2023 Highlander Press Release... now with turbo

2.4L turbo replaces the V6, 265 hp & 309 lb-ft.

Also, digital instrument cluster available on top trims, wireless carplay, new spot for Qi wireless charger. Latest infotainment software (and Nav) from the Tundra and Lexus

Hero_Highlander-turbo_3-2048x1229.jpg

2.4L turbo replaces the V6, 265 hp & 309 lb-ft.

Also, digital instrument cluster available on top trims, wireless carplay, new spot for Qi wireless charger. Latest infotainment software (and Nav) from the Tundra and Lexus

Hero_Highlander-turbo_3-2048x1229.jpg

Looks great.

Yes. See also 2023 Lexus NX. Toyota is going smaller and with Turbo. Four cylinder. Even in Tundra. No more V8.

There is a new factory being built, in Tennessee, I believe. It is dedicated to building 4 cylinder engines here in North America.

Next up. Solid state batteries.

BTW it will be interesting exactly what oil will be spec'd here and in GR Corolla.

On the bright side - Toyota pulled the usual trick. They stuck with the old technology for as long as they could, while others rolled out small turbo engines in SUVs a long time ago. As result others had to deal with issues, while Toyota took time with R&D. That usual trick ends up in Toyota being "late to the party", but with a proven reliable drivetrain/power train, unlike some competitors who rush after the hype.

On the bright side - Toyota pulled the usual trick. They stuck with the old technology for as long as they could, while others rolled out small turbo engines in SUVs a long time ago. As result others had to deal with issues, while Toyota took time with R&D. That usual trick ends up in Toyota being "late to the party", but with a proven reliable drivetrain/power train, unlike some competitors who rush after the hype.
Their rollout of Tundra was abysmal reliability-wise!
Toyota, regardless that it pulled out the usual trick, still has issues around complicated ICE technology.

This has been the "Toyota Way." Always late to the party but overall high reliability. I always call Toyota the vanilla ice cream of the auto world. Nothing to ohh or awe over but still delivers.

I'm really interested to see how good (or bad since it is unknown) the Toyota 4 turbo ends up. I have about 2 years before I'll be looking for a vehicle. I can't/wont drop the coin on my dream car (X5 8 turbo) because it just is NOT reliable enough for that kind of coin. #1 on my list is a upper trim level Highlander, possibly Hybrid. I like the Lexus RX but trunk is too small. I'm really interested to see if this engine ends up refined a bit and in the Lexus SUV lineup.

My
I’d say your favorite OEMs, BMW & VW, also have issues with complicated ICE technology, too, given their abysmal reliability and longevity, eh?
My BMW is cheaper to maintain than my Sienna, and Sienna runs on that good ole V6.
Also, BMW does not buy engines from Toyota. Toyota does from BMW. So there is that.
And I have not seen yet BMW or VW that has to be taken apart, literally, after 300 miles bcs. something like the wastgate valve failed.

My

My BMW is cheaper to maintain than my Sienna, and Sienna runs on that good ole V6.
Also, BMW does not buy engines from Toyota. Toyota does from BMW. So there is that.
And I have not seen yet BMW or VW that has to be taken apart, literally, after 300 miles bcs. something like the wastgate valve failed.
I know a guy, he's a Euro tech. Mostly Mercedes, but some BMW/VW mixed in regularly. He says he picked a good field as far as job security and paycheck goes. Don't see many Toyota techs saying the same, so I'll keep buying Toyota/Lexus, with occasional Honda/Acura mixed in.

From owning a VW I can say that DIY VW repairs always cost me same or more than Toyota/Lexus stealership repairs. Simply because nearly any repair on a VW requires special tools.

Last edited:
I know a guy, he's a Euro tech. Mostly Mercedes, but some BMW/VW mixed in regularly. He says he picked a good field as far as job security and paycheck goes. Don't see many Toyota techs saying the same, so I'll keep buying Toyota/Lexus, with occasional Honda/Acura mixed in.

From owning a VW I can say that DIY VW repairs always cost me same or more than Toyota/Lexus stealership repairs. Simply because nearly any repair on a VW requires special tools.
Lol.
Good that you don’t need special tools removing Tundra’s body to replace wastegate.

Their rollout of Tundra was abysmal reliability-wise!
Toyota, regardless that it pulled out the usual trick, still has issues around complicated ICE technology.
Major changes from 21 to 2022 (e.g. V8 to TT V6) and lots of issues from what I've read. Maybe parts shortages and major redesign during covid was not a good idea ... I think it may need another year or two to resolve the issues!

Lol.
Good that you don’t need special tools removing Tundra’s body to replace wastegate.
My statements were on VAG group in general. Tundra definitely deserves some criticism for that brainfart of engineering design. But if looking at all models and Toyota/Lexus in general (without nitpicking one model in the lineup), then PROs definitely outweighs the CONs in favor of the Japanese.

When VAG vehicles run without issues - they are amazing vehicles. Problem is they can't seem to run without issues for long. I've seen more check engine lights in low mileage/age German vehicles than high mileage Japanese vehicles.

Buy what you wish, everyone has different needs/preferences. I'm just stating the reasons behind my choices.

My statements were on VAG group in general. Tundra definitely deserves some criticism for that brainfart of engineering design. But if looking at all models and Toyota/Lexus in general (without nitpicking one model in the lineup), then PROs definitely outweighs the CONs in favor of the Japanese.

When VAG vehicles run without issues - they are amazing vehicles. Problem is they can't seem to run without issues for long. I've seen more check engine lights in low mileage/age German vehicles than high mileage Japanese vehicles.

Buy what you wish, everyone has different needs/preferences. I'm just stating the reasons behind my choices.
My Sienna seems that it cannot run without issues. I would take both of my two other vehicles on 5k road trip before Sienna, reliability and especially comfort wise.

Major changes from 21 to 2022 (e.g. V8 to TT V6) and lots of issues from what I've read. Maybe parts shortages and major redesign during covid was not a good idea ... I think it may need another year or two to resolve the issues!
They never knew how to make turbo engines. Once they retired Supra and inline-six they completely lost know-how.

I will say that this engine will fit HL better. The reason that 2GR-FKS had very, VERY narrow torque band peaking at 4,700rpms. Actually old 2GR-FE feels more powerful in everyday driving.309lb-ft is no joke, and it will definitely be improvement performance wise.
Will see about the rest.

Back