Ford Escape or Hyundai Santa Fe

I really liked the older escapes. We had an 08 hybrid and it was a *nice car.* I liked nearly everything about it - really good materials throughout, all the controls were solid and tight, body was well aligned, drove great, very good headlamps, and the hybrid drivetrain did what it promised. OTOH we looked at a few around 2018 for my son and it just wasn’t the same DNA. I’m not sure when they started to change.

AVOID 2015-2020 2.0 ECOBOOSTS AT ALL COSTS!

Although there have been some coolant intrusion issues on *some* 2.0 ecoboost engines it's not as wide spread as the 1.5/1.6 ecoboost engines. I've seen many high mileage 2.0 ecoboost without coolant intrusion issues. It's always mportant to keep an eye on the coolant, especially on any ecoboost engine. If I were in the market for a used Ford Escape I'd look for a base model 2.5 fwd if possible. The 2.5 is a great long lasting engine. That being said the 2.0 ecoboost is fun to drive.

Although there have been some coolant intrusion issues on *some* 2.0 ecoboost engines it's not as wide spread as the 1.5/1.6 ecoboost engines. I've seen many high mileage 2.0 ecoboost without coolant intrusion issues. It's always mportant to keep an eye on the coolant, especially on any ecoboost engine. If I were in the market for a used Ford Escape I'd look for a base model 2.5 fwd if possible. The 2.5 is a great long lasting engine. That being said the 2.0 ecoboost is fun to drive.
The pre-open deck 2.0s were fine and there a lot of those that went high miles. If you watch the video it was actually 2017-2020 2.0s in the Escape that had the version 1 open deck design before the revision to the small holes in the corners between the cylinders.

Which lemon makes better lemonade?

Without dedicated and proactive maintenance, I wouldn't consider either.

I guess if mileage/age are low enough, you could also consider those fly-by-night dealer extended warranties, or telemarkerter phone scam tv informercial pay by monthly warranties too. I'd budget up, if possible, and look at the other Asian makes.

Threadstarter said AWD is a must. Some require that peace of mind with kids that they actually still like and tolerate.

With any vehicle you get used, run VIN at dealer to verify all recalls/campaigns. Baseline all fluids/filters, regardless if recently service. Use quality filters/fluids/tires/brake/belts and enjoy the vehicle. Adapt a more frequent interval for fluids. Visit the 'make/model' and 'sibling' forums for common issues, adaptations/upgrades and repairs/maintenance.

My daughter has two santa fe's with the Lambada V-6. On eof them is approaching 180,000 miles and runs great. The other newer one is about 130K. Based on my experience I would stay away from Ford.

I don't want to offend anyone but Hyundai is junk with a great warranty. Many have had a few new in engines in the warranty period. Ford is great if you take care of it and maintain it.

I don't want to offend anyone but Hyundai is junk with a great warranty. Many have had a few new in engines in the warranty period. Ford is great if you take care of it and maintain it.
Do you want to talk about the DCT transmissions that were junk from the factory? Do you want to talk about Ford holding the record for most recalls this year?

Or-of course my favorite is leaving owners stranded with the 6.0 fiascos.

Yea-Fords are great.
I just bought a 2020 F150-so I'm entitled to make these comments. I have a tailgate that magically opens when it rains. Yea-there is a recall for that too.

plugs, coolant, ATF, diff/xfer gear oil, thermostat, air filter, cabin filter, oil and filter, serpentine belt, brake bleed, brake inspection/cleaning, tire inspection/rotation/psi/alignment, big bottle of Techron, a complete valve adjustment, and an exorcism

Last edited:
I have a 2015 Escape 2.5 and have been racking up the miles with zero problems. A buddy of mine has a 2016 Santa Fe and had nothing but problems. I'd go with the Ford.
That's not even close to a fair comparison. Those Escapes(MIL had a 2010) were far better cars than the current offerings.
Engine alone I'd take the Sante Fe, that V6 was great.

My question is why not buy a vehicle that has a dealer close by.No matter the brand,they need parts and services.Cars are exceedingly complex and sometimes need a bit of finesse to get them right.A close dealership makes that a reality

That's not even close to a fair comparison. Those Escapes(MIL had a 2010) were far better cars than the current offerings.
Engine alone I'd take the Sante Fe, that V6 was great.
291 horse power in my wife's Santa Fe 3.3-a grocery getter that actually has some "get up and go !"

It's got 60,000 miles on it-almost 61,000-getting ready to blow up according to this board.

We have an Escape at work that I thought the mileage on was 100,000, as that is how it felt. I later did a double take when I saw it was actually 10,000 miles.

I would not even consider one. That being said, I’ve not been in a Hyundai, but my Grandmother loves hers and my Dad told me it really isn’t that bad of a vehicle. He is a die hard Ford guy with a Mustang, F150 and Lincoln’ version of the Edge in his garage.

But I really like Nissan Rogues, so my opinion may not matter!

We have an Escape at work that I thought the mileage on was 100,000, as that is how it felt. I later did a double take when I saw it was actually 10,000 miles.

I would not even consider one. That being said, I’ve not been in a Hyundai, but my Grandmother loves hers and my Dad told me it really isn’t that bad of a vehicle. He is a die hard Ford guy with a Mustang, F150 and Lincoln’ version of the Edge in his garage.

But I really like Nissan Rogues, so my opinion may not matter!
The Rogues have been the third best selling vehicle in it's class. So there is something people like about them.

The latest generation Rogue is a really nice vehicle. I'm not a fan of the earlier gens.

Back