Toyota Crown takes 0w8 oil

My second car was a 1980 AMC Sprit with a 2.5 Iron Duke in it. It had a HUGE double thick radiator. It was about 40 inches wide and 124 inches tall and was about 3 inches thick. It held 3, THREE, I am not kidding you, 3 quarts of oil! I read in an old Hot Rod magazine there is a formula out there that lets you compute the increase and decrease of the oil capacity and cooling capacity inversely. Same reason 911's hold 3 or 4 gallons of motor oil!

This /\ /\ /\ /\ exactly. Engineering/production of modern internal combustion engines is better than it has have EVER been. Especially Toyotas. But the main focus is on increasing fuel economy, especially in countries where there are large tax incentives to have higher fuel economy like the US.

Once you scratch the surface just a bit and peel back a couple of layers.. it becomes clear that Toyota (and other automakers) are making major changes with these ICE vehicles in an effort to increase efficiency and fuel economy. Electric vehicles are becoming more advanced, and more popular... they must adapt in certain markets, or be pushed out.

Toyota added Exhaust Gas Recirculation to its new Dynamic Force engines. Something not found in its previous Toyota gasoline engines. They also redesigned the engine internals to accommodate even thinner oils like 0w-16 and now 0w-8.

Now think about this... Toyota, a company traditionally concerned with simplicity and reliability.... why would they add EGR which only causes more complication, and often issues... because of that slight bump in fuel economy!

Same with the variable oil pump... because of that slight bump in fuel economy!

Same with the thin oil... because of that slight bump in fuel economy!

Same with the plastic and glue to save weight... because of that slight bump in fuel economy!

Toyota is running the thinnest oil it can, while still having acceptable engine wear. I am extremely happy to see the new 2022 and 2023 Toyota's still have the broad range of oil viscosity recommendations outside of the USA. So it seems that Toyota does still indeed care about reliability, just not as much as they are about money and tax breaks in certain markets.

And to all the people saying there are multiple parts each for different regions of the world.. that would not be cost effective. Companies avoid this at all costs whether its software or hardware... both cost a lot of money to develop. Not saying it does not happen in certain instances.. but with an oil pump? I am not buying that. Now with a gauge cluster that shows kilometers instead of miles.. sure!

I don't think Toyota is quite as good as you think it does.

Here's the picture from the German manual
View attachment 145316

View attachment 145317

You only included the part that is relevant to your position. But not the full excerpt from the manual.

Cliff notes. Use 0w-16. If 0w-16 is not available, 0w-20 can be used, until the next oil change and 0w-16 must be used.
I know my Land Cruiser says 0w20, of course, I run 5w30. When I was stationed in Bahrain they would run 20w50 in the same Land Cruiser, their manuals say use 0w20 - 10w30 and after that it still says you can run a high velocity oil. Those land cruisers over there have a lot of mileage running on 20w50

Back