TRC 5w30, 19,750 miles, '02 Chevy Impala, 3.8L

Status
Not open for further replies.
This vehicle belongs to a customer of mine, it is a 2002 Impala with well over 200k on it. This engine was sourced from a local junkyard, and installed last year. The engine had ~50k on it when it was installed, this oil was installed immediately after the engine swap. No make up oil was required during the 19,750 mile run, and the same filter was in service throughout the run. The average drive for this vehicle is about 60 minutes on two lane country roads.

Note: Since this UOA sample was submitted, the intake gaskets were replaced due to visible external leaks.

Silicon: 14
Potassium: 30
Sodium: 51
Fuel: Glycol: Neg.
Water: Soot: 0%
Sulfation: 13
Nitration: 12

Boron: 12
Barium: 0
Calcium: 3689
Magnesium: 18
Molybdenum: 22
Sodium: 51
Phosphorus: 717
Sulfur: 2907
Zinc: 851
Visc @ 100C: 10.3
TBN: 10.5

Iron: 35
Nickel: 0
Chromium: 2.7
Titanium: 0.9
Copper: 21
Aluminum: 5
Tin: 0
Lead: 3.9
Silver: 0

Analysis by Wearcheck.

Originally Posted By: 2003f7
TRC 5w30=? what oil?

Sorry. Texas Refinery Corp. Pro-Spec Multi-Viscosity 5w30.

Originally Posted By: tig1
Metals look good, but no way 10.5 TBN.

The product specification sheet for this engine oil lists a starting TBN of 15 Plus. Based upon my other UOA's with their products, I have no reason to doubt the lab.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
Why would you think retention like that would not be possible?

I don't know the answere to that, but have seen enough UOA to not believe this. All i can say is Amsoil Who if this is true. This would be the beat all oil that nobody has really heard of. Seems odd to me.

Originally Posted By: REDDOG
Rob Roy,

You don't happen to have a VOA for this oil, do you?

Sorry, I do not. If a send in a VOA at a later date I will share it.

Thanks, that would be most interesting. It certainly performed well here and looked as though it could go far longer. I had not heard of it prior to this post.

Originally Posted By: lonestar
Guys, this company has oils they say are rated 100K miles or 600 hours.

Who told you that? I have not seen that recommendation on any of their product labeling or literature. Extended drain intervals are normally based on oil analysis.

I have a REALLY hard time believing these results - almost 20k miles, with a coolant leak, and viscosity is dead stable, lead is single digits, AND TBN is still 10.5???

I'm aware that the starting TBN is 15, BUT, even 13.2 TBN Amsoil SSO wouldn't have a TBN over 5 after this many miles - look at the reports.

If this report IS for real, where the heck do you get this stuff?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back