Toyota just specified new oils.

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by GROUCHO MARX:
Just change the oil cap to 5w-20 if you want to use it on your car.
rolleyes.gif

lol.gif

I don't own a Toyota, but can I still freak out like everyone else?
tongue.gif
gr_eek2.gif
gr_stretch.gif

quote:

Originally posted by surfstar:

quote:

Originally posted by GROUCHO MARX:
Just change the oil cap to 5w-20 if you want to use it on your car.
rolleyes.gif

lol.gif

I don't own a Toyota, but can I still freak out like everyone else?
tongue.gif
gr_eek2.gif
gr_stretch.gif

Neither do I (nor have I ever, nor will I ever, just call me a refusenik
patriot.gif
). But this is some funny $h!t. Can I freak out too??
freak2.gif
gr_eek2.gif

If 5W-20 oil "cannot maintain lubrication effectiveness in engines with older designs", then why does the owner's manual for my 2003 Ford Ranger specify 5W-20 for the 3.0 liter Vulcan V6 that's in the truck when that engine has been around for at least 20 years? I'd say that's definitely an older design.

quote:

Originally posted by jmacmaster:
If 5W-20 oil "cannot maintain lubrication effectiveness in engines with older designs", then why does the owner's manual for my 2003 Ford Ranger specify 5W-20 for the 3.0 liter Vulcan V6 that's in the truck when that engine has been around for at least 20 years? I'd say that's definitely an older design.

Since this is a Toyota service bulletin I think it's safe to assume they are only talking about Toyota engines.
rolleyes.gif

And it doesn't say "5w20 cannot maintain lubrication effectiveness." It says that ALL the oils listed can't maintain lubrication effectiveness in older engines, which as I've pointed out is pure nonsense because Toyota has specified 5w30 in their engines for years.

The link that 'i' gave is to a car forum, and my impression is that everything between the asterisks is Toyota's--everything after the asterisks is the poster's comments.

Nevermind

I've seen one line online about Toyota TSB EG018-06 that looks similar to this, but you have to be a paying subscriber to get the PDF document.

Huh!? I couldn't make heads or tails of that document. I'm happy with my 5W30 anyway. If I was to try a 20 weight I'd go for 5W20 in a synthetic variation. I've already tried a 0W30, and for them to say it can't maintain lubricatrion is preposturous. The Amsoil S2K is thicker than Mobil 1 5W30. It matters not.

quote:

It's like some moron at Toyota wrote this.

What's not to understand? What Toyota wrote there is basically the same what VW/Audi wrote back in '99 when they started using low viscosity oils in many (most) of ther new engines. They also noted exceptions -- and given the number of equipment (WIV) and engine options, there were plenty exceptions.

Of course, VW/Audi were morons in the first place for (prematurely?) beginning to use low viscosity oils, and by now they have stopped using those altogether in their latest engine designs.

I have a copy of the following:

Technical Service Builletin March 29, 2006

Engine: EG018-06

Title: Ilsac GF-4 Engine Oil Recommendation

Models: All '06 - '07 Toyota & Scion

TSB UPDATE NOTICE:

The information contain in this TSB supercedes TSB No. EG001-06. TSB No EG001-06 is now obsolete and should be discarded.

Introduction:
Toyota Motor Corporation manufacturing plants have begun using ILSAC GF-4 engine oil. This engine oil is recommended due to its superiority in terms of fuel economy and engine protection and due to its benefits for both the customer and the environment. ILSAC GF-4 can be used in all Toyota and Scion engines.

Note:

- The recommended viscosity grade for this oil differs according to vehicle model. Use the recommended grade specified on the oil filler cap or in the Repair Manual or Owner's Manual for each vehicle.

- For Prius vehicles, refer to TSB No. EG050-04 "Engine Oil Specifications."

Applicable Vehicles:

2006-2007 model year Toyota and Scion vehicles.

Warranty Information: Not Applicable to Warranty

Recommended Engine Oils:
ILSAC GF-4 SAE 5W-20:

This oil has been set as the Toyota genuine engine oil, starting in February 2006 for the US. This oil is superior in terms of fuel economy, engine protection, and cold starting performance.

ILSAC GF-4 SAE 0W-20:

This oil has even better fuel efficiency and cold starting performance than 5W-20. Initial application for 0W-20 is in the 2006 model year 2AZ-FE engine and will be used in new engines to be developed.

Engines That Can Use 5W-20 and 0W-20:

Engines using ILSAC GF-4 SAE 5W-20: AZ series, GR series, JZ series, MZ series, NZ series, RZ series, UZ series, VZ series, 1ZZ-FE, 2TR-FE.

Engines using ILSAC GF-4 0W-20 (beginning with 2006 model year): 2AZ-FE Camry, 2AZ-FE Solara, 2AZ-FE highlander, 2AZ-FE RAV4 (ACA#3).

NOTE: DO NOT use these oils in engines other than those listed above. These low-viscosity oils cannot maintain lubrication effectiveness in engines with older designs and could result in smoke emissions from the tailpipe and/or unusual engine noise.

Oh, and Scion comes through too!

quote:

Originally written by Vernon@scion

Response (Vernon) 04/06/2006 02:25 PM
Thank you for contacting Scion.

We appreciate your inquiry regarding engine oil recommendations for your tC. Scion issued a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) #EG018-06 updating engine oil recommendations for particular vehicles. The Scion tC, which is equipped with the 2AZ-FE engine, is now recommended to use ILSAC GF-4 SAE 5W-20 oil, whereas in the Owner's Manual for your vehicle it outlines the use of ILSAC SAE 5W-30 oil.

We apologize, we do not have the ability to provide copies of TSB's. You may contact your local dealer for further assistance or our Material Distribution Center at 800-622-2033.

Please feel free to contact us should you have any further questions or comments. We would be happy to assist you. You may contact us directly at 1-866-70-SCION or by email at Contact Us.

Thank you for your interest in Scion.

Scion Customer Experience

quote:

Originally posted by javacontour:
[QB] I have a copy of the following:

Technical Service Builletin March 29, 2006

Engines using ILSAC GF-4 SAE 5W-20 : AZ series, GR series, JZ series, MZ series, NZ series, RZ series, UZ series, VZ series, 1ZZ-FE , 2TR-FE.

So from this posting 'our' 1ZZ-FE is able to use 5W-20?

Great work Javacontour.

I see the GR series is listed as factory filled with 5w20. I wonder if that's what's in my new 1GR-FE Tacoma? I will have to converse with my dealer about this TSB and get their take on it.

quote:

IF it's a 2006-2007 Yes.

If it's a 2005 or before NO.

They did change in the 2006 model year to hold more oil.

Who knows what else?

Take care, bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Bill in Utah:

quote:

IF it's a 2006-2007 Yes.

If it's a 2005 or before NO.

They did change in the 2006 model year to hold more oil.

Who knows what else?

Take care, bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

I wonder if and when this new info will filter down to GM and their 1zzfe Vibes?

javacontour,

Any chance you can email that kind person again and ask them if 0w30 is also acceptable in the 2006 tC? I'm itching drip the elvish blend into my riceburner.

I need to make a trip to my local dealer about oil choice. I would think that the 05 Corolla's can use 5W20. If I can, and get slightly better fuel economy out of my car, I want too. Although I still have enough Redline 5W30 to last until the end of summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back