2023 Highlander Press Release... now with turbo

I think the biggest difference is going to be noise and vibration. My sister's got a 2015 that just glides down the road, not a hint of engine noise until she mashes the go pedal to pass the slow-donkeys. A turbo 4 will never match that, unfortunately. The days of quiet comfortable cruising are gone when the V8s and V6s leave the party.
VW does it really well.
Their 2L turbo loafs along just like a super smooth V6...never seen anything as nice in all of the 4 cylinders I have owned.
Gone is the harshness and noise and I am easily irritated by those things.
Plus hybrid like efficiency...amazing.

Agree with regard to the German 4Ts. I was quite interested in a fairly recent 328 and LOVED the power train. I was *very* disappointed in my discomfort with the seat, and the wild proximity between my fingers and the windshield. Even with my seat back, the glass seemed close to my face and my fingers were getting caught on stalks and the dashboard (glove size XL). BUT, even driving moderately aggressively, the mill and transmission were a note of perfection, and the mpg on the extended test drive were IMPRESSIVE.

Why would they scrap the V6 for an I4T that’s doesn’t provide better fuel economy? I just don’t understand that. I’m not opposed to small 4 cylinder turbos but I’m not sure if they are a great fit in heavy vehicles like that.
You think all those bean counters at the Great ISO/5S black belt ninja certified mudah or whatever-cutting Toyota home offices in Japan didn't think this through from every aspect? Oh they did, and they'll benefit. The customer won't, but they will.

You think all those bean counters at the Great ISO/5S black belt ninja certified mudah or whatever-cutting Toyota home offices in Japan didn't think this through from every aspect? Oh they did, and they'll benefit. The customer won't, but they will.
It will benefit.
People talk here like 2GR-FKS was some gem. It was a mediocre engine at best! Dead below 2,500rpms, so so between 2,500-4,500 then does something until 5,500 (and that something is questionable), and then dies again worse than some turbo engines at that rpms.
I was reading some comments on Toyota forums and the only conclusion is that these people missed the last 30 years.

Agree with regard to the German 4Ts. I was quite interested in a fairly recent 328 and LOVED the power train. I was *very* disappointed in my discomfort with the seat, and the wild proximity between my fingers and the windshield. Even with my seat back, the glass seemed close to my face and my fingers were getting caught on stalks and the dashboard (glove size XL). BUT, even driving moderately aggressively, the mill and transmission were a note of perfection, and the mpg on the extended test drive were IMPRESSIVE.
All 3 series have that seating position, but seats in the base 3 series are not something. Their sports seats on other hand, I would take over any true luxury car (I have them in my E90).
But N20 engine is an old one. New B46/48 in 330 with M performance package does 0-60 in 5-second range, is governed at 155mph, and has better real-world mpg than Toyota Camry hybrid.
It is going to absolutely obliterate any NA V6 in any vehicle.

It will benefit.
People talk here like 2GR-FKS was some gem. It was a mediocre engine at best! Dead below 2,500rpms, so so between 2,500-4,500 then does something until 5,500 (and that something is questionable), and then dies again worse than some turbo engines at that rpms.
I was reading some comments on Toyota forums and the only conclusion is that these people missed the last 30 years.
I'm not talking about performance. Performance per ci continues to climb in the market in general. So do faulty engine designs.

Horse carriage is more dependable than 2GR-FKS. But I don't see arguments to replace it.
Horse carriages are impractical. Reliable engines are not. They do however reduce volume of units sold.

All 3 series have that seating position, but seats in the base 3 series are not something. Their sports seats on other hand, I would take over any true luxury car (I have them in my E90).
But N20 engine is an old one. New B46/48 in 330 with M performance package does 0-60 in 5-second range, is governed at 155mph, and has better real-world mpg than Toyota Camry hybrid.
It is going to absolutely obliterate any NA V6 in any vehicle.
You're saying the B46/48 will get high 40's, low 50's mpg in real world mileage? That's what the 2019+ Camry Hybrid owners are getting in real world mileage

Maybe they are taking Top Gear's advice and drafting a Prius all the time.

Horse carriage is more dependable than 2GR-FKS. But I don't see arguments to replace it.
Ok ok we get it. You're a diehard Toyota hater. Go on and enjoy the ticking time bomb of the EA888, while us oldfarts enjoy the plush luxury of Japanese V6s. Just keep an eye on that plastic water-pump-heat-exchanger thingy, unless you already had to deal with it and replaced with a proper aluminum one. Or that wonderful turbo that is a PITA to get to when that wastegate finally decides to stop closing. Don't bother replacing the diverter valve when P0299 code pops up, as it is the wastegate arm inside the turbo housing that's the culpit. Anyways, I could go on and on about the wonderful world of VW (don't even get me started on the electrical gremlins) and all the painful and expensive memories of our 2013 VW Tiguan 4Motion. But unfortunately none of what I say will remove your pink shades of "VW/BMW is da best!!!"

Ok ok we get it. You're a diehard Toyota hater. Go on and enjoy the ticking time bomb of the EA888, while us oldfarts enjoy the plush luxury of Japanese V6s. Just keep an eye on that plastic water-pump-heat-exchanger thingy, unless you already had to deal with it and replaced with a proper aluminum one. Or that wonderful turbo that is a PITA to get to when that wastegate finally decides to stop closing. Don't bother replacing the diverter valve when P0299 code pops up, as it is the wastegate arm inside the turbo housing that's the culpit. Anyways, I could go on and on about the wonderful world of VW (don't even get me started on the electrical gremlins) and all the painful and expensive memories of our 2013 VW Tiguan 4Motion. But unfortunately none of what I say will remove your pink shades of "VW/BMW is da best!!!"
Hmmm, wastegate did not die, and if it does, unlike Tundra owners, I do not need to remove the whole body. And unlike Toyota wastegates, it does not die after 500 miles.
Unlike in my Toyota, my struts on VW are still good at 90k, while I am replacing in a few weeks leaky struts on Toyota with 85k on it (well they slowly leaking the last 7k). And brake master cyl. is original, as on any other car I owned, except on Toyota, which apparently it is a lottery.
It is interesting that you guys are dead on 2GR-FKS, an assembly that requires mandatory vacuum pump replacement at 100k which costs $1,200. I guess if you put "mandatory" it is not a problem but just maintenance.
Oh yes, let's not forget this $3,000 gem:
482DD31F-E8F1-405A-8CC5-4A8A92D20D15.jpeg

So, please spare me.

No it won’t turn it into X5. It is impossible whatsoever.
But, what moves these SUV’s is torque NOT hp! 309lb-ft at 1,500rpms is a dramatic increase over current engine which is 266 at 4,700rpms.
New engine is going to do between 2,000 and 4,000 much more than what old one can do at 4,700 to 5,500rpms. To catch up with new engine you will have to keep V6 around 5,000rpm constantly while new engine will still pull ahead while strolling between 2-4,000rpms.
If it makes you happy I'd gladly take a Toyota I4 engine over pretty much any other brand's I4 engine, but I'll take a V6 Toyota engine over a Toyota I4 engine. I'll take the smooth V6 quietness and refinement over getting the very last molecule of acceleration out of an engine any day of the week. Couldn't care less about anything European where I'd have to take out a 2nd mortgage to pay for an oil change.

Back