Toyota spin on oil filter conversion

What’s really a pain on my truck is the height of the drain plug. I get oil every where when trying to drain it as it spews out a few feet from the plug. An oil extractor doesn’t work on this pan design.
I have never serviced a newer Tundra, but for troublesome drain plugs I fab up a piece of aluminum foil or cardboard to direct the flow.
Sorry about the extractor fail; I am using mine more and more. Just too easy.

Now for bad designs, all those Honda engines with the oil filter in the back... Sheesh. 1st gen TSX with the mighty K24 are the worst.

Now I'm confused.
Did you know the kind we're now forced to call "spin-on" for clarity were originally called "cartridges"? That was logical, considering the general sense of the word. The original idea was to replace the housing, element, valving, and gasket all at once in a single cartridge to make filter changes idiot-proof. Over 60 years later, we still have idiots.

I don't see a reason to change. 10 years on one car, 8 on another. I think it works ok. I could
Had thought about Fumoto, and perhaps it’s time I bit the bullet. I have a nice Gold Plug magnetic drain plug on there.
Now you mention it... last time I changed on my Tundra I had oil all over the place, and it baffled me--as I had changed it like 7 times already. Come to think of it, the drain pan was was in my dirt driveway, and much closer than what it is now in my garage! [Due to the crown in the dirt.] Thanks for the tip. Next time I change it, I might just put boards under the drain pan, so as to raise it up.

Screenshot_2021-04-20-17-49-39-1.jpg

Screenshot_2021-04-20-17-50-14-1.jpg

The spin on filter has the adbv and bypass valve. Where are they in the cartridge adapter? Or does it have nothing?

The spin on filter has the adbv and bypass valve. Where are they in the cartridge adapter? Or does it have nothing?
There's a spring in the cannister. The center tube is spring loaded. I've never looked further than that.

If you convert it's one less plastic part that's going to break.
Can't the metal part break too? I mean, I've seen all sorts of things break and/or wear out, and I'm not a mechanic.

The cartridge filter on my Tundra isn’t bad at all. I switched to the Toyota metal housing, can provide details if anyone wants them, about $25 for the aluminum one.

What’s really a pain on my truck is the height of the drain plug. I get oil every where when trying to drain it as it spews out a few feet from the plug. An oil extractor doesn’t work on this pan design.

The filter design is a non-issue compared with the plug.

I no longer let Toyota dealership “mechanics” work on my Toyota. They’re clowns.

They boogered up the old oil filter housing, so I bought the aluminum one. On another oil change, they left bolts stuck in a magnetic dish on the frame and had to get new bolts for the skid plate, oops... Finally, when doing a recall, forgot to put all the bolts back in the bumper bracket.

Three times I’ve let the Toyota dealer in Virginia Beach touch my truck, and each time, it’s been a clown show. They can’t even do an oil change without breaking or losing components.

Compared with gross ineptitude- who cares about filter design?

I bought the metal version for 17 Sienna also. It is around $25, actually I bought 2 of them.
So when the filter needs changing, I can prepare the spare on the bench.
Lie down under, take off the one in the engine and put the spare on.
Save time and less going up and down.

I am not sure how the Tundra plug is, though.
I don't have Tundra.
For Sienna it is the same as any old Toyota I had before.

The plug is the issue on the Tundra. Two feet up. Pointed outboard. A very deep bottom to the pan with lots of height for the eight quarts behind that plug when it comes out.

As I’ve mentioned in other threads, oil extractors don’t get it that deep pan. I can remove only three quarts of the eight with an oil extractor. Kinda’ pointless.

The filter is simple, quick and clean by comparison. I like the metal cap better. Glad I made that change.

I was just wondering about if the cartridge filter has both adbv and bypass. It must have a bypass, a spring loaded center tube is an odd one. Getting both valves in a spin on would be another advantage of them. In other threads people were complaining about the cartridge, Toyota this and that bad engineering.

I think Toyota has heard the groans...seems like most new models since 2017 now are back to the screw-on types. I just bought a 2021 Prius and she has the screw-on but my wife's 2017 Prius 2 has the stupid canister. So I asked my Toyota OEM supplier if there's a kit to convert it. (It's the same engine as mine.) Nope. So I checked Baxter's and it has them but then says, "Does not fit Prius 2" ...so maybe there's a space limitation in there....stinks!
My daughter has a 2012 Sienna with the same plastic cannister filter and when I last did her oil change I noticed the cannister went ALL the way in before even feeling very tight so I ordered an aftermarket aluminum one for $15 and will change it out at the next oil change.

I think Toyota has heard the groans...seems like most new models since 2017 now are back to the screw-on types. I just bought a 2021 Prius and she has the screw-on but my wife's 2017 Prius 2 has the stupid canister. So I asked my Toyota OEM supplier if there's a kit to convert it. (It's the same engine as mine.) Nope. So I checked Baxter's and it has them but then says, "Does not fit Prius 2" ...so maybe there's a space limitation in there....stinks!
My daughter has a 2012 Sienna with the same plastic cannister filter and when I last did her oil change I noticed the cannister went ALL the way in before even feeling very tight so I ordered an aftermarket aluminum one for $15 and will change it out at the next oil change.
Almost 100% sure you can convert your 2017 canister element to a spin on filter. Just look up at your oil filter base and if it looks like the picture of the base above in the thread, it’s possible. The parts are that base, o rings and the threaded piece for the new spin on. You could buy the parts by plugging in a 2020 in place of the 2017. The new part bolts on and there it is, no more canister element oil filter. A supplier would find no stock kit, but he could find the parts needed.
Its possible the Sienna has the same kind of conversion ability to a spin on. I think a strong possibility.

Last edited:
For only a few select engine families that used both types of filters depending on year. Toyota doesn't go out and advertise/sell the parts. Its up to the owner to source the parts at the dealer. All you do is replace the filter mount from the cartridge to a filter mount with the canister, if it is available for your engine. This is DIY and don't expect a Toyota dealer to do this for you. And, if you don't have the PN's, don't expect the dealer parts clown to help either. 17 years ago, did the same to a Mazda6... swapping the 2.3 cartridge mount to a screw-on can from the same engine family 2.0!

Heres the Toyota can and cartridge mounts. Obviously, you'll need the nipple and appropriate seals.

View attachment 54629

For some of the other engines, you need the Baxter adapter.
The Baxter spin on adapter for a 2013 Highlander V-6 is $269.

Back