Toys you had as a kid and that you kept

1971 Vertibird... (gave it away to a neighbor kid 2021)

Vertibird1.JPG

1958 Erector Set...
ErectorSet1.JPG

Last edited:
I still have my pre-war Erector Set which was handed down to me by my uncle. It's stored at my sister's house in NYC along with a few other items from my childhood. The next time I visit NY I may bring the Erector Set back with me.

I still have my train set from when I was 5 years old but we're inbetween houses in a rental so it's in storage at the moment, can't take pics.

I think the three rail Lionel were G gauge at 1-3/4" approx 1:24th scale
Lionel was/is O GAUGE, or 1.25" rail spacing.

I say gauge because with a few exceptions, up until about 20 years ago, "scale" was a vague suggestion. Lionel would sometimes make some major dimensions about 1:48(O-scale) but often other dimensions were compressed.

There was a practical reason for that. Many sets shipped with track that had curves nominally labeled as 27" in diameter(O-27), but in actuality around 25.5" center-to-center. The true-to-scale Lionel 700E Hudson steam locomotive from the 1930s needed 6' diameter(center-to-center) curves to actually and stay on the track, and that's with a few tricks to allow it to navigate tighter turns(like blind, or flangeless, center drivers).

About 20 years ago, thanks to some competition from other companies, Lionel really got serious about making true-to-scale and fairly detailed models in some of their high end offerings. Needless to say, they weren't targeting kids setting up their trains on the floor with those.

Around that same time, there was another company making O-gauge products that made a handful of offerings built to 1:64 scale(S-scale). It was an interesting idea and the few they built could navigate fairly tight turns, but I always thought they looked kind of odd.

And yes I still have my Lionel trains. As a teenager I got pretty seriously into collecting 1950s ones(anything modern was out of my reach).

I loved slot car sets! I'd forgotten about those. I had one that was spotless, and you could make the cars switch lanes on the track.
I meant to say “slotless”. It had a tiny steering wheel on the hand control, where you could make the car change lanes while you were racing. I can’t remember the name of it, this would’ve been during the mid 70s.

I have a Lionel "O" steam engine trainset in a box in the basement that I've had since I was 5. It hasn't run in a while, but it was the kind that you put the fluid into the smoke stack and it would puff smoke as it went around. I've been meaning to clean up the tracks and get it going again. I also have some HO scale trains and track.

I still have most of my toy 1/64 trucks and farm equipment I believe. Probably a few boxes worth. Plus I’ll always keep all my HO train stuff. Hopefully I can build a proper track/display someday.

I had the Corgi Batmobile, and Bat boat on a trailer, and also a Corgi Jaguar....wonder if they're in a landfill today, or, someone actually has it, as my mom always threw these things away thinking they are worthless and take up space...lol

The toys I still have from my childhood are the few that survived abuse from my younger brother. Most of my toys mother kept long after I moved out of her house. The things I wish she kept were my Major Matt Mason stuff:
  • Space Crawler
  • Uni-Tread (had a cool two-speed auto transmission)
  • Moon Base
  • Space Bubble

The toys I still have from my childhood are the few that survived abuse from my younger brother. Most of my toys mother kept long after I moved out of her house. The things I wish she kept were my Major Matt Mason stuff:
  • Space Crawler
  • Uni-Tread (had a cool two-speed auto transmission)
  • Moon Base
  • Space Bubble
Anyone recall - Johnny West? We had (5) boys in the house all raised on cowboy movies and shows..... A few younger brothers still have theirs.
621d10bec6bd7e7ced8f2c18789e0954.jpg

I meant to say “slotless”. It had a tiny steering wheel on the hand control, where you could make the car change lanes while you were racing. I can’t remember the name of it, this would’ve been during the mid 70s.
Neighbors house had a giant attic. Their dad layed out plywood floors and was going to add an extra bedroom up there. He decided not. Then he turned it into a man cave. He installed a massive electric train set with an HO LeMans style race track that criss crossed the train track at several
spots. We would be racing the cars and have the electric train running down the other tracks at the same time. We spent hours up there. Years later I set up a very similar type thing (smaller scale) in my two son's toy room. I had it on an 8'x4' sheet of plywood so they could slip it underneath the bed when not in use.

A couple I saved. A Wilson football helmet. A hot wheels charger , they had a few electric cars that would run 10 seconds or so, don't have the cars.
A structo cement mixer, trough broke off, most that I have seen also are missing this. Motor still roars when you push it and the drum turns also.
A structo tow truck, the front wheels turn as you press on the cab.
IMG_20221218_120212941.jpg
IMG_20221218_120224481_HDR.jpg
IMG_20221218_120141774.jpg
IMG_20221218_120255397_HDR.jpg
IMG_20221218_120312540_HDR.jpg
IMG_20221218_120318423_HDR.jpg
IMG_20221218_121311598_HDR.jpg
IMG_20221218_120328126.jpg
IMG_20221218_120402260_HDR.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20221218_120231489_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20221218_120231489_HDR.jpg