Toyota just specified new oils.

Status
Not open for further replies.

i

Unfortunately, my Scion tC isn't in the recommendations, so I'm still stuck with 5w30. I wonder if they forgot about us tC owners?

quote:

In a service bullitin dated 3-29-06, Toyote states: *Toyota motor Corporation manufacturing plants have begun using ILSAC GF-4 engine oil. This engine oil is recommended due to its superiority in terms of fuel economy and engine protection and due to its benifits for both the customer and the environment. ISLACGF-4 can be used in all Toyota and Scion engines. *This recommendation is for 2006-2007 vehicles. *ILSAC GF-4 SAE 5w-20: This oil has been set as the Toyota genuine engine oil, starting in February 2006 for the US. This oil is superior in terms of fuel economy, engine protection, and cold starting performance. *ILSAC GF-4 SAE 0W-20: This oil has even better fuel efficiency and cold starting performance than 5W-20. Initial application for 0W-20 is in the 2006 model year 2AZ-FE engine and will be used in new engines to be developed. *Engines using ILSAC GF-4 SAE 5W-30: AZ series, GR series, JZ series, JZ series, MZ series, NZ series, RZ series, UZ series, VZ series, 1ZZ-FE, 2TR-FE. *Engines using ILSAC GF-4 0W-30 (beginning with 2006 model year): 2AZ-FE Camry, 2AZ-FE Solara, 2AZ-FE highlander, 2AZ-FE RAV4 (ACA#3). **************************** NOTE:(!!!!!) DO NOT use these oils in engines other than those listed above. These low-viscosity oils cannot maintain lubrication effectiveness in engines with older designs and could result in smoke emissions from the tailpipe and/or unusual engine noise.

http://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=113779&highlight=oil

The wording is confusing. It appears to be saying that 5w20 will be the oil in the US for all Toyota engines, but then lists 5w30 for certain engine families.

"NOTE:(!!!!!) DO NOT use these oils in engines other than those listed above. These low-viscosity oils cannot maintain lubrication effectiveness in engines with older designs and could result in smoke emissions from the tailpipe and/or unusual engine noise."

That pretty much blows out of the water my intensions of trying 5W-20.
shocked.gif

I believe the actual service note is formated differently. My account on Toyota has expired or I would pull down the pdf. (btw, for the money, the Toyota Tech. site is awesome)

quote:

Originally posted by GoldenRod:
"NOTE:(!!!!!) DO NOT use these oils in engines other than those listed above. These low-viscosity oils cannot maintain lubrication effectiveness in engines with older designs and could result in smoke emissions from the tailpipe and/or unusual engine noise."

That part doesn't make any sense. Toyota has spec'd 5w30 for years and this "warning" appears to be referring to all the oils listed above it, i.e., 5w20, 0w20, 5w30, and 0w30.

Something tells me there has been some creative cutting and pasting here.
rolleyes.gif

Interesting.

Will not affect my 2005 1ZZFE..

quote:

These low-viscosity oils cannot maintain lubrication effectiveness in engines with older designs

Also, maybe there is more to a 2006 1ZZFE than just a shorter dipstick and 1/3 more of a quart of oil?
confused.gif

Bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

Is Toyota perhaps intimating that for engines where they specify 5W-20 oil, that the engine has design differences from previous engines, engines where they do not recommend the use of 5W-20?

It's as if the folks at Toyota decided to see just how much trouble they could stir up on BITOG. They pretty much packed every hot button "thick-thin" issue into one paragraph.

That said, I think this development goes a long way to nailing the coffin shut on the "evil conspiracy" aspect of the evolution toward use of lighter oils. Toyota is without doubt the most sensitive of all the car makers about harm that "oil disaster" can do to the corporate reputation, after the recent 5S-FE and 1MZ-FE sludge debacle. If any car maker was going to have its ducks in a row and make sure an oil recommendation was safe, it would be Toyota, IMO. Zip up the asbestos, here we go. . .
cheers.gif

What is the difference in engine design of new and older engines?

Don't new engines have more horsepower and lower fuel economy than older engines?

If I were a manufacturer and I decided to change over to 5w-20 I would redesign the pan for more capacity.

Reformatted to make it a bit easier to read:
quote:

In a TSB (technical service bulletin) dated 3-29-06, Toyota states:

Toyota Motor Corporation manufacturing plants have begun using ILSAC GF-4 engine oil. This engine oil is recommended due to its superiority in terms of fuel economy and engine protection and due to its benefits for both the customer and the environment. ISLAC GF-4 can be used in all Toyota and Scion engines.

This recommendation is for 2006-2007 vehicles.

ILSAC GF-4 SAE 5W-20: This oil has been set as the Toyota genuine engine oil, starting in February 2006 for the US. This oil is superior in terms of fuel economy, engine protection, and cold starting performance.

ILSAC GF-4 SAE 0W-20: This oil has even better fuel efficiency and cold starting performance than 5W-20. Initial application for 0W-20 is in the 2006 model year 2AZ-FE engine and will be used in new engines to be developed.

Engines using ILSAC GF-4 SAE 5W-30: AZ series, GR series, JZ series, JZ series, MZ series, NZ series, RZ series, UZ series, VZ series, 1ZZ-FE, 2TR-FE.

Engines using ILSAC GF-4 0W-30 (beginning with 2006 model year): 2AZ-FE Camry, 2AZ-FE Solara, 2AZ-FE highlander, 2AZ-FE RAV4 (ACA#3).

NOTE: DO NOT use these oils in engines other than those listed above. These low-viscosity oils cannot maintain lubrication effectiveness in engines with older designs and could result in smoke emissions from the tailpipe and/or unusual engine noise.

quote:

Originally posted by Bill in Utah:
Interesting.

Will not affect my 2005 1ZZFE..

quote:

These low-viscosity oils cannot maintain lubrication effectiveness in engines with older designs

Also, maybe there is more to a 2006 1ZZFE than just a shorter dipstick and 1/3 more of a quart of oil?
confused.gif
Bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

I'm glad you said that Bill because I could not make heads or tails out of that bulletin

I've often wondered that about the 2006 1zz's myself
dunno.gif

Goose
patriot.gif

quote:

Originally posted by GoldenRod:
That pretty much blows out of the water my intensions of trying 5W-20.
shocked.gif

Goldenrod, don't sweat it! I used PZ 5w-20 on a 1996 Saturn with 140K that showed stellar results. Heck, AEHaas runs 5w-20 in his FERRARI with fine results. Neither of these cars were spec'd for 20wts as you could imagine...

In all candor, I'd try any M1, Amsoil, or RedLine xw-20 in my old 1999 3.0L V6 Sludgey Sienna if I still had it.

If they spec 0w-30, does that mean peeps with those engines will have to splurge for synthetic??? Or will they start making 0w-30 dino or synthetic blend? It still doesn't quite make sense. They make it sound like 5w-20 for everything then give a list of different grades for darn near every Toyota vehicle!
dunno.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Drew99GT:
It still doesn't quite make sense. They make it sound like 5w-20 for everything then give a list of different grades for darn near every Toyota vehicle!
dunno.gif

Exactly. Nothing about it makes any sense. In one paragraph they say "Initial application for 0W-20 is in the 2006 model year 2AZ-FE engine..." And then in another paragraph they say "Engines using ILSAC GF-4 0W-30 (beginning with 2006 model year): 2AZ-FE Camry, 2AZ-FE Solara, 2AZ-FE highlander, 2AZ-FE RAV4 (ACA#3)."

And then in the "warning" paragraph they say "These low-viscosity oils cannot maintain lubrication effectiveness in engines with older designs..." indicating that ALL the oils mentioned are not suitable for certain engines. Yet Toytoa has spec'd 5w30 for years.

It's like some moron at Toyota wrote this.
rolleyes.gif

Let's see if I get a good or just canned response to this e-mail:

First, I want you to take your time to make sure you have the most current technical information. So in other words, don't just give me the canned, do what the owners manual states if there is newer recommendations out there from Toyota and Scion.

I have a 2006 Scion tC VIN . I recently learned that Toyota may be recommending different oil viscosities for their 2006 model year vehicles.

Someone paraphrased what looks like a Toyota Service Bulletin dated 3/29/2006. It looks like Toyota is now recommending 5W20 ILSAC GF-4 rated oils for my Scion.

Will you please research this and send me an e-mail with your findings. Also, If you would, please send me a mailed copy of any new recommendations to my address, so that I might have this information to add to my owners manual documention.

Thanks,

Attached: Copy of Paraphrase

In a TSB (technical service bulletin) dated 3-29-06, Toyota states:

Toyota Motor Corporation manufacturing plants have begun using ILSAC GF-4 engine oil. This engine oil is recommended due to its superiority in terms of fuel economy and engine protection and due to its benefits for both the customer and the environment. ILSAC GF-4 can be used in all Toyota and Scion engines.

This recommendation is for 2006-2007 vehicles.

ILSAC GF-4 SAE 5W-20: This oil has been set as the Toyota genuine engine oil, starting in February 2006 for the US. This oil is superior in terms of fuel economy, engine protection, and cold starting performance.

ILSAC GF-4 SAE 0W-20: This oil has even better fuel efficiency and cold starting performance than 5W-20. Initial application for 0W-20 is in the 2006 model year 2AZ-FE engine and will be used in new engines to be developed.

Engines using ILSAC GF-4 SAE 5W-30: AZ series, GR series, JZ series, JZ series, MZ series, NZ series, RZ series, UZ series, VZ series, 1ZZ-FE, 2TR-FE.

Engines using ILSAC GF-4 0W-30 (beginning with 2006 model year): 2AZ-FE Camry, 2AZ-FE Solara, 2AZ-FE highlander, 2AZ-FE RAV4 (ACA#3).

NOTE: DO NOT use these oils in engines other than those listed above. These low-viscosity oils cannot maintain lubrication effectiveness in engines with older designs and could result in smoke emissions from the tailpipe and/or unusual engine noise.

quote:

Originally posted by jorton:
What is the difference in engine design of new and older engines?

Don't new engines have more horsepower and lower fuel economy than older engines?

If I were a manufacturer and I decided to change over to 5w-20 I would redesign the pan for more capacity.

The 2006 had more capacity (about a 1/3 more of a quart) and less horsepower (diff measurement).

Same MPG.

BUT, it was still 5w-30 on the cap and in the manual for 2006 as it's been for 2005.

I'm going to stay with 5w-30 since my engine is doing excellent as far as UOAs, MPG (I doubt going to 5w-20 is going to get me more) and smoothness.

quote:

If they spec 0w-30, does that mean peeps with those engines will have to splurge for synthetic??? Or will they start making 0w-30 dino or synthetic blend? It still doesn't quite make sense. They make it sound like 5w-20 for everything then give a list of different grades for darn near every Toyota vehicle!

No, I'd still stay with what you know works Drew.

At least Toyota does state that you SHOULD NOT use 5w-20 in older cars that were not DESIGNED for it.

My 1999 Ford Taurus which stated 5w-30 and 10w-30 for it, ford came out and said 5w-20 for it.

Like I said, I know 5w-20 is a excellent oil. But I'll stay with 5w-30 even if Toyota came out and said the above for my model year.

Maybe if it's going to be real real cold (like under -20 below) I'd think in 50/50 of 5w-20 with 5w-30...

quote:

so I'm still stuck with 5w30

5w-30 is a EXCELLENT oil. Check out my UOAs and you'll see that Pennzoil dino, Castrol GTX, etc do excellent in a Toyota motor.
cheers.gif

Take care folks!
biggthumbcoffe.gif

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back