpers with rust issues
-historic Toyota rust issues
-dated dash layout (looking at old not 2014 model)

Yet with all these "issues" it still leads the fullsize trucks with the best reliability record according to True Delta data.

I don't drive one but i think the tundra 4.6 is pretty good, especially for someone wanting to have a long ownership of the truck. The 4.6 is a destroked 5.7. (3.27" stroke on the 4.6 and 4.02" for the 5.7)

That is a huge difference in piston speed and piston travel per revolution. I think that would mean a lot more miles out of the engine. Combine that with the gas savings, initial discounted engine price, and its a GREAT engine. The block and head were designed to handle the 5.7L's heat and pressure, yet it only needs to handle 4.6 liters.

Is only 327 ft lb of torque a problem? In the real world, for most people looking at half tons, no. I get by fine with 220lb ft in my T100.

5.7 came out in 2007, it was the top dog then and nothing to scoff at now. Sure toyota will have something better eventually.

Under the OP's circumstances, i would go all out and get exactly what i wanted and not worry one bit about the cost. Life is short, have the best if you have the chance.

For me personally, a 2013 4.6 tundra deal would be sweet if i needed a new truck. I think the 2014 is ugly, but a cheap '13 would be awesome.

So my parents signed papers today on a 2013 Tundra Tx Edition! It has 10k miles on it and has the 4.6. It's the same engine that was in his previous 'company' Tundra, which gets the small towing job done just fine.

The truck is very nice. It came with running boards and a Viper alarm system...which my dad hates and wants to get removed asap. I told him to pass that sucker down to me! haha.

Thanks for all of your recommendations and help. My dad will keep this truck for a long time so here's to years of reliable ownership!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back