Toyota Honda OEM Mobile 1 Which Oil? Chart. Is it just for engine noise?

I have owned and changed a lot of oil in all my Toyota’s from 1985 to present and used mainly Valvoline in them and Rotella T6 in the Land Cruiser with high mileage. Never had an oil related problem other than the LC with 210,000 mi would massively consume M1 at high rpms. One qt per tank of gas. I tried many other oils and couldn’t replicate the M1 consumption even at 450,000 mi.

Now that my wife and I both have somewhat modern Toyota’s (2011 2014 Highlanders), I went to get some Valvoline 0W20 and see that Mobile 1 is a little cheaper. So I decided to look into trying M1 again. This put me on the search and found Toyota oil are formulated different from M1 and some say the engine run quieter with Toyota oil.

With more searching I found this chart at my local dealers website showing some Toyota’s should use Toyota oil and others should use Toyota or M1. Then found that Honda had the same type of oil selection chart.

If this has been gone over before I apologize but I did search with no luck.

My observation from both Toyota and Honda chart is that the lighter vehicles need the added additives of an OEM oil but the larger vehicles don’t?

My question is are the added additives in the OEM oil worth the added expense in my Highlanders?

Are the extra additives just to quiet the engine noise in the lighter/smaller vehicles so that the manufacturer doesn’t get complaints? Engine noise in smaller vehicles is usually more pronounced in my experience.

My wife’s Highlander has only 32,000 mi and she plans on keeping along time.

IMG_1783.jpeg

IMG_1784.jpeg

Interesting Honda recommends there oil by the quart. Our Honda dealer uses Penzoil semi bulk blend for all Honda's we service. Providing the customer changes there oil on time we have never had oil issues using it

Last edited:
I don't know about what added additives you're referring to since they're all just about the same basic ilsac gf6a oil and are very similar from one another in voa's. And no toyotas aren't specially formulated for M1 or vice versa lol. They are just a supplier for their oem fluids but suppliers change every now and then because the accountants said so. Use whatever brand you want. Though some people say that M1 can make an engine a bit louder but it shouldn't be an issue. If I owned a 2011 and 14 highlander I'd use a heavier but still light 30 grade 6a oil or a slightly heavier euro rated 30 or 40 more so for the better additives to clean more and keep clean for longer over x basic ilsac gf6a which isn't bad but nothing spectacular.

I’ve used Mobil1 in my Avalon, which should have the same motor is your Highlanders (2GRFE). The Mobil1 performed fantastic, with excellent used oil analysis’s on 10,000 mile intervals. I’d use that before I spent more for Toyota Genuine motor oil.

That graphic is questionable. Honda doesn't use 0W-16, as shown, but Toyota does, on at least some of their models.
Yep, deceptive even, as I have never seen a Honda Quart bottle with 0w16. The 16 looks photoshopped in the picture.

iirc, TGMO Used to have more moly than the equivalent M1 but I think that has changed and they are the same now.

Either way, I would ignore any of these funny car/oil charts from any website especially the dealer's site or the internet. Lol
Never seen anything like that. Best place to check is the requirements listed in your owner's manual and then I ignore the brand of oil if listed (sometime they add a little sticker on the manual or the oil cap) and then I go a little thicker because of CAFE. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
iirc, TGMO Used to have more moly than the equivalent M1 but I think that has changed and they are the same now.

Either way, I would ignore any of these funny car/oil charts from any website especially the dealer's site or the internet. Lol
Never seen anything like that. Best place to check is the requirements listed in your owner's manual and then I ignore the brand of oil if listed (sometime they add a little sticker on the manual or the oil cap) and then I go a little thicker because of CAFE. :ROFLMAO:
If I am not mistaken most VOA/UOA of Toyota Genuine in ILSAC GF6B have evidenced moly compound treat rates well over 500ppm

So, 16 grade and below Genuine Toyota Motor Oil many have increased AW, treats but not Majors or GF-6A 20 grades.

from @CZJonny post -

Screenshot 2024-06-09 100207.jpg

Last edited:
I have a hunch those selection charts are produced by a dealer looking to sell the oils they stock.

FWIW my 2012 Honda hasn't seen Honda oil since we bought it new, but it occasionally saw M1 when I found it on sale/rebate; it mostly gets Pennzoil. My 2005 Toyota hasn't seen Toyota oil since we bought it in 2007, and I don't think it has ever seen M1; it mostly gets Castrol. Both cars have 160k+ miles and no signs of failing anytime soon...

Back