Toys you had as a kid and that you kept

Were those large trains called "HO Scale"? I can't remember. There were also those smaller scale electric sets too. I had one of those and destroyed it!
G-scale is 1/22.5
O scale is 1/48
S scale is 1/64
H0 is 1/87 and is the most popular train scale worldwide
N-scale is 1/160
Z scale is 1/220
T scale 1/450 !!!

Last edited:
I just pulled this out of an old box in my garage. That must be from when I got into aging and distressing models, chipping the paint, dry brushing, and dusting with real dirt before locking it all in with hairspray. I was inspired by Runaway Train which me and my buddy I snuck into at barely age 10. That movie was rated R and gave me both, nightmares and the thrilling desire to ride any train. :geek:

Was that a Wilesco? Those things were cool. They ran on ESBIT tablets. They even made a functional steam roller. I just checked. They are still available. Maybe still in production, maybe NOS. Almost $800 brand-new.
Yes, but this was made before Esbit tabs, this one has a burner with a screen on top you fill with denatured alcohol. I have the showmans wagon, Old Smokey roller, the traktor and a a few others.

Revell Visible V8 and visible Wankel..... whatever you do, don't use a big rubber band and spin these off your dad's bench grinder motor. Its sounds and looks cool for 5-6 seconds before things get really ugly. Still have the remnants in a box.

About three dozen Cox and Testors control line planes

U-Fly It Airplane

Radio Shack 150-in-one Kit

Parks water rockets......you put an ounce or so of water in the rocket, pump it up with the hand air pump and launch them. You could weaponize those things against the neighborhood bully in a dang hurry...not that I would know.

Still have all of these in various boxes the basement. Wife tried to get me to part with some or all of it when we moved into our current house. Nope.

toys.jpg

Cub Scouts Pinewood derby that my Dad carved. 1/24 scale slot cars I constructed from brass, wound the electric motors. Unfortunately most childhood keepsakes are gone by family cleanouts when I was off to college.

Wife and I did NOT dispose of our children's possessions. They are now living independently and we deliver stuff when we visit.

I didn't have many toys growing up. I spent a lot of time on my grandparents farm. I got a pair of gloves, a straw hat and a Barlow pocket knife about once a year. I loved pocket knives and have given them to my grandchildren. I do still have my boy scout hatchet, which I won selling peanut brittle, and my .22, which I bought with money saved from doing my chores. I got them when I was 10 years old.
20220728_080335.jpg
20190215_080920.jpg

Revell Visible V8 and visible Wankel..... whatever you do, don't use a big rubber band and spin these off your dad's bench grinder motor. Its sounds and looks cool for 5-6 seconds before things get really ugly. Still have the remnants in a box.

About three dozen Cox and Testors control line planes

U-Fly It Airplane

Radio Shack 150-in-one Kit

Parks water rockets......you put an ounce or so of water in the rocket, pump it up with the hand air pump and launch them. You could weaponize those things against the neighborhood bully in a dang hurry...not that I would know.

Still have all of these in various boxes the basement. Wife tried to get me to part with some or all of it when we moved into our current house. Nope.

View attachment 110000
i had both of those and loved them...possibly the root of my airplane problem:D

Had one of these "cannons" in the mid sixties before it was pulled from the market. It was a blast = especially if you put dirt and gravel in it!
Also enjoyed "practice" bow and arrow sets. Neighborhood mailboxs enede up with a lot of holes in them.

One summer I think I got a brain concussion from a Mr. Wiggle gone mad.

Wham-O ! had some crazy stuff!

Water rockets were fun too!

Easy to spot a young Kurt Russel in this ad!

Tonka trucks and an old metal electric train set both still function fine and it's been 35yrs and my kids can still play with them

Sadly, when my parents and I were cleaning out the attic of the house I grew up in before they moved 20+ years ago, I threw away all of my classic toys from the 70's and early 80's. Star Wars/Battlestar Galactica/Buck Rogers/GI Joe figures and vehicles, Estes rockets, Hot Wheels and Matchbox cars, Stomper 4x4s, some HO scale trains, lots of plastic models, etc. I try not to think about what I could have gotten from eBay for this stuff but nothing I can do about it now.

I can still remember what those rubber Stomper tires smelled like! :)

Back