2016 Hyundai Santa Fe timing chain question

Oh, really?
A short internet search says otherwise.
Okay? One engine type on one brand. It's not even the engine or brand being discussed. Regardless, how does this one example support your statement that "timing chain (and/or associated hardware) replacement is quite common on vehicles these days?

Okay? One engine type on one brand. It's not even the engine or brand being discussed. Regardless, how does this one example support your statement that "timing chain (and/or associated hardware) replacement is quite common on vehicles these days?
That's just an example.
If you (or OP) does a similar search of other vehicles with a timing chain, you'll see it's not uncommon.
Which is why RA even supplies timing chains on newer vehicles (something that should last the lifetime of the vehicle).

That's just an example.
If you (or OP) does a similar search of other vehicles with a timing chain, you'll see it's not uncommon.
Which is why RA even supplies timing chains on newer vehicles (something that should last the lifetime of the vehicle).
You mean if you go searching on the internet, that you’ll find what you’re searching for?? Wild.

Yes, and that's it's common to other makes, not just Honda.

This internet thing, it's pretty wild! Especially if you know how to use it
😘
"The hasty generalization fallacy is sometimes called the over-generalization fallacy. It is basically making a claim based on evidence that it just too small. Essentially, you can’t make a claim and say that something is true if you have only an example or two as evidence."

LINK

"The hasty generalization fallacy is sometimes called the over-generalization fallacy. It is basically making a claim based on evidence that it just too small. Essentially, you can’t make a claim and say that something is true if you have only an example or two as evidence."

LINK
Ok, show me proof that the Hyundai setup is different from the Honda setup.
And that extended OCI's cannot be the cause of damaged timing components.

Basically, prove to me what caused OP's issues.
Until then, my theory is highly probable and more than likely, correct.

Linky

Ok, show me proof that the Hyundai setup is different from the Honda setup.
And that extended OCI's cannot be the cause of damaged timing components.

Basically, prove to me what caused OP's issues.
Until then, my theory is highly probable and more than likely, correct.

Linky
You made a sweeping accusation that replacement timing chain/components is common in cars today. The only "evidence" you provide is extended OCIs suggested by OEMs and some links to forums, because everyone knows that forums are representative of the owner base as a whole /s.

You didn't even have evidence of this "issue" from the same brand, let alone the same engine as the OP. Your claim of "extended oil change intervals" is off-based as Hyundai doesn't recommend extended OCIs. You have nothing to support your claim, yet you dig your heels in and demand to be proven wrong. That's not how this works. The burden of proof lies with the person making the accusation.

Also, you know for a fact that I can't "prove to you what caused OP's issues".. that's a stupid request to make. We don't even know what the OP's issues are because, as others have pointed out, Hyundais are sensitive to filters. If he's running aftermarket oil filters, those could very well be what his problem is.

Edit: And you seem to think that I think the timing chain is not the problem. It very well could be. My point was that the Gamma engine is not known for timing chain/guide/tensioner issues, so if that is in fact the problem, it is likely that some OCIs were missed by the previous owner. In that case, it would be prudent to run some short OCIs after the repairs to try to clean things up a bit.

Last edited:
My daughter bought a 2016 Hyundai Santa Fe in December. It has engine rattle on cold start. My read research leads my to believe it is the hydraulic timing chain tensioner. The Chevrolet dealership where I purchased it says it the timing chain and everything needs to be replaced. Quoted me $5700! Ones the timing chain need replaced or just the tensioner? Is that an accurate repair quote?
I have a 2007 Honda Odyssey with 112k miles that is still on it's original timing belt. I plan to change it at 125k miles for $800 (including OEM parts bought from a low priced online Honda dealer parts dept, and the labor of a local mechanic).
Everyone complains about why is Honda still using timing belts in their J35 series V6's (even the brand new ones have timing belts).

I actually prefer timing belts. They are predictable. The owner's manual says change at 105k or by the maintenance minder but they build in significant padding on that estimate. They say change every 7 years, but my timing belt is 16 years old and going strong.

$5700 to replace a timing chain on a 2016 year vehicle.
You can see why I honestly don't want to buy a vehicle that has a timing chain.

You made a sweeping accusation that replacement timing chain/components is common in cars today. The only "evidence" you provide is extended OCIs suggested by OEMs and some links to forums, because everyone knows that forums are representative of the owner base as a whole /s.

You didn't even have evidence of this "issue" from the same brand, let alone the same engine as the OP. Your claim of "extended oil change intervals" is off-based as Hyundai doesn't recommend extended OCIs. You have nothing to support your claim, yet you dig your heels in and demand to be proven wrong. That's not how this works. The burden of proof lies with the person making the accusation.

Also, you know for a fact that I can't "prove to you what caused OP's issues".. that's a stupid request to make. We don't even know what the OP's issues are because, as others have pointed out, Hyundais are sensitive to filters. If he's running aftermarket oil filters, those could very well be what his problem is.

Edit: And you seem to think that I think the timing chain is not the problem. It very well could be. My point was that the Gamma engine is not known for timing chain/guide/tensioner issues, so if that is in fact the problem, it is likely that some OCIs were missed by the previous owner. In that case, it would be prudent to run some short OCIs after the repairs to try to clean things up a bit.
Like I said before, prove me wrong.
Give me factual evidence that extended OCI's didn't cause the issues OP is facing.

Until then, you can argue your side as much as you want.....it's just your word against mine.
🤷‍♂️

Like I said before, prove me wrong.
Give me factual evidence that extended OCI's didn't cause the issues OP is facing.

Until then, you can argue your side as much as you want.....it's just your word against mine.
🤷‍♂️
Again.. burden of proof lies with the individual making the claim... You've made an assertion, provided no actual evidence to support this claim, and are now asking me to prove your claim wrong. Nah. And it's not "your word against mine", it's you digging your heels in and standing beside a baseless claim. That's all this is.

Furthermore, there's zero evidence of the OP extending OCIs. They've owned the car for 6 months. If you're thinking that Hyundai calls for extended OCIs, then you're just dead wrong. Hyundai calls for what is quite possibly the shortest recommended OCI of all manufacturers. We don't even know that timing chain/tensioners are the problem here. So again, you're just randomly posting and making baseless claims then digging your heels in when someone calls you out on it.

Again.. burden of proof lies with the individual making the claim... You've made an assertion, provided no actual evidence to support this claim, and are now asking me to prove your claim wrong. Nah. And it's not "your word against mine", it's you digging your heels in and standing beside a baseless claim. That's all this is.
Call it what you will, it's just your words against mine.
Nothing less, and nothing more.

Call it what you will, it's just your words against mine.
Nothing less, and nothing more.
I'm calling it what it actually is. You're blindly, and incorrectly, believing it to be something else. Frankly, I've had more intellectually stimulating conversations with my 4 year old nephew. Who, by the way, also digs his heels in when he's wrong about something.

I'm calling it what it actually is. You're blindly, and incorrectly, believing it to be something else. Frankly, I've had more intellectually stimulating conversations with my 4 year old nephew. Who, by the way, also digs his heels in when he's wrong about something.
Good for you and your 4 year old nephew. I'm sure he's a great little guy!
You've called me out on something i have had experience with (and rectified on my own vehicle).
Now you (someone who also doesn't own the vehicle in question) wants to make bold claims of knowledge.

Like I said, you are no better with your diagnosis than I am with mine.

Good for you and your 4 year old nephew. I'm sure he's a great little guy!
You've called me out on something i have had experience with (and rectified on my own vehicle).
Now you (someone who also doesn't own the vehicle in question) wants to make bold claims of knowledge.

Like I said, you are no better with your diagnosis than I am with mine.
I didn't make a bold claim of knowledge. I simply called you out on your overly-generalized claim. Which was made, apparently, based off of your experience with your car and some threads from forums, neither of which are actual evidence nor do they even share engine/brand in common with those in the OP.

Also, please point to where I offered a "diagnosis". I'd love for you to show me where I told the OP what, in my opinion, is wrong with his car.

After reflecting on your long-winded rants, I seriously think you need professional assistance/advice.
You seem to have some sort of mental/psychological issues that causes you to take things too far...some sort of manic/bipolar issues.
I wish you the best in your journey, wherever that takes you.

As for the OP, I wish you the best in addressing your issue.
Maybe the folks on the Hyundai boards might be able to offer more assistance but from the reviews I've read, the OEM oil filter doesn't seem to offer much to address the noise.

Last edited:
After reflecting on your long-winded rants, I seriously think you need professional assistance/advice.
You seem to have some sort of mental/psychological issues that causes you to take things too far...some sort of manic/bipolar issues.
I wish you the best in your journey, wherever that takes you.

As for the OP, I wish you the best in addressing your issue.
Maybe the folks on the Hyundai boards might be able to offer more assistance but from the reviews I've read, the OEM oil filter doesn't seem to offer much to address the noise.
Haha ahh.. the ad hominem fallacy. You’ve managed to hit most of the published logical fallacies out there in this thread alone. Impressive! It’s okay to just admit when you’re wrong, you know.

Lots of vehicles have some amount of tc rattle on start up, that goes away quick, and never really causes a problem for thousands of miles.
If the noises disappears soon after start up, I would not worry about it. If it rattles all the time while running, then it is a problem. Clean oil is a friend of the tc; I would just make sure the oil gets changed regularly with a quality product and keep motoring on.
Replacing the tc and all components bc it ‘might fail’ seems like a waste of money. I do speak from experience, my 09 G5 rattles briefly every 5-10 starts, sometimes really loudly. It’s got 182k miles, and I’ve been driving it for 60k. Still waiting for the motor to let go….
I will admit it tends to do it more frequently when there is about 5-6k miles on an oil change, so it gets changed around then, well before what the OLM calls for. The quietest it has ever run was on a fill of PP 5W-30; but it gets changed with a whole pile of different oils, syn and conventional…whatever is cheapest and available at the time.

Back