2015 Hyundai Santa Fe sport 2.4 L

I've owned two 2.4 Hyundai and one Kia. Never an issue. The highest mileage reached with that engine was 118k. Congrats to her on her new ride.

I’ve heard about the blown engine but could not find any details or recalls regarding this engine. What exactly goes wrong?
First Hyundai said it was caused by left over metal shavings from machining at the factory. Since then, even with updated engines the problem continues. Now I guess they are saying it's caused by excess engine knock and the original knock sensor not detecting it, causing damage.

Either way the end result is a locked up engine.

The good news is hers is low mileage, so make sure it has the update, change oil every 3,750 miles per Hyundai with a quality synthetic and appropriate grade, and drive on!

Here is a pic from the warranty card Kia sent us for our SXL upon completion of the .KSDS update. Hyundai likely has a similar card.
We keep ours in the glove box.

The Optima was passed to my youngest son this year when my wife bought the Stinger, so with local traffic only (High School, friends, sports, etc), I typically adhere to the normal service interval (4-5K changes).

IMG_7654.JPG

No its not voided. Just take it in and tell the dealer you need the knock detection software update. That will give you a lifetime engine warranty. You can go onto the Hyundai website, put your VIN in and see what recalls or TSB are still pending
Actually a few techs have reported that there has been a very recent internal change in their policy. If the campaign was not completed before a certain date and an engine failure occurs, there will not be coverage.

Daughter just purchased a 2015 Hyundai Santa Fe sport with a 2.4 L engine. 30,000 miles on the odometer. Are there any things that we should look out for in this vehicle? Any problem areas?
Of course have your mechanic check it out. I have a '10 Sonata with the 2.4 engine I purchased new, on top of maintenance, began using Mobile 1 w Pur upgrade filter years ago. 329k later I just had to replace fuel filter. Good drive train!

Check the oil frequently (weekly) for awhile, to get an idea of whether it's an oil burner or not. If it isn't, you're probably good to go. Just change the oil every 4000 miles / 6 months. I have the 2.4L in my '19 and it's been great so far--no oil is burned between oil changes and it has plenty of power. This engine was Hyundai's workhorse engine for over a decade. Some failed, but the vast majority of them are solid. With the new warranty, I wouldn't worry about it.

What color is the dipstick handle?
Yellow is stock
Orange has had the recall done
Red means it has had a replaced engine.
Have had both of our hyundais reprogrammed. No change in dipstick. Both yellow.

I would just make sure that you follow recommended maintenance schedule, use the right oil and use OEM oil filters.

It is possible in the future that the engine will use excessive oil or have bearing failure. Make sure oil changes are done and recorded. Make sure all recalls are up to date.

Back