Toyota just specified new oils.

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

I would think that the 05 Corolla's can use 5W20.

Since your Warrenty is till 2010 and Toyota STATES in the TSB not to use, your risk
nono.gif

I would not take that chance..
spaz.gif

Toyota DID change the specs on the 2006 Corolla.

It does hold more oil. We know the dip stick has changed but we know nothing else. New windage tray? Different bottom end?

My warrenty is going to be up by the end of this year (if not summer) but I'm still going to stay with 5w-30. The UOAs and everything (incl excellent MPG) is showing me that 5w-30 is excellent.

Take care, bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

PS: If your dealer says it's ok. GET IT ON PAPER!
cheers.gif

Interesting.

I wonder if the increase in oil capacity in the 06 1ZZ-FE engine was done in preparation for the 5w-20 switch. Would the 1/2 qt increase in oil capacity result in a more rapid oil pressure buildup upon startup ??? Otherwise, I'm really curious as to why the sump capacity was increased.

quote:

A slightly longer loitering period for the oil in the pan allowing better heat dissipation resulting in cooler oil and near equal apparent viscosity between the grades during normal use?

Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of the 5w-20, which is to be thinner to provide better fuel efficiency?

[ April 06, 2006, 07:34 PM: Message edited by: The Critic ]

A slightly longer loitering period for the oil in the pan allowing better heat dissipation resulting in cooler oil and near equal apparent viscosity between the grades during normal use?

I am sure this will start a lot of debate as to which 5w-20 to run.

I see a price increase in my MC 5w-20 very soon.
frown.gif

quote:

Originally posted by javacontour:

Recommended Engine Oils:
ILSAC GF-4 SAE 5W-20:

This oil has been set as the Toyota genuine engine oil, starting in February 2006 for the US. This oil is superior in terms of fuel economy, engine protection, and cold starting performance.

I hope our special friend reads this.
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by javacontour:
I have a copy of the following:

Technical Service Builletin March 29, 2006

Engine: EG018-06

Title: Ilsac GF-4 Engine Oil Recommendation

Models: All '06 - '07 Toyota & Scion

TSB UPDATE NOTICE:

The information contain in this TSB supercedes TSB No. EG001-06. TSB No EG001-06 is now obsolete and should be discarded.

It's easy to see from the full text of the TSB that you posted that what was posted on that Scion board and later posted here at the start of this thread is a severly redacted version of the original. The text of the actual TSB makes perfect sense and only mentions TWO GRADES: 5w20 and 0w20 and the engines that use them. THERE IS NOTHING IN THE TSB ABOUT 5w30 AND 0w30.

Interesting my new Toyota Tundra V8 was built in toward the end of February 2006 and the oil cap on the motor says 5W-30 SL. I just changed the oil out at 800 miles to some Mobil Clean 5000 SM 5w 30.

I've wondered if it came with 5w 20. Because it seems to run at more oil pressure than the factory fill was doing. Not a lot more but it is noticeable especially when cold.

I was surprised to see it takes a little over 6 1/2 qts to fill the oil up.

I got to do a mostly highway trip with the factory fill and got 19.1 MPG. I guess I will see how much of an effect the 5w 30 has on the mileage. But will probably stick with 5w 30 since it along with 10w 30 has done well with me for many years. I do some mild towing and feel more comfortable with the XX-30 wts myself considering the weight of the truck and possible towing involved ect. Thinking about going to Mobil Clean 7500 SM 5w 30 synthetic blend on next OCI.

thats 6.5 qts helps those engines to last long.

I'm running 5w-20 in a high mileage 97 camry right now. its got close to 300k km's on the 5SLUDGE-FE engine. when you drive away cold, there is a puff of blue smoke but only if its gassed hard or revved up high. otherwise it runs perfectly. no more strange noises than we're used to. of course its got 1/3rd a can of molyslip too.

the 5se engines are 4 cyl ones-
the sludge ones were the V6s and their number is 1m something.

many 4 cyl camry puff oil at start up - its the valve guides.Usually after 125k miles

quote:

Originally posted by Hirev:

Are the OCIs specified in the owner's manual any different from the previous years? It could be that larger sumps are coinciding with longer OCIs.

quote:

Originally posted by i:
javacontour,

Any chance you can email that kind person again and ask them if 0w30 is also acceptable in the 2006 tC? I'm itching drip the elvish blend into my riceburner.

I didn't get a direct e-mail, but it came with a "generic" return address.

Of course, you could just go to the Scion webpage. That's where I went and found a link for owners to contact them.

Or call the toll free number listed in their e-mail to me.

HTH,

T

quote:

Originally posted by 427Z06:
Are the OCIs specified in the owner's manual any different from the previous years? It could be that larger sumps are coinciding with longer OCIs.

The Toyota Maintenance guide for the Tundra just states OCI of 5000 miles. No mention about conditions.

The owners manual for my 91 Toyota V6 truck that I still own states 7500 miles "normal driving conditions". But than states 5000 miles for "severe conditions". So I always changed this truck around 4000 miles give or take 500 miles.

quote:

Don't new engines have more horsepower and lower fuel economy than older engines?

No. Toyota's newest generation of engines give more Hp per liter and provide better mpg (efficiency) than their previous versions. Their variable valve timing system is improved, they now have direct fuel injection which also helps. Their engine technology on their newer engines is amazing.

I am really impressed with Toyota in every way. It is just that I like to root for the underdog and like things that are a bit different. I don't think I could ever own a Toyota.

quote:

Originally posted by 427Z06:

quote:

Originally posted by Hirev:

Nope, Same as before ASP (After Sludge Period)

5k miles or 6mo whichever comes first.

Does not matter how it's driven..

Bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

quote:

Originally posted by The Critic:

quote:

Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of the 5w-20, which is to be thinner to provide better fuel efficiency?

I don't think so. While having more oil running cooler could result in 5W-20 and 5W-30 having equal viscosity at operating temperature, the oil would still be thinner on startup. It would provide fuel economy benefits in warmup and short trip driving.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back