Porsche cartridge filter versus spin on filter ?e

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Porsche Cayman uses a cartridge style oil filter. Several aftermarket companies offer a conversion kit to use a spin on. Is there an advantage to converting to a spin on versus a cartridge style?

Depending on where it's mounted on the engine, a spin on can be more or less messy compared to a cartridge one.

I'm curious though, those who sell these conversion kits, what benefits do they advertize?

Well, the description is this:

"The Spin-On Oil filter adapter also helps improve the longevity of your engine by providing full flow filtration by deleting the bypass, which means 100% of the oil gets filtered and whatever goes to the filter stays in the filter. This limits collateral damage from foreign object debris that would otherwise re-contaminate the engine when using the factory filter arrangement"

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tom in boise

"The Spin-On Oil filter adapter also helps improve the longevity of your engine by providing full flow filtration by deleting the bypass, which means 100% of the oil gets filtered and whatever goes to the filter stays in the filter. This limits collateral damage from foreign object debris that would otherwise re-contaminate the engine when using the factory filter arrangement"

29.gif

How does the existing cartridge filter work? It's not a full-flow filter? Or does it have both a bypass and a full-flow?

So if there is no bypass valve and your filter becomes clogged, then what happens?

Anyway, does't the spin on filter still have an internal bypass valve? You are just replacing the bypass valve built into the engine oil filter housing with a bypass valve inside the filter, no?

Unless its in a really hard to get to spot then I would say no. That and with a cartridge filter you can see it without cutting a can and also buy cheaper filters since there is no spring/bypass valve/etc... to go bad.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
So if there is no bypass valve and your filter becomes clogged, then what happens?

Anyway, does't the spin on filter still have an internal bypass valve? You are just replacing the bypass valve built into the engine oil filter housing with a bypass valve inside the filter, no?

So is the "bypass" in question a bypass valve or bypass filter function?

Anyway, doesn't the spin on filter still have an internal bypass valve? You are just replacing the bypass valve built into the engine oil filter housing with a bypass valve inside the filter, no?

Found this thread on a Porsche forum. Kind of confirms what I wrote above, but there seem to be some hardcore proponents of this kit...

http://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/939637-ln-spin-on-adapter-filter-deal.html#post13383889

I guess the bigger question is: are people losing engines in their Porsches due to this factory oil filter setup? I'd make my purchase decision (of this filter kit) based on the answer to this question.

I've owned a Boxster - Changing the cartridge is a little messy, but I'd stick with what Porsche designed. I trust their engineers over most any other company...

Some of the original Cayman engines can have an issue with the failure of the Intermediate Shaft bearing, which then contaminates the engine oil supply and causes all sorts of other engine failure issues. Particularly on cars used for track days/racing. There are various engine mods people undertake to mitigate this potential, mostly centered around better oil control in the engine. This usually manifests itself as a deeper oil sump, perhaps with an improved internal baffle set up to ensure oil stays pooled around the pump pick up. Also and much more expensive is the addition of oil return pumps to ensure the heads are scavenged and the oil returned to the sump more effectively.

I will be adding a deeper sump arrangement to my Cayman this winter. I am contemplating installing the spin on filter arrangement at the same time. I use my Cayman for autocrossing and hill climbs, which are not as severe as tracking the car but are harder on the car then street driving. This last season I put on over 200 autocross runs on the car. That and hill climbs are all full throttle affairs, and the ambient temps in the summer can get around 100deg F.

FWIW - I use Mobil 1 0W-40 and the car consumed about 1 quart of oil this season total. I bought it last summer with 57k and it has 59k miles on it right now.

Last edited:

grin.gif

hagans-explosion-at-zmax-dragway_100388754_m.jpg

Quote:

Sounds like a lot of SPIN to me. Pun intended. Love the "collateral damage" part, impressive.

Personally, I prefer a spin on filter to cartridge set up for ease of filter change 'imo'. Cartridge housing on engine top not bad though. In any case, I wouldn't change the Porsche factory set up. That said, your ride.

Bypass serves it's useful purposes. Even Fram rep has here noted some inane Chevy "enthusiasts" removing the block bypass in those vehicles. Not good. My .02

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

grin.gif

hagans-explosion-at-zmax-dragway_100388754_m.jpg

dude...thats a Mopar...all he did was go past 100,000 miles.....
lol.gif
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: tom in boise
Some of the original Cayman engines can have an issue with the failure of the Intermediate Shaft bearing, which then contaminates the engine oil supply and causes all sorts of other engine failure issues. Particularly on cars used for track days/racing. There are various engine mods people undertake to mitigate this potential, mostly centered around better oil control in the engine. This usually manifests itself as a deeper oil sump, perhaps with an improved internal baffle set up to ensure oil stays pooled around the pump pick up. Also and much more expensive is the addition of oil return pumps to ensure the heads are scavenged and the oil returned to the sump more effectively.

I will be adding a deeper sump arrangement to my Cayman this winter. I am contemplating installing the spin on filter arrangement at the same time. I use my Cayman for autocrossing and hill climbs, which are not as severe as tracking the car but are harder on the car then street driving. This last season I put on over 200 autocross runs on the car. That and hill climbs are all full throttle affairs, and the ambient temps in the summer can get around 100deg F.

FWIW - I use Mobil 1 0W-40 and the car consumed about 1 quart of oil this season total. I bought it last summer with 57k and it has 59k miles on it right now.

The IMS issue, if it applies to your car, should be upgraded to one of the aftermarket kits to deal with the issue. Bits and pieces of the bearing getting around the engine are not the real concern. It's the failure of the timing system, and the engine shortly after, due to a failed IMS bearing. The Porsche filter design is fine, imho.

I don't see how having a bigger sump will keep a non-lubricated part from failing. The original IMS bearing setup was a sealed bearing, and was not designed to be dependent on the oil volume. A bigger sump with better baffles could be a benefit in autocross or hill climbing. But it's already a nine quart capacity, and Porsche designed it to take corners pretty well I suspect. I'd spend the money of a larger sump on brake pads/rotors and tires.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back