Toyota’s and Michelin’s

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: BearZDefect
I believe vehicles built in Japan were better years ago, like before the turn of the century, but not anymore. Both American and Japanese plants give us some problematic products. Last vehicle purchases I decided to try Toyota for the first time in my life. Our 2013 Camry (made in Kentucky) has proven more solid than the 2015 Prius (made in Japan). The Prius is such a rattle trap, probably due to all that vibration coming through from the engine compartment. I thought the Toyota plants in Japan would care about the impression the Prius makes, but apparently not!

I'm confused, do you own a Camry or a Prius or both?
Every regular Prius that I have ever driven has been as solid as a rock with no unusual engine/drivetrain vibrations. Now, I did drive a Prius C (an entirely different car) that was tinny, noisy, and buzzy, just like it's Yaris cousin.

Last edited:
We have both a 2013 Camry (non-hybrid) and a 2015 Prius.
I would consider a hybrid again, but not a Prius. Perhaps a Camry Hybrid.
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: wag123
Originally Posted By: CKN
The Tundra is a truck for Toyota brand loyalists. Nothing more. It gives them an offering for someone who already owns another Toyota vehicle (generally) and wants/needs a truck, and wishes to stay with the brand.
Not spending money for a substantial update on their trucks in 10 years- and the excuse they don't want to move away from "stout engineering" is really stretching it.
There will be no (substantial) updates because they can't compete (in this segment)-for whatever reasons.

I guess that is why they are planning to introduce a ground-up redesigned 4th generation Tundra next year.
A full hybrid, a 6-cyl turbo-diesel, an HD 8-speed automatic, a new high performance DOHC aluminum 5.3L V/8 engine, upgraded/improved DOHC aluminum 4.0L V/6, 4.6L V/8, and 5.7L V/8 engines, and an optional factory lift w/35" tires will reportedly all be available. That will give the Tundra 5 different engine options plus a full hybrid, FAR more choices than any of their competitors.
Reportedly, 3/4 ton and 1 ton versions with a strong/stout Isuzu engineered turbo-diesel V/8 engine option will also be available.

Toyota has 261 BILLION in cash reserves. They can afford to throw money away in a segment they will never be able to compete in.

Originally Posted By: CKN
Toyota has 261 BILLION in cash reserves. They can afford to throw money away in a segment they will never be able to compete in.

Never say never. Toyota is a persistent and ruthless competitor with deep pockets and massive resources. It may take some time, but they WILL be competitive in the truck business at some point down the road. Mark my words.
In the late 1970's, I warned some friends who worked for a now defunct american car manufacturer about this very thing, in almost those exact same words.
At the rate that they are expanding their dealer network, it won't be too many years down the road before they will have dealers located right alongside the domestic brand dealers in every corner of the country. Once they achieve this, they will sell LOTS of trucks. Ford and GM know that Toyota is coming after them, and you can be sure that they are nervous about it.

Last edited:

Reportedly, 3/4 ton and 1 ton versions with a strong/stout Isuzu engineered turbo-diesel V/8 engine option will also be available.

I hope they'd use their own design. I'd rather see them use their own Hino J08E, tuned for pickup truck duty. Which means making substantially more power than it's tuned for in it's current commercial medium duty truck role.

If they made a 1-ton Dually that could compete with the current leaders Ford and RAM in towing capacity, I'd definitely consider one.

Originally Posted By: 02SE

I hope they'd use their own design. I'd rather see them use their own Hino J08E, tuned for pickup truck duty. Which means making substantially more power than it's tuned for in it's current commercial medium duty truck role.

If they made a 1-ton Dually that could compete with the current leaders Ford and RAM in towing capacity, I'd definitely consider one.

They were going to bring out 3/4 ton and 1 ton pickups in 2010, developmental work was nearly complete, but they shelved the plan because of the crash of 2008. At the time, Isuzu was developing a suitable turbo-diesel engine for the truck (Toyota holds a partial ownership of Isuzu). Toyota showed a prototype Tundra dually at SEMA in 2007, it had the Hino 8L 6-cyl turbo-diesel in it. https://www.thoughtco.com/thmb/9Bhusv75_p0G1AqVi8hGkgPIynE=/768x0/filters:no_upscale():max_bytes(150000):strip_icc():format(webp)/diesel1-56a98eca3df78cf772a841e8.jpg

OP here. Got my Tundra back yesterday. It was a defective oil pressure sending unit that was causing the leaking and was also reading incorrectly. Hopefully that will be the extent of problems under the warranty period.

It is curious to me why they don’t sell more Tundras, but I agree with the possible reasons that people have mentioned here like platform age, fuel mileage, dealer network, social stigma.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back