2015 Hyundai Santa Fe sport 2.4 L

Daughter just purchased a 2015 Hyundai Santa Fe sport with a 2.4 L engine. 30,000 miles on the odometer. Are there any things that we should look out for in this vehicle? Any problem areas?

check it out for yourself

Rumor is that if the campaign wasn't completed by a certain date, even if it is completed now, there is a high likelihood that any engine warranty claimed will be declined.

• Wow
Reactions: JC1
Defective engines, but not to worry they have a lifetime engine warranty, as The Critic said as long as the campaign was completed. The campaign reprogram the computer for the knock sensor to detect issues sooner.

Burning oil and engine issues are the most major.
Friend had a nice 2015? or maybe 2017 and it was burning 1qt /600 miles and they wouldnt fix it.
they kept overfilling the oil when doing the oil burning test.. he eventually traded it in on a CR-V
He loved it besides the engine.

What color is the dipstick handle?
Yellow is stock
Orange has had the recall done
Red means it has had a replaced engine.
What exactly was the engine recall? I checked VIN and it does not show an engine recall for that year make model

I'll Provide some links as I would research a vehicle, having a KIA with a 3.5 I'd say it is DIY friendly;
First I do a search with Problems and car complaints and repair pal are usually top returns;
"2015 hyundai santa fe problems" above are the links returned.
Car complaints can be skimmed over as a lot of it is how the story progress but there is a lot of information that can be found in the comments.
Free VIN through History report sometimes not a lot of info there but sales history and locations are sometimes reported.
I'll ad more in another post as these three above can get you started.

Last edited:
Next the model forums can be searched for the biggest concerns;
"hyundai santa fe forum" here's 2 top returns;
3rd Generation Santa Fe (2013-2018)
DM (2013-2019) Santa Fe
And similar KIA model;
2014 - 2015 Sorento Forum

Though I would also search out other models that use the same engine/drive train as there may be good information there too.

Reading through this keep in mind others may have the V6 so your not spending time on something that may be out of given parameters.

Hopefully she has a good experience with it. Of the 3 Hyundais owned by coworkers (all with the 2.4) 2 of them blew the engine.

Hopefully she has a good experience with it. Of the 3 Hyundais owned by coworkers (all with the 2.4) 2 of them blew the engine.
I’ve heard about the blown engine but could not find any details or recalls regarding this engine. What exactly goes wrong?

I’ve heard about the blown engine but could not find any details or recalls regarding this engine. What exactly goes wrong?
there is a sudden knock in the engine that cannot be detected by the knock sensor located on the block, and the knock very often is not so obvious 'till the very end when it is usually too late

the remedy is to bring your car, they will change the knock sensor and re-run software on ECU; if something happens again your replacement of the engine will be covered; otherwise (not bringing your car on time) you're out of luck so no warranty in that case

Hopefully Service Campaign 953 for knock detection was done a while ago. Otherwise the powertrain warranty extension may have been voided.
No its not voided. Just take it in and tell the dealer you need the knock detection software update. That will give you a lifetime engine warranty. You can go onto the Hyundai website, put your VIN in and see what recalls or TSB are still pending

What exactly was the engine recall? I checked VIN and it does not show an engine recall for that year make model
Its not a recall. Hyundai/Kia got sued for faulty Theta 2 engines 2.0T and 2.4 N/A. Part of the class action lawsuit stipulates if you get the KSDS update you get a lifetime transferable warranty and rental.Also note if you get a flashing check engine light you will not be able to go over a certain speed. If this happens take it to the dealer DO NOT CLEAR ANY CODES

Back