Toys you had as a kid and that you kept

@Pablo made me curious and I took the model apart for the first time in 35 years or so. The axles have styrene sleeves, which means the original axles were much thicker than the original axle. This would have caused wear on the sleeves that were rubbing against the suspension wires but this didn't matter because at the time I was no longer playing with toy cars. I had begun collecting and modifying scale models. As you can see, I replaced the rivet that held the undercarriage on with a threaded brass stud, washer, and nut. My dad was still a model railroader and had all the small tools and supplies that I could use for my projects.

The rear axle should be trimmed a bit or I could add spacers but I can't be bothered.

Last edited:
The VV T1 camper was made by Matchbox (Lesney) in England and is about 1/72 scale. It was among my favorite Matchbox models. Two of the doors open and the camper interior is detailed. I got most of my MB toy cars from an older cousin.

The Snow Trac made by Matchbox was my all-time favorite small toy vehicle when I was a kid. t was made by Lesney in England in 1/72 scale. The urethane rubber tracks are replacement tracks because I wore the original rubber tracks out. I have been on a real Snow Trac once and the ride was memorable, That thing had a steering wheel and drove like a car. If you can name a famous movie in which you can see a Snowtrac you got my respect for knowing your movies well.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snow_Trac
AB Westeråsmaskiner Snow Trac with VW boxer engine

I was going through this thread hoping to see AFX slot cars, 1977ish. I had a bunch of the specialty fast ones. Anyone remember what made them faster, was it better more powerful magnet, or was it increased motor size? Or both?

I was going through this thread hoping to see AFX slot cars, 1977ish. I had a bunch of the specialty fast ones. Anyone remember what made them faster, was it better more powerful magnet, or was it increased motor size? Or both?
I had a Carrera slot race track and vehicles for a few years. Those cars were fast without mods. I remember losing a couple of controllers due to overheating, I didn't keep that set.

Last edited:
I had a bloody plastic foot when I was a kid.
Need a matching hand ... 😄

1703714016669.jpg

Maybe a screenshot helps. If I hadn't obscured the surroundings this would be too easy.

No one? A Snow Trac is seen in Kubrick's The Shining. The hotel manager gives The Torrances a tour of the Overlook Hotel and they walk past the Snow Trac. The Snow Trac is later sabotaged by Jack to prevent his wife and son from escaping.

My old Land Rover Forward Control fire truck and Ford Corsair, still with the boat. Both are Matchbox models made by Lesney in roughly 1/72 scale. I got those along with most of my older Matchbox cars from my older cousin.

Matchbox models made by Lesney in England in ca 1/76 or a bit bigger,

Am green Mercury Cougar with finger steering and a red Pontiac Grand Prix Sports Coupé, Saggy door on the GP.

A red Rolls Royse Silver Shadow and a gold BMC 1800 Pininfarina. I vaguely remember adding the white walls at age 10 or so. I used a circle cutter and adhesive white plastic foil. They still look good! I still have great close-up vision but I'm not sure if I can still do that sort of thing.

Bins of Lego. 11yr old daughter rummages through them to build things
There is still a huge box with Lego here. When I was little we didn;t have many fancy ones. Mostly bricks, some slanted pieces, and clear pieces. Over the years they came out with more complex shapes. I fished these three out of my son's Lego box but they do look like mine. They got all mixed together almost 20 years ago. I remember stepping on them barefoot in the dark. Ouch!

Last edited:
Just pulled this out of the old toys bin today…

IMG_4080.jpeg
IMG_4081.jpeg

I think my Grandparents brought this back from a trip to Germany back when. I think this is the starting point of my “bug”.

Back