Toyota Forces purchase decision a little early/Hyundai Santa Fe traded in......

OP avoiding a turbo engine is the most BITOG thing ever. Next he'll be picking up a Crown Vic!
LOL! Not avoiding the turbo as much as going with a proven motor.....I got twin turbos on the F150. But that motor has specific benefits over the V8. And it's a proven motor.

OP avoiding a turbo engine is the most BITOG thing ever. Next he'll be picking up a Crown Vic!

Preferring a modern 300ish HP V6 on a large crossover over a smaller 4-cylinder turbo is completely valid. In my experience the V6 provided more consistent power throughout the power band. Sure, the extra torque from the turbo makes it a zippy around town, but overtaking another vehicle at highway speeds? I’ll take the V6 all day.

PS, I’m a 2.3l ecoboost owner myself..

Why the very specific width? Wondering if you backed one in and put passenger door to passenger door if that would allow easy access to driver side of both.

Why the very specific width? Wondering if you backed one in and put passenger door to passenger door if that would allow easy access to driver side of both.
Good thought. But the garage is just narrow. And my F150 takes most of the space.

Preferring a modern 300ish HP V6 on a large crossover over a smaller 4-cylinder turbo is completely valid. In my experience the V6 provided more consistent power throughout the power band. Sure, the extra torque from the turbo makes it a zippy around town, but overtaking another vehicle at highway speeds? I’ll take the V6 all day.

PS, I’m a 2.3l ecoboost owner myself..
2.4 will obliterate that 2GR-FKS passing, going uphill name it.
That V6 has astonishingly narrow torque band.

2.4 will obliterate that 2GR-FKS passing, going uphill name it.
That V6 has astonishingly narrow torque band.
You live at altitude so in your case, yes. Where I live there are no hills and I'm only around 900' above sea level, so going 80 down the interstate the 2GR wins despite the lack of torque (you're correct on that one). In town I agree, I'll take the torque of the turbo. Despite it's shortcomings and lack of character it is also just a simple, dead-reliable powerplant.

You live at altitude so in your case, yes. Where I live there are no hills and I'm only around 900' above sea level, so going 80 down the interstate the 2GR wins despite the lack of torque (you're correct on that one). In town I agree, I'll take the torque of the turbo. Despite it's shortcomings and lack of character it is also just a simple, dead-reliable powerplant.
310 lb-ft is dramatic increase in torque. It is lighter engine, it will understeer less, it will tow better.
Passing is all about torque. You are accelerating from 40-50 mph. The torque is coming faster and it will be in more usable range. Especially if you manually shift.
2.4T is in use for more than 2yrs. Unlike 3.5TT, it didn’t have any issue.

Last edited:
310 lb-ft is dramatic increase in torque. It is lighter engine, it will understeer less, it will tow better.
Passing is all about torque. You are accelerating from 40-50 mph. The torque is coming faster and it will be in more usable range. Especially if you manually shift.

The 2.4T is giving up over 10% HP in favor of torque. Certainly, HP has some impact on acceleration at high speeds / RPMs, right?

Again, I really like Turbo engines -- own one myself -- but it's a give-and-take scenario. You gain the torque in the low end but at higher speeds /RPMs tend to lack power compared to the V6 counterparts. I've seen this across multiple brands of larger crossovers -- normally the outgoing and incoming models. This may not necessarily be the case with smaller/lighter vehicles, or maybe not as noticeable.

Last edited:
But.... Toyota also reprogrammed the transmission, so with the turbo motor, the transmission is less eager to downshift, which nullifies the advantage of a turbo, even at full boost.

The 2.4T is giving up over 10% HP in favor of torque. Certainly, HP has some impact on acceleration at high speeds / RPMs, right?

Again, I really like Turbo engines -- own one myself -- but it's a give-and-take scenario. You gain the torque in the low end but at higher speeds /RPMs tend to lack power compared to the V6 counterparts. I've seen this across multiple brands of larger crossovers -- normally the outgoing and incoming models. This may not necessarily be the case with smaller/lighter vehicles, or maybe not as noticeable.
Definitely Toyota 2.4T is not BMW turbo. It will lose power above 5,000rpm. However, 2GR-FKS is not some gem at higher rpms. It has very narrow torque band very high and it drops quickly in similar manner as average turbo engine.
A lot depends also how they programmed transmission.
However, that drop in hp is probably affecting 0-60 more than anything. Elasticity in passing is always turbo’s strong side.

This is nothing more than belief that V6 they were putting in HL is true gem. It is good engine, reliable, but far from some performance example.

Sure. It is Toyota.
VW did the same thing to the Tiguan, to marginally improve the fuel economy numbers.

Even the Budack cycle to the Tiguan should be theoretically be an upgrade similar to the 2.4T, less HP, but more torque than the outgoing engine, but it's no GTI engine, so that car is painfully slow and the fuel economy isn't that great. And don't think about an IS38 turbo upgrade

VW did the same thing to the Tiguan, to marginally improve the fuel economy numbers.

Even the Budack cycle to the Tiguan should be theoretically be an upgrade similar to the 2.4T, less HP, but more torque than the outgoing engine, but it's no GTI engine, so that car is painfully slow and the fuel economy isn't that great. And don't think about an IS38 turbo upgrade
Budack cycle is detuned EA888. Everything is detuned. And it is dramatically heavier that 1st generation Tiguan.
I highly doubt 8 speed in Toyota will shift any slower or delay at obvious ask for power.
Then, there is manual shifting.

This is nothing more than belief that V6 they were putting in HL is true gem. It is good engine, reliable, but far from some performance example.

That's not true. Some people believe the naturally aspirated, larger displacement engine will outperform the turbo in certain performance scenarios (such as high-speed passing) but that doesn't mean it's a "gem". The engine itself is nothing special from a performance perspective.

What we need to do it find a couple of BITOG members that own the outgoing and incoming models and have them find out on a closed course. How many cases of oil can you offer on a bet? :)

Last edited:
That's not true. Some people believe the naturally aspirated, larger displacement engine will outperform the turbo in certain performance scenarios (such as high-speed passing) but that doesn't mean it's a "gem". The engine itself is nothing special from a performance perspective.

What we need to do it find a couple of BITOG members that own the outgoing and incoming models and have them find out on a closed course. How many cases of oil can you offer on a bet? :)
What is high speed passing? Are we talking here passing 120mph+ or 50mph+?

I'm talking real-world highway passing scenarios, a quick burst from 60-80mph for example.

I think many people just drive in places/scenarios where you don’t really ever have to do this. But personally, passing at highway speeds (let’s say 60 to 80mph like you said) is an important ability and your vehicle needs to be able to get up and go for it to be safe.

I'm talking real-world highway passing scenarios, a quick burst from 60-80mph for example.
All about torque.
60-80mph was standard measurement by all European auto magazines. Diesels always did best, bcs. torque.
As far as I remember 2.4T has flat torque curve between 1,800 and 4,600 rpm.

I think many people just drive in places/scenarios where you don’t really ever have to do this. But personally, passing at highway speeds (let’s say 60 to 80mph like you said) is an important ability and your vehicle needs to be able to get up and go for it to be safe.
You are exactly right.

Back