IDEMITSU 5w30 IFG 3 2020 Hyundai 2.4 Santa Fe

UOA 2020 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.4

IMG_3503.jpeg

Ouch viscosity on only 4k miles??

Ouch, indeed!!

That’s low viscosity and TBN for 3,600 miles.
Admittedly, the wear metals look good but the “Properties” values suck.

This has to be a short tripped car, right? How many months was the oil in the crankcase?

I bet serious coin your fuel dilution is actually higher than what BS extropolated.

And, no, I wouldn’t “try 5,500 miles on the next oil.”

Ouch, indeed!!

This has to be a short tripped car, right? How many months was the oil in the crankcase?

I bet serious coin your fuel dilution is actually higher than what BS extropolated.

November 15, 2023 to March 5, 2024 was the time frame.
Yes, I’d say it’s definitely a short trip car. 5 miles one way to work; nothing is more than a 15 minute drive with a 60 mile one way trip every other month or so.
These Hyundai engines are very problematic so I’m trying to stick with a 4k OCI or less. PUP is in there now and I’ll get an analysis on that in a month or two. Probably no more Idemitsu — I’m far from an expert but it doesn’t appear the #s justify the expense and more so the hassle of online ordering.

November 15, 2023 to March 5, 2024 was the time frame.
Yes, I’d say it’s definitely a short trip car. 5 miles one way to work; nothing is more than a 15 minute drive with a 60 mile one way trip every other month or so.
These Hyundai engines are very problematic so I’m trying to stick with a 4k OCI or less. PUP is in there now and I’ll get an analysis on that in a month or two. Probably no more Idemitsu — I’m far from an expert but it doesn’t appear the #s justify the expense and more so the hassle of online ordering.
And it was also run through the winter months. Not sure if you live in a climate that gets freezing temps in the winter, but that could also make the fuel dilution worse.

Keep in mind, your wear metals were *significantly* lower than universal averages (UA):
UA: 18ppm total wear metal / 5.4 (average mileage for UA) = 3.33ppm per 1000 miles for the universal average
Your car: 7ppm total wear metal / 3.586 = 1.95ppm per 1000 miles

I like your plan of keeping oil changes at 4000 miles, but you can rest a little easy with those numbers above. Just keep an eye on your total wear metals per 1000 miles whenever you do an oil analysis. If you're staying around 2ppm per 1000 miles, you're golden. That's not to say not to watch individual elements or other factors on the report (such as markers for coolant).

Ouch, indeed!!

It's not short-tripping, Hyundai/Kia motors are notoriously bad at fuel dilution

This engine is crying for a step-up .... SP 0w/5w40.
The dilution concern is worse than what the analyzer is reporting.

This is one of three reasons I do 3k OCIs, driving the same exact engine. There are 30Ws that are thicker.
Amsoil Euro 0w30 SP. Mobil-1 ESP SP?
Pennzoil Black Label Synthetic 5w30
Castrol GTX Synthetic 5w30
Quaker State 10k Synthetic 5w30
Supertech 10k Synthetic 5w30

There may be a few more Euro oils in 5w30 that are thicker. But I doubt they are SP. Most are SN.
The more you adapt to these HyunKia subpar engines like the 2.4, the longer they will last before they Implode. Short OCIs, thicker oils and never letting the dipstick oil level fall below a half-quart low.

One more...... keep the RPMs down whenever possible.

Back