Toyota Severe Service

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see photos of ISIS, Iraqi Army, and regular civilians in Irag and Syria and most appear to be driving around in Toyota PU trucks. Now these are almost 3d world countries, the weather is hot and the roads are dusty. You have to wonder what kind of maintenance these trucks get and how frequently. It must be severe service +. Either Toyota is making some really tough engines or they are getting fed a diet of super engine oils. Any one know what kind of oil the get fed, preferred brand or weight, and how often?

Lol you're joking right? I'm pretty sure those people go a minimum of 50k+ miles per oil change, if it ever gets changed. There isn't any "severe service" schedule followed. The owners manual probably has never been opened.

Toyota builds tough engines...I'm sure the factory fill will outlast the rest of the truck in a war zone!

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
They get blown up before you need to change the oil.

Or shot full of holes, or run into a hole, or left on the side of the road once the cumulative neglect adds up to enough to stop it.

I doubt any of them will have an oil change.

Last edited:
Actually, this raises an interesting question...In severe service, assuming the oil is never changed, how long on average would it take for the engine to die?

Last edited:
Every so often pictures show up of a severely sludged engine. Most of the time I bet whatever miles is claimed on the motor/body is the length of the OCI. Seems like 40-50k is about what I recall of the few I've read about.

IIRC my aunt in law did that on a Mustang. I want to say 47k was the magic number. Somehow she missed the memo about needing oil changes, despite driving for, I dunno, decades at this point in her life.

I bet these guys have "servants" eg new recruits low on the totem pole who go through the trucks when there's downtime. There's lots of idle people and idle time which breeds terrorism to begin with.

There's a user here from Kuwait who reports that the region seems to like nasty 20w50.

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
ISIS can get a diesel Toyota pickup. I can't.

And that's what kills me, proof that we are being fed EXACTLY what they want to make. We think capitolism means making what's in demand. Nope, it's about dangling only a limited number of treats in front of the consumer puppies, mismanaging and getting a golden parachute bailout. Meanwhile your workers rely on government lunches for their kids. The same workers you convince to vote for you to dismantle their programs that feed their kids because this is 'Umerika.

Back on topic, the ISIS truck will carry large guns for 100k yet my Camry with 30k in "the greatest country on Earth" has three recalls, and the transmission has a maldesigned torque converter that shudders getting groceries and has done so for 7 years worth of Camrys.

Originally Posted By: Stewie
I think it is because they have the old Toyotas 90s.

Its quality has gone downhill after 2000s

Our Special Forces seem to like the quality of the newer Tacos just fine.

My 2006 Tacoma has almost 200,000 miles and still runs like new. I run it hard too. Off road, trailer towing in the South Texas heat, and the worst torture test of all I let my teenagers drive it. No major repairs ever. Just maintenance and normal wear items like brake pads and battery.

Last edited:
Google "Killing a Toyota"... Top Gear did a multi part show on a diesel Hilux which is what is mostly driving around the Middle East. It's pretty awesome, even if you're not a Toyota fan.

Originally Posted By: Stewie
I think it is because they have the old Toyotas 90s.

In many of the videos I see of ISIS, they are using brand new tan/beige Toyota trucks.

I grew up in Tehran, Iran during the early 80's. There were lot of FJ60 Landcruisers rolling around Tehran back then, and the most common oil used on these Toyota Trucks back then was good old GTX 10W-40, or 20W-50. There were a few people who paid up and used Lubro Molly 10W-40 MoS2, but the most common oil used on these back then was good old castrol GTX.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back