Toyota spin on oil filter conversion

Job

Some models of Toyota can replace their canister element oil filter to the new style with a spin on. Toyota sells the adapter they used to convert the new models like Corolla and Prius to spin on. It's about $100 for the parts needed, bolts on in place of the old cartridge assembly. For people who don't like the cartridges. Don't know if it has been discussed before.

For only a few select engine families that used both types of filters depending on year. Toyota doesn't go out and advertise/sell the parts. Its up to the owner to source the parts at the dealer. All you do is replace the filter mount from the cartridge to a filter mount with the canister, if it is available for your engine. This is DIY and don't expect a Toyota dealer to do this for you. And, if you don't have the PN's, don't expect the dealer parts clown to help either. 17 years ago, did the same to a Mazda6... swapping the 2.3 cartridge mount to a screw-on can from the same engine family 2.0!

Heres the Toyota can and cartridge mounts. Obviously, you'll need the nipple and appropriate seals.

cancartridgeconversion.jpg

For some of the other engines, you need the Baxter adapter.

Wasn't a hassle when 1 oil filter on the shelf could be used on my Toyota, the converted Mazda, the VW, an ol' Nissan, my Ford, and the ex's Dodge..... an entire family fleet filtered by the FL400s, even though pretty much all called for different filter PN's.

Also, the 3/4-16 thread allows for.... bypass filtration, remotely mounted filters, oil coolers, real oil PSI/temp gauges..... since some leadfoots bolt turbos onto everything they own, or just mod as a hobby.

Enjoy the hobby!

I only knew of the Baxter model, but that $200 I believe.
I wonder if there is a Toyota model for the V6 in our GS and RX?
Gonna check it out. Thanks!

According to this article, it is for 2ZR engine:

You'd have to verify the 'filter cap'. RX, hopefully is similar to the 2gr-fe used in the camry/highlander/avalon/rav4 with the 9972 oil filter(fram speak).... I thought that the rear wheel drives had a different filter/cap/... so a call to Baxter would be needed to see if they make one for that version as it might not be the same since GS filter PN is 10158. The Baxter replaces the cap.

10158 filter vs the 9972 The 10158 is taller and not sure if that height means a longer oil filter cap or a deeper oil filter mount. Now I need to see if I can use the cap from the GS350 for the 'taller bigger' filter on the short filter'd Camry/Highlander/Avalon 2gr!!!

For only a few select engine families that used both types of filters depending on year. Toyota doesn't go out and advertise/sell the parts. Its up to the owner to source the parts at the dealer. All you do is replace the filter mount from the cartridge to a filter mount with the canister, if it is available for your engine. This is DIY and don't expect a Toyota dealer to do this for you. And, if you don't have the PN's, don't expect the dealer parts clown to help either. 17 years ago, did the same to a Mazda6... swapping the 2.3 cartridge mount to a screw-on can from the same engine family 2.0!

Heres the Toyota can and cartridge mounts. Obviously, you'll need the nipple and appropriate seals.

View attachment 54629

For some of the other engines, you need the Baxter adapter.
I've considered the same for our 2009 Mazda 5 with the 2.3, but have had no problems with the cartridge filters to date.

Some people cut open used spin-on filters for analysis - no need for that with a cartridge.

I would love to have a Toyota conversion kit for the V6. At $100 I'm a buyer. At $200? Nope.
Truth be told, the cannister service ain't that big a deal. I guess it was that 1 Corolla with the plastic cannister that I could not remove.
I pulled pretty hard, but then backed off as I was afraid of cracking it.

As much as I think the Toyota bottom of engine "cartridge" set up is somewhat Rube Goldberg-ian in nature, I wouldn't convert. Been many threads on best tools, housing caps and methods to change the cartridge. I've read most of them I think and I'd follow those suggestions and live with the "cartridge" set up. Just me.

That said, if one was considering conversion, imo best here to stick with OEM parts. JMJ's link above a good resource for that. Just searching 'some' of the parts one may want to price out with shipping all parts required to get an accurate estimate. Again though, I default to first paragraph.

It almost seems as though Toyota designed the engines from the start to be able to have either kind of filter. I don’t know but I can guess dealers would rather have the spin on adapter because it saves them time and clean up materials. It could be their input made them go back to spin on. Or maybe some markets had one type, others another. I don’t know if I would spend the $120 or so it takes, probably would.

It’s a smart thing to do. I can’t stand those cartridge filters. People often overtorque the plastic housing for the cartridge ones then they break on the next guy trying to take it loose. They make a metal housing too but I prefer the spin on it’s just so much easier. Don’t know how much longer we will be able to get the spin on filters though based on what I’ve been told. That’s why they are phasing them out on cars and have been.

It's actually more expensive per unit because of the housing to produce a vehicle with a cartridge application. My speculation in addition to pleasing 'some' customers, it's saving Toyota $$$$.

The cartridge filter on my Tundra isn’t bad at all. I switched to the Toyota metal housing, can provide details if anyone wants them, about $25 for the aluminum one.

What’s really a pain on my truck is the height of the drain plug. I get oil every where when trying to drain it as it spews out a few feet from the plug. An oil extractor doesn’t work on this pan design.

The filter design is a non-issue compared with the plug.

I no longer let Toyota dealership “mechanics” work on my Toyota. They’re clowns.

They boogered up the old oil filter housing, so I bought the aluminum one. On another oil change, they left bolts stuck in a magnetic dish on the frame and had to get new bolts for the skid plate, oops... Finally, when doing a recall, forgot to put all the bolts back in the bumper bracket.

Three times I’ve let the Toyota dealer in Virginia Beach touch my truck, and each time, it’s been a clown show. They can’t even do an oil change without breaking or losing components.

Compared with gross ineptitude- who cares about filter design?

On the Mustang GT350 with the Voodoo flat-plane crankshaft, Ford went from a spin-on to a cartridge filter because the engine had vibrations that could loosen the spin-on filter if it wasn't installed precisely right.

The cartridge filter on my Tundra isn’t bad at all. I switched to the Toyota metal housing, can provide details if anyone wants them, about $25 for the aluminum one.

What’s really a pain on my truck is the height of the drain plug. I get oil every where when trying to drain it as it spews out a few feet from the plug. An oil extractor doesn’t work on this pan design.

The filter design is a non-issue compared with the plug.

I no longer let Toyota dealership “mechanics” work on my Toyota. They’re clowns.

They boogered up the old oil filter housing, so I bought the aluminum one. On another oil change, they left bolts stuck in a magnetic dish on the frame and had to get new bolts for the skid plate, oops... Finally, when doing a recall, forgot to put all the bolts back in the bumper bracket.

Three times I’ve let the Toyota dealer in Virginia Beach touch my truck, and each time, it’s been a clown show. They can’t even do an oil change without breaking or losing components.

Compared with gross ineptitude- who cares about filter design?
Have room for a Fumoto ? Like mine … no more oil on the concrete 👍🏼

Back