Toyota Forces purchase decision a little early/Hyundai Santa Fe traded in......

Budack cycle is detuned EA888. Everything is detuned. And it is dramatically heavier that 1st generation Tiguan.
I highly doubt 8 speed in Toyota will shift any slower or delay at obvious ask for power.
Then, there is manual shifting.
It’s more than just a detuned ea888

If it was just a detuned ea888 then a simple ECU tune would bringing it back in line

Going budack cycle, VW/Audi did everything anti-enthusiast when it came to modding the car down to weaker internal construction of the engine. A common IS38 turbo swap cannot be done on the budack cycle as the connecting rods will fail on you

Even the old Tiguan with the shared GTI engine isn’t particularly quick

And the MQB isn’t substantially heavier either, only about 200 lbs heavier

Last edited:
It’s more than just a detuned ea888

If it was just a detuned ea888 then a simple ECU tune would bringing it back in line

Going budack cycle, VW/Audi did everything anti-enthusiast when it came to modding the car down to weaker internal construction of the engine. A common IS38 turbo swap cannot be done on the budack cycle as the connecting rods will fail on you

Even the old Tiguan with the shared GTI engine isn’t particularly quick

And the MQB isn’t substantially heavier either, only about 200 lbs heavier
I understand. I am not sure what this has to do with Tiguan? Who cares about IS38.

Old Tiguan would absolutely obliterate my Sienna with 2GR-FE here in the mountains.
Main issue with old Tiguan is that transmission programming.

Then argument starts about turbo’s vs displacement vs what colour the sky is today.

People were discussing vehicle performance on an automotive discussion forum under the "Vehicles" section. That's kind of what happens here.

It was a relevant discussion because the OP chose that specific model year for the powertrain (and maybe other reasons)

I would hardly consider any of these exchanges an "argument". I like hearing other's views and learning from them and is one of the reasons I post.

Last edited:
I know you said you changed bc of what is available; but if the 2017 was still running fine and had no problems, why not keep it another 5-6 years? Well maintained vehicles should easily last 12 years these days. Sounds like you manufactured a reason bc you wanted a new car, when there was nothing wrong with the current one?
I would buy a 2017 model from a sufficiently OCD BITOG'er.

Reactions: CKN
Back